Single

Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
Avengers Age of Ultron

Bunt

The Incredible Hulk
Thor The Dark World

Last edited:
My ranking is based on critical praise, impact on fandom and then box office last.

Grand Slam

Iron Man

Home Run

Avengers
Avengers: Age of Ultron
Captain America: The First Avenger
Captain America Winter Soldier

Triple

Iron Man 2
Ant-Man

Double

Iron Man 3
Thor
Guardians of the Galaxy
The Incredible Hulk
Thor The Dark World

Daredevil and Jessica Jones season 1's would be up in the grand slam area with Iron Man 1 if they were movies. Agents of Shield season 1 would be a single(and the only occupant of that category in the MCU), it's season 2 would be a double. Agent Carter season 1 would be a triple.

Last edited:
The thing is, I've never liked Cap before the movies came out. I'm first and foremost a Hulk and Iron Man fan. And yes by extension of that I'm also an Avengers fan. But I have Hulk(who is my favorite character)'s movie down near the bottom. And while I still think IM1 is the best superhero movie ever made I readily admit that the sequels aren't as great.

It's just that I have loved both Cap films equally and if Civil War finishes as strong then I'll have no problem saying Cap has the best superhero trilogy to date(even though Iron Man has the single best installment within his trilogy). Right now for me the Iron Man trilogy is the best superhero trilogy I've seen so far and the only one without a bad film in it. But I very well might be singing a different tune in 5 months.

Yeah, if Civil War is nearly as good as Winter Soldier, I'd have no problem ranking as the top SH trilogy.

I'm not really a fan of Batman Begins or TDKR.

For me only BB stands up in Nolan's trilogy. And in terms of baseball analogies I'd still only call BB a triple.

Grand Slam

Avengers
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Daredevil

Home Run
Iron Man 3
Guardians of the Galaxy

Triple

Iron Man
Thor
Ant-Man
Jessica Jones
Agent Carter
AoS Season 2

Double
Iron Man 2
The Incredible Hulk
Thor The Dark World
AoS Season 1 (I liked it better than most people did)

I go back and forth on preferring the first Iron Man or the third one. I really like the third one, even though that isn't a popular opinion.

I would consider a Home Run, the same as a Grand Slam. That's just me. Also, it's hard using the baseball analogy because even a single is considered good. :huh:

Also it's bunt not punt.

Last edited:
I would consider a Home Run, the same as a Grand Slam. That's just me. Also, it's hard using the baseball analogy because even a single is considered good. :huh:

Also it's bunt not punt.

A grand slam scores you four points. A home run scores less than four. So a grandslam is the best thing that can happen while you're at bat.

I consider Avengers a grandslam because it brought in all the other base hits in for one big score.

And a single is not the worst or best thing to happen at bat. It's at least better than striking out.

I didn't list strike outs because IMO Marvel Studios hasn't had any.

Feel free to list strike out movies if you so choose.

Interesting idea for a thread. It's also telling that even their worst films put them on base. I'd be interested to see someone argue that they've ever struck out given everything they have released, including TDW and IM2, were warmly received.

Imo, even the "worst" MCU movies are much better than the worst of other superhero franchises.

With some exceptions(Donner's first Superman movie, Batman Begins) I'd say even the worst of the MCU is as good or better than the BEST of other superhero franchises. There's no X-Men or Spider-man movie in existence that I'd give higher than a 3 out of 4 stars to and to me that's where I have Thor2 and TIH at the bottom of the MCU barrel....just good without any other qualifier(a double in baseball terms).

Well even the maligned TASM2 is not as bad as Elektra or Batman and Robin.

So for people to say T: DW, IM2 or TIH are "bad" I don't understand.

So is a bunt considered less than a single? Because I'm assuming the bunt is successful, and the batter made it to base, making it the equivalent of a single. Or is the outcome of the bunt in question? Like you could list a movie as a "hit ball", where we don't know if it resulted in an out or a base hit. And I assume if you wanted to list a movie as really, really bad, you wouldn't list it as a "strike out"; you would list it as a "double play" or "triple play", which are both decidedly worse than a strike out.

I laughed at this thread. It was a jolly, good-natured laugh, though. So no worries.

I don't see a problem with this thread outside a couple nit picks.

With some exceptions(Donner's first Superman movie, Batman Begins) I'd say even the worst of the MCU is as good or better than the BEST of other superhero franchises. There's no X-Men or Spider-man movie in existence that I'd give higher than a 3 out of 4 stars to and to me that's where I have Thor2 and TIH at the bottom of the MCU barrel....just good without any other qualifier(a double in baseball terms).

I think Nolan's trilogy (at least the first two) along with the first Raimi Spider-man film and maybe X-men and X-men FC are all really good movies, better than the bottom of the barrel MCU movies. I've said for a long time that people enjoy exaggerating how supposedly "bad" those movies are.

So is a bunt considered less than a single? Because I'm assuming the bunt is successful, and the batter made it to base, making it the equivalent of a single. Or is the outcome of the bunt in question? Like you could list a movie as a "hit ball", where we don't know if it resulted in an out or a base hit. And I assume if you wanted to list a movie as really, really bad, you wouldn't list it as a "strike out"; you would list it as a "double play" or "triple play", which are both decidedly worse than a strike out.

Lol I don't know much about baseball but, from my limited knowledge, I considered a "bunt" to be a movie that was successful and got them on base, but not in the most graceful way possible.

can I use Skiing terminology? because alpine skiing is an equally irrelevant sport outside the Alps as Baseball is outside the US and Japan

can I use Skiing terminology? because alpine skiing is an equally irrelevant sport outside the Alps as Baseball is outside the US and Japan

Sure but it will probably confuse even more people than baseball terms. :cwink:

Well even the maligned TASM2 is not as bad as Elektra or Batman and Robin.

So for people to say T: DW, IM2 or TIH are "bad" I don't understand.

I agree. Even X3 is not as bad as everyone says,there are much worse CBMs imo.

Grand Slam:
Age of Ultron (Yea I know... Shoot me!)

Homerun:
Ironman
Winter Soldier
Ant-Man

Triple:
Avengers

Double:
Guardians of the Galaxy
Incredible Hulk

Single:
Ironman 2
First Avenger

Bunt:
Thor

Strikeout:
Ironman 3
Dark World

Grand Slam:
Avengers
Captain America:The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Thor

Homerun:
Iron Man
Thor:The Dark World
Iron Man 2
Iron Man 3
The Incredible Hulk

Triple:
none

Double:
Ant-man

Yes, I think the MCU is *that* good. They're all masterpieces or nearly masterpieces, except Ant-man.

Grand Slam
Iron Man
Avengers
Captain America Winter Soldier

Home Run
Ant-Man
Iron Man 3

Triple
Thor
Thor The Dark World