The Dark Knight 10/10
The Dark Knight Rises 9/10
Batman (1989) 8/10
Batman Begins 8/10
Batman Returns 7/10
Batman Forever 5/10
Batman & Robin 1/10

Here goes mine:

1. The Dark Knight Rises ( I understand the criticism, but I loved it)
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman (89)
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman & Robin

Sure, I'll play.

1. The Dark Knight - 9.5
2. Batman Begins - 8.5
3. Batman (89) - 7.5
4. The Dark Knight Rises - 7.49
5. Batman Returns - 6
6. Batman Forever - 5
7. Batman and Robin - 0.5 (and that's only for comedic value)

:o

How predictable. lol. I explained why I put it last, yeah even below B&R. Either accept the explanation or don't. No need to flame me. I know its a shock but not everyone's perceptions are the same.

I could turn around and say "you should be in Arkham for thinking that three hour abortion was a good Batman film". I respect that you liked it though and I'm glad you did. I didn't put TDKR behind B&R because I think B&R is better or even good. Go back and read my explanation.

While I disagree with your list, I understand why you have TDKR so low. Correct me if I'm reading you wrong, but its an expectations issue, right? The same reason I labeled Wolfman as the worst movie in the last 10 years. It was TERRIBLE, but worse than terrible because of its high expectations.

Did I get you right? If so, I totally understand.

If I add in the 60's film and animated movies, as others have:

1. The Dark Knight - 9.5
2. Batman Begins - 8.5
3. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 - 8.3
4. Batman: Under the Red Hood - 8
5. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker - 7.8
6. Batman (89) - 7.5
7. The Dark Knight Rises - 7.49
8. Batman: Year One - 7.25
9. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - 7
10. Batman Returns - 6
11. Batman Forever - 5
12. Batman The Movie - 3
13. Batman and Robin - 0.5 (and that's only for comedic value)

While I disagree with your list, I understand why you have TDKR so low. Correct me if I'm reading you wrong, but its an expectations issue, right? The same reason I labeled Wolfman as the worst movie in the last 10 years. It was TERRIBLE, but worse than terrible because of its high expectations.

Did I get you right? If so, I totally understand.
Personally, I'm of the philosophy that you should be able to differentiate from your expectations and the actual quality of a film.

Personally, I'm of the philosophy that you should be able to differentiate from your expectations and the actual quality of a film.

I agree completely. Personally I think that original poster is still in over-reactionary mode because the film is still fresh. And when a film is fresh, it's hard to separate the quality and expectations.

I was very let down with TDKR, much like he was. But I wouldn't EVER say it was worse than Batman and Robin. That being said, I understand why he put it down there at this point.

As a film, TDKR was, IMO a 7.5. When you take into account the expecations built up by its predecessor, you decrease it by the difference. I expected it to be a 9 (better than Begins, not as amazing as TDK), it was actually a 7.5. Take that difference, I'd say the reactionary rating is a 6.5.... still WAY ahead of Batman and Robin.

Wolfman didn't have those predecessor to compare it to or build expectations off of, so that formula doesn't apply here. That movie was in the planning process for YEEEEARS. It's a classic, epic story that has survived the passage of time. We got a comedy. Wolfman SHOULD have been a modern classic. Instead, we got kicked in the face. As a film, it was a 3.5, AT BEST. With those expectations, it gets a :whatever: AT BEST. That movie was a complete joke. But that's a different issue. Sorry for the aside.

1. Batman Begins
2. The Dark Knight / The Dark Knight Rises
3. Batman
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman Forever

1850. Batman & Robin

Personally, I feel as though TDKR is at least an 8 or 9. For a few reasons...

1. The massively expansive plotting. I really feel as though the concept of having such a massive plot is a bit of a lost art. Tale of Two Cities did it, Les Mes did it, but there aren't many examples of examples of that kind of plotting in modern cinema. I wouldn't want every movie to be as dense as TDKR is, but I did like seeing it for a change.

2. I found it extremely clever just how Nolan weaved hos subtext into TDKR. Most filmmakers would've gotten stuck on making the obvious and overdone economical point or exploring the personal character arc with Bruce Wayne. Instead, Nolan merely uses these aspects of the film to instead illustrate a larger, more encompassing point about faith, self-empowerment and the dichotomy between being a dictating your will onto others or reacting to others' wills. It's a complex concept that can be translated from everything from religion to politics, social structure and personal emotional growth.

3. It featured several extremely strong performances. Hardy played Bane with a frivolity and panache that always makes for a great villain, I will always argue that Levitt stole th, show with his multilayered and meaningful rendition of an everyman thrust among larger than life figures and situations, and both Oldman and Caine served as great supports for the film.

4. I think all of the technical elements of the film were spot on - and probably the best of the series. From the cinematography to the score, to the art direction and sound mixing, everything was wondering done.

I think TDK still shines brighter as a visceral, emotional experience. Ledger did really catch lightning in a bottle with his performance, and it emmerses the viewer instantly and thoroughly, but TDKR definitely has a different set of successes all unto its own.

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. The Dark Knight Rises
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman
6. Batman Forever
7. Batman & Robin

1. The massively expansive plotting. I really feel as though the concept of having such a massive plot is a bit of a lost art. Tale of Two Cities did it, Les Mes did it, but there aren't many examples of examples of that kind of plotting in modern cinema. I wouldn't want every movie to be as dense as TDKR is, but I did like seeing it for a change.

