Your Favorite Spider-Man Animated Show

Discussion in 'Spidey-World' started by UltimateWebhead, Jun 27, 2014.

?

Your favorite Spider-Man animated show

1. Spider-Man (1967-1970)

2. Spider-Man (1981-1982)

3. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (1981-1983)

4. Spider-Man (1994-1998)

5. Spider-Man Unlimited (1999-2001)

6. Spider-Man The New Animated Series (2003)

7. The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008-2009)

8. Ultimate Spider-Man (2012-present)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. harryoscop Registered

1. Spectacular Spider-Man :woot:
    2. Spider-Man The New Animated Series
    3. Spider-Man (1994)
    4. Spider-Man Unlimited
    5. Spider-Man & and his Amazing friends
    6. Spider-Man (1981)
    7. Spider-Man (1967)
    8. Ultimate Spider-Man

2. Keehar Registered

Spectacular just made him one of the Enforcers. That wasn't adding depth.

3. Spider-Aziz Gomez Adams and Mulan

He taught Spidey a cool quote:
    "A man's gotta honor his responsibilities, and you're one of mine"

4. Arachnid The Spectacular Webhead

1. The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008-2009)
    2. Spider-Man (1994-1998)
    3. Spider-Man (1967-1970)
    4. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (1981-1983)
    5. Spider-Man Unlimited (1999-2001)

Haven't watched
    Spider-Man (1981-1982)
    Spider-Man The New Animated Series (2003)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (2012-present)

5. Doctor Octopus Registered

You not missing anything good with Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon Arrowhead lol.

6. MrSpyder Spider-Man's in the MCU

Like most here these are my favorite:

1. The Spectacular Spider-Man (2008-2009)
    2. Spider-Man (1994-1998)
    3. Spider-Man (1967-1970)
    4. Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends (1981-1983)

7. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I'm still hoping that one day we'll get a definitive Spider-man animated series. I'd even be happy if Marvel adapted major Spidey stories like DC is doing with Batman's animated movies.

8. Spider-Aziz Gomez Adams and Mulan

You don't think Spectacular was on its way to be the one?

9. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

Based on the 26 episodes that were produced, I'd say it already achieved a defining status.

10. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

SSM's animation was undeniably terrible. Yes, the storytelling was based fairly close to the comics, but a show that has characters who look like big-eyed dolls instead of people is clearly aiming to entertain kids first. A definitive show would have to be realistically drawn, not skimp on any visuals for the character's powers, nor shy away from the gravitas moments (like S:TAS did at time) from Spidey's comic past.

11. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

You are confusing and combining animation with character design. They are separate entities. TSSM's animation was excellent.

12. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

They are inextricably linked. When characters are anatomically over-stylized, it handicaps both normal movement and battle scenes. SSM's battle scenes suffered from that. Plus, the show was stifled by the Y-7 rating. I don't think there will ever be a definitive Spider-man animated show unless Marvel decides to produce a show with a PG-13 level of violence and themes.

13. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

Character design is drawing the visual style of the characters and the environment. Animation is motion. They are separate. Different artists are used for each category. They are only linked in the sense that they are both pieces to a puzzle. You can't complete a puzzle without all the pieces.

If you're looking for a handicap that stifles normal movement and battle scenes you should rewatch the 90's series. The character designs are detailed and the animation is not good. I think you're once again confused. This time mixing up shows, since it was the 90's series being stifled by the censorship issues. TSSM was also censored to a degree however the creators of the show were creative in their ability to challenge those restrictions.

Over-stylized?? The character designs were kept simple in TSSM to benefit the movement. Easily animatable is the mantra of Victor Cook and he succeeded in bringing about a very fluid animated Spider-Man that actually moves. There are many examples of this and the S6 fight in 'Group Therapy' is a great place to start. The only handicap in that fight scene was how alarmingly awesome it is.

*sigh* A definitive series or entity has nothing to do with rating. It's about the ability of that entity, in this case a tv show, to portray characters and stories in a manner that is consistent with the original intent and core traits of said characters/stories. The ability of that entity to have mass appeal, update the content of the original in a way that keeps the iconic and classic traits intact while making contemporary changes. TSSM did this with brilliance and then some.

14. Sarcastic Fan King of Hell

[​IMG]

15. zeptron Registered

Exactly. I mean the animation during the S6 fight in the park in Group Therapy was smooth and fluid. And the way the black suit took out the S6 was pretty brilliant. Especially what he did to Sandman.

