Rank the Summer Movies

DACrowe

Avenger
Reaction score
Well the summer movie season is over, save for a few stragglers (and I have serious doubts anyone is waiting to praise the Ben-Hur remake). So this is a thread that will allow you to rank your favorite summer movies, as well as pick your favorite, from as many as I could include in the list. ;)

It was a real tough summer both for studios' bottom lines, and for critics and audience's sanity with a lot of poorly reviewed and poor WOM ventures. So let the bloodbath begin!

(My own ranking is below).

Conjuring 2, but most likely:

Pete-Dragon-Poster.jpg

Only two trailers have made my cry/tear up this year - this trailer due to how nostalgic it feels (and from the reviews it nails that) and 'A Monster Calls.'

Conjuring 2
Civil War
The Secret Life Of Pets

Tarzan
Swiss Army Man
Star Trek: Beyond
The Nice Guys
The BFG

TMNT 2
Suicide Squad
Independence Day: Resurgence
Nerve (it's just fun and overall entertaining)
Ghostbusters
Captain Fantastic
Lights Out

X-Men: Apocalypse
Now You See Me 2
Purge: Election Year
Money Monster

Jason Bourne (low rating, but the movie had no idea what it wanted to be - it wasn't a good sequel to restart the franchise, it wasn't a good sequel to end a franchise, nor was it a good tech thriller - it was just something that tried to be everything and ended up being nothing special)
Angry Birds
Neighbors 2

Last edited:
The Nice Guys
Love and Friendship
Civil War
The Lobster
Neighbors 2.

(Haven't yet seen Cafe Society, Personal Shopper, Wiener-Dog, or Neon Demon, all of which would probably end up here.)

Finding Dory
The Conjuring 2
Civil War
Beyond
Ghostbusters
Jason
Apocalypse
Legend of Tarzan
Angry Birds
Suicide Squad
Out of the Shadows
Through the Looking Glass
Collision Course
Resurgence
Warcraft

I'm done with Summer 2016 movies! I'm not really interested to Pete's Dragon and other upcoming August movies.

I figured there would be a few more takers, hm.

My favorites this summer have been:

1. The Nice Guys
2. Love & Friendship
3. Captain America: Civil War
4. Hunt for Wilderpeople
5. The Conjuring 2
6. Cafe Society
7. Neighbors 2
8. Star Trek Beyond

Yes, this has overall though been one of the weakest summers for movies ever.

I liked Civil War and The Nice Guys.

**** everything else.

(jk, there were a lot of movies I didn't see. But of the ones I DID see, those were the only good ones.)

Oh there are a few I will put on the "**** this" list. ;)

[casts a side eye towards TMNT: Out of the Shadows, the Purge 3 and Independence Day: Resurgence]

With that said I did not hate Legend of Tarzan or Suicide Squad like the critics and most folks. They were not very good either, but I enjoyed watching them well enough just once.

The Neon Demon.

Blockbusters have disappointed the hell outta me this year.

1. The Nice Guys
2. Star Trek Beyond
3. Civil War

I haven't seen anything else this summer. And why in the hell would I? This year's movies in general have just crushed my soul. I'm more sad now after all the anger. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm eagerly looking forward to the fall movie season with the "Oscar bait films."

I'll save my full list for when I see The Nice Guys since it hits On Demand in a couple of weeks, but for now the best I've seen is Civil War. It's been a lackluster summer, but I haven't seen anything that was outright garbage. I'm seeing Suicide Squad tonight and Sausage Party at some point next week and that'll about do it for my summer.

1. The Nice Guys
2. Star Trek Beyond
3. Civil War

I haven't seen anything else this summer. And why in the hell would I? This year's movies in general have just crushed my soul. I'm more sad now after all the anger. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm eagerly looking forward to the fall movie season with the "Oscar bait films."

There were some quality indies this summer with Love & Friendship, Hunt for Wilderpeople, Cafe Society, The Lobster, and Swiss Army Man. Also some people loved Neon Demon. I kind of hated it, but it definitely gets a visceral response (though it is not nearly as feminist as Refn crazily believes).

So there is good stuff out there. But yes, the blockbusters have been especially bad this year. The best ones actually came out in the spring or winter with Deadpool, Zootopia, and The Jungle Book. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"