2. I found it extremely clever just how Nolan weaved hos subtext into TDKR. Most filmmakers would've gotten stuck on making the obvious and overdone economical point or exploring the personal character arc with Bruce Wayne. Instead, Nolan merely uses these aspects of the film to instead illustrate a larger, more encompassing point about faith, self-empowerment and the dichotomy between being a dictating your will onto others or reacting to others' wills. It's a complex concept that can be translated from everything from religion to politics, social structure and personal emotional growth.

3. It featured several extremely strong performances. Hardy played Bane with a frivolity and panache that always makes for a great villain, I will always argue that Levitt stole th, show with his multilayered and meaningful rendition of an everyman thrust among larger than life figures and situations, and both Oldman and Caine served as great supports for the film.

4. I think all of the technical elements of the film were spot on - and probably the best of the series. From the cinematography to the score, to the art direction and sound mixing, everything was wondering done.

I think TDK still shines brighter as a visceral, emotional experience. Ledger did really catch lightning in a bottle with his performance, and it emmerses the viewer instantly and thoroughly, but TDKR definitely has a different set of successes all unto its own.

All of the things you mentioned were the bright spots for sure. The cinematography, the subtext, the philosophy, the acting... All great. My problem was the practical stuff.

The story was great, but the script was lazy, IMO.

As good as that story was, I would've preferred something more unique from BB.

The loopholes and questionable practicality of the film ruined it for me. Driving a bomb around Gotham for months? A terrible plot device to allow Bruce to "rise" from the pit. I would have had Bane show up, attack Batman, break him, send him to the pit, go through all of that while Bane's plan is still in the planning stage. That way it doesnt seem like theyre waiting for him to come back.

The misuse of Talia. She was basically wasted. Fake CEO or whatever, a hookup with Bruce and death in a semi truck. Underutilized.

Catwoman, while VERY well done seemed a little forced on the audience at times.

The last thought I have right now (lunch break), a lot of people with disagree with me, but the single greatest moment in that film was the end, with Bruce in Europe and John Blake finding the Batcave. It really shows that Batman isn't a man, but a symbol. That was the point of the story.

Again, just my opinions.

I'm surprised you can rate TDKR an 8 or a 9, CConn, considering I saw you say you found two of the leading characters, Hathaway's Selina and Bale's Batman, utterly unlikable.

1) Batman Begins 8/10
2) Batman (1989) 6/10
3) The Dark Knight 5/10
4) Batman Returns 3.5/10
5) The Dark Knight Rises 3/10
6) Batman Forever 1.5/10
7) Batman & Robin 0.5/10

Batman - The Movie (seen as a comedy) 8/10

LOVE
1) The Dark Knight
2) Batman Begins
3) The Dark Knight Rises (wasn't thrilled with it initially, but I've come to appreciate it more with multiple viewings)

4) Batman
5) Batman Forever (I know most people don't like it, but I enjoyed it)

DON'T PARTICULARLY CARE FOR
6) Batman Returns
7) Batman & Robin

The Dark Knight Rises: 9.5/10
The Dark Knight: 9/10
Batman Begins: 8-9/10
Batman Returns: 8/10

Those are my favorites. I'm not fond of the others, though the Alfred subplot in Batman and Robin was very touching, and out of place amidst everything else.

I'll list out the titans of the live-action franchise.

1. Batman (1989) - Part of its appeal is admittedly nostalgia, but that it's still good after 20+ years means it has been elevated to a classic in my book. Michael Keaton remains my favorite in the role.

2. The Dark Knight - This holds up better than ever after four years.

3. Batman Returns - Deserving of this spot if not by atmosphere and style alone.

4. Batman Begins - One of the best origin stories on film.

5. The Dark Knight Rises - It had promising ideas (Bruce Wayne overcoming his physical weaknesses, a new tyrant that rules over Gotham, etc.), but this turned out so... half-baked. It was poorly written, poorly edited, and was filled with as many bad concepts as were good. I'll never watch it again from start to finish, but may check out isolated scenes such as the first fight between Batman and Bane.

:up:

And adding to the list, there are subtle moments that I've come to really appreciate as well in TDKR. I actually noticed how, after Bane revealed the lie about Harvey Dent, Gordon goes into hiding for a bit and when the priest asked Blake where Gordon is, Blake said he didn't need to know which makes you think that Blake was keeping Gordon safe from the Gothamites that would cause trouble without showing it in the film(since the film was already tight on the IMAX run time limit). You appreciate the little subtle hints throughout the film more times you watch it.

#1 The Dark Knight
#2 Batman Begins (close for first place)

Other than that, I enjoyed Pfeiffer's, Hardy's and Hathaway's performances.

Last edited:
Where would Batman Returns be in your list then? Or TDKR?

Batman Begins
Dark Knight
Batman
Dark Knight Rises
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
Batman Returns

1. Batman
2. Batman Forever
3. Batman Returns
4. Mask of the Phantasm
5. Batman (1966)
6. Batman & Robin
7. Dark Knight
8. Batman Begins
9. Dark Knight Rises

Batman('89)
Batman Returns
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Batman Forever
Batman&Robin
Batman:The Movie(1966)

First post ever on this forum. Being a Batman fan, this thread is a good place to start......

I only want to rank the live action films that I have seen.

1. The Dark Knight Rises
2. The Dark Knight
3. Batman (1989)
4. Batman Begins
5. Batman Returns
6. Batman: The Movie (1966)
7 & 8. Batman Forever and Batman & Robin (tied for dead last in my book)

Great:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
Batman Begins (2005)
The Dark Knight (2008)
The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Good:
Batman: The Movie (1966)
Batman (1989)
Batman Returns (1992)
Batman Forever (1995)

Bad:
Batman & Robin (1997)