I constantly find myself having to explain to people that the more realistic the art is, the slower the actual animation is and the more time it takes to create a frame and that can actually make for crappy action sequences. Because it's not like that the creators have all the time in the world to make these. But if the art is more simplistic, the better the characters move and the action sequences are faster to make and that makes more frames = better action sequences.

16. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

Animation is the illusion of motion by means of sequential imagery. The central images in a cartoon such as SSM are the characters, which were anatomically distorted, but the backgrounds were only mediocre as well. The strength of that series was the decent, but too kid-centric, storytelling.

I'm not confused about the differences between the the '94 S:TAS since I think it's the best overall version of Spider-man in animation. While the CG backgrounds suffered from that technique in its infancy, the character designs were more realistic and the storytelling slightly more mature than SSM. However, I also wouldn't consider that show definitive as it was also hampered by the parameters of a kid-friendly rating.

[​IMG]

17. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

Animation is motion. There's no need to illustrate the meaning with uneeded language. And, the animation is TSSM is one of the highlights.

I said you were confusing the shows because the opinion that one of the shows was hampered by censorship issues and due to that had battle/fight scenes that were either bland or uninteresting falls more into line with the 90s series and not TSSM. While the 90s series did have character designs that were more realistic the animation of that show was often lacking. Not to mention the designs themselves had every male character built like Brock Lesnar minus a few such as Kingpin for example. Not sure where you live but the majority of 'real' folks don't look like bodybuilders nor heavily stacked MMA fighters. The animation in the 90s series was also hampered by the consistent reuse of footage.

I don't agree the storylines were any more mature in the 90s show than what we see in TSSM.

Again, the rating of a show has no bearing on whether or not that show is able to achieve a defining status. I'll just go ahead and repost this since you may have skipped over it.

18. zeptron Registered

I really wouldn't consider things like a character having a drug addiction, a character having a heart attack, a character that had a gambling problem, an abusive father, or death threats such as heart impalement "kid-centric". These are things that the TAS wouldn't have even allowed because of it's censorship.

Yeah, when I look at Peter in that show, I have a hard time believing that a guy his size was pushed around by Flash Thompson.

19. Lantern Venom Lego SUCKS

I guess we have polar opposite impressions of not only SSM, but animation and TV in general. I completely disagree that the rating of a show is inconsequential. It's the first indicator that important events won't even be touched due to their graphic nature (like Gwen getting her neck snapped) and certain character traits will be toned down or omitted. The childish design of the show was the second indicator that SSM wouldn't stand a chance of being a definitive Spidey show. Ultimate Spider-man actually has far better animation than SSM, but the storytelling has been so spotty that it can't save the show. Also, fair or not, the cancellation of SSM at 26 episodes slammed the door shut on the show becoming what it should have been.

Don't misunderstand and think that I think SSM didn't have its moments. It was a fairly decent effort and certainly got some new youngsters introduced to the Spidey mythos. However, a definitive show for Spider-man necessitates a long-running, fearless show that hits all of the major beats in the character's history (at least prior to One More Day) and isn't afraid to leave the backdrop of school behind.

20. Joined:
    Jun 24, 2013
    I'm going to be ballsy and say The New Animated Series was the best.

21. zeptron Registered

This wouldn't have happened in the TV show, however afterwards the creators wanted to do some DTVs which would have contained darker stories. Including a potential adaptation of "The Night Gwen Stacy Died". They can probably get away with more stuff on those than on TV. For instance, in Batman Mask Of The Phantasm, the Joker and the Phantasm were both allowed to kill people. And the fight scenes were violent.(IE Joker gets a tooth knocked out). Batman TAS as dark as it could be never would have allowed it.

The designs weren't "childish"(I'm really beginning to dislike that word). They were just simplistic.

22. UltimateWebhead Black's the new Red&Blue

Yes, indeed.

TSSM, as pointed out by Weisman, was never going to touch the 'Death of Gwen Stacy,' but this has nothing to do with the rating. It's the fact that the original planned 65 episode run would have taken Peter and Co through the beginning of the junior year of HS through graduation. Again, as Weisman pointed out, and as many an educated Spidey fan would also point out, Gwen doesn't die in HS. She dies well into the college era of Peter Parker. Weisman stated they would have waited until then to complete that task at which time they would have been releasing direct to DVDs.

This is all beside the point anyway. TSSM while bound by certain censors still provided plenty of material that was a challenge to those censors and more importantly, never diminished core traits or characteristics of the major players. Streamlined? Yes. But, toned down or omitted? No. Just another measure of how brilliant TSSM actually is. Drug addiction, abuse, death, sexual innuendo, etc. were all present in TSSM. Some, including myself would have to say this show did a better job of including those censor challenges than even the movies do