Rank the Batman Franchise!

In all honesty I have no real gripes with it either. The only reason why it's where it's at is I just enjoy the movies above it more. It's completely preference based, all three Nolan movies are goddamn masterpieces.

Batman '89
Batman Begins
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Birds of Prey
Joker

Suicide Squad
Batman '66
Batman v Superman
The Lego Batman Movie
Batman: Gotham Knight
Justice League

Batman & Robin

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Mask Of The Phantasm
Batman 1989
Batman Returns
Batman 1966
Batman Forever
Batman Vs Superman
Batman & Robin

I wont add Joker or Suicide Squad since they arent Batman movies.

Tbh, B&R is genuinely enjoyable to watch. Probably moreso than Forever, really.

Sometimes ya just gotta let **** go, guys

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight Rises
Mask Of The Phantasm
Batman 1989
Batman Returns
Batman V Superman (Ultimate Edition)
Justice League
Batman Forever
Suicide Squad
Batman & Robin

1.Mask Of The Phantasm (The best theatrical released Batman film. PERIOD!)
2.Batman Begins (Criminally underrated and a TRUE Batman film. Iconic and innovative performance from Bale and his best in the series.)
3. Batman 89 (Got a lot wrong but a lot right! Was dark and gothic as all out, very nostalgic and always a fun watch)
4. The Dark Knight (An intense ride and iconic performances all around, including one of if not THE most iconic villain performance in cinematic history!)
5. Batman Returns (Weird, strays a bit far from source material but nostalgic and a lot of fun!)
6. Batman Forever (Campy at times but very fun, shows some darker elements peaking through the camp. Beautiful film to look at, and Kilmer is the best Batman. Bruce, not so much)
7. The Dark Knight Rises (Great film, just not a great Batman film. Strays a little further from the characters of some than I’d prefer, and feels a bit too depressing at times. However, great performances all around and the BEST CATWOMAN!)
8. Batman V Superman (Affleck is a decent Bruce Wayne, terrible Batman. The writing is off on all facets and this film just feels really dull and boring. Hideous cinematography as well)
9. Batman & Robin (Camp galore, ridiculous but good for a laugh and I suppose Victor’s Grinch heart growing at the end and Alfred surviving was touching.)
10. Suicide Squad (He’s in it for 0.2 seconds but he was fine until the Deadshot scene, then it was just awkward)
11. Justice League (F*** this abomination)

You know it's true. It's not a good movie, let alone a good Batman movie.
Idk, it does have great cinematography/set pieces, the best score in the whole trilogy, Bale is on top of his game and given a compelling final arc, great Catwoman from Hathaway etc. But I guess "lolz da Bane voice" negates all of that suddenly

I think TDKR is also kind of brave in that it doesn't subscribe to the usual Hollywood trend of romanticising revolution, and instead depicts those revolutionary types as being duplicitous and using class struggle as a means to bring death and destruction to everyone, regardless of their social standing. Not unlike Phillips' Joker, in that regard.

Idk, it does have great cinematography/set pieces, the best score in the whole trilogy, Bale is on top of his game and given a compelling final arc, great Catwoman from Hathaway etc. But I guess "lolz da Bane voice" negates all of that suddenly

All of your posts are terrible.

Terrible because he's right? People love to s*** on TDKR, but its still better than most CBM's with incredible performances (including Tom Hardys Bane), an amazing score, a sense of epic scale with action scenes, and it's emotional pay off is outstanding. I've said it before, but that scene of Bruce climbing out of the prison is the perfect example of a characters arc coming full circle. I'm also one of the people who feels Hathaways Catwoman is the best film adaption of the character so far.

I've wondered if people intentionally try to drag TDKR through the mud to try to smear the qaulity of the trilogy because of the standard it's held up to. It's not a perfect movie, but it's still a great one.

Last edited:
I've wondered if people intentionally try to drag TDKR through the mud to try to smear the qaulity of the trilogy because of the standard it's held up to. It's not a perfect movie, but it's still a great one.

I think a lot the criticism exists because one way or another, the film didn't some people's very, very specific expectations. Either that this film would be as good or better than the near universally acclaimed film that preceded it, or that the film would perfectly match, or at least not blatantly contradict the idea of Batman they have in their head, even if the comics themselves don't entirely or always support that idea either.

Even if some of us have issues with the script, editing, fight scenes...there is no question about it that Pfister’s cinematography, Zimmer’s score and the action (specifically aerial & chase sequences) are insanely well directed. It also goes places that no other comic book movie went. For those things alone, I would rate the film above 90 percent of CBM’s (especially Marvel). Even with its flaws.

I think a lot the criticism exists because one way or another, the film didn't some people's very, very specific expectations. Either that this film would be as good or better than the near universally acclaimed film that preceded it, or that the film would perfectly match, or at least not blatantly contradict the idea of Batman they have in their head, even if the comics themselves don't entirely or always support that idea either.
Yeah that's true. Going into TDKR, I wasn't even expecting it to top TDK, and I ended up being satisfied regardless. if you look at the record of "3rd films" before that in the superhero genre, it wasn't good so the fact that TDKR turned out as satisfying as it was, to me at least, is pretty damn lucky.

I've said this before and I'll say it again TDKR is immensely flawed, but I still consider it a more than worthy and satisfying conclusion for the Nolan Trilogy which is really all I wanted at the end of the day. Sure its not as good as TDK or maybe even Begins, but what Nolan was able to do with that film and the amount of effort that went in making it feel like the biggest and boldest film in the franchise is nothing short of impressive IMO.

I also can't think of a blockbuster that's been more relevant now than ever and this is a film that came out almost 10 years ago, so in a way it was definitely ahead of its time strangely enough.

Terrible because he's right? People love to s*** on TDKR, but its still better than most CBM's with incredible performances (including Tom Hardys Bane), an amazing score, a sense of epic scale with action scenes, and it's emotional pay off is outstanding. I've said it before, but that scene of Bruce climbing out of the prison is the perfect example of a characters arc coming full circle. I'm also one of the people who feels Hathaways Catwoman is the best film adaption of the character so far.

Nah. I'd say the passionate hatred for TDKR comes from two main angles, which can of course overlap in the same person:

1. Rises presents the opposite of the traditional dark indulgent fantasy of the franchise: a Batman who both wins, and is able to stop being Batman. This conflicts strongly with the image some fans have, of a Batman who is doomed, one way or another, and implicitly one whose only value is in their dark doomed mission. Batman no longer needing to be Batman devalues this particular fantasy.

2. Rises was, prior to release, hyped up by some fans as this impossible second coming miracle, a movie that would make Dark Knight look like Dark Knight makes all other movies. . . at least in the minds of certain fans. The fact that it proceeded to not only be *not* as good as the prior movie, but to be utterly blown away in the cultural discourse by That Other Big Superhero Movie of 2012? Unforgivable.

The fact that fans can’t have an open mind to at least one version where Bruce gets a happy ending...is...ugh.

I mean don’t we all want that for the character? That’s why I get emotional every time I see that ending. I agree with everyone who’s number one preference is to see a Batman who is doomed. That’s my Batman too. But for ONE TIME it was beautiful that somebody gave him a happy ending. Even better that it was for a likeable on screen Bruce Wayne.

I applaud Nolan for that ending every single time. He said F OFF to the extended universe building and did something no comic book is allowed to do.

Nice for Alfred too. The old geezer should catch a lucky break now and again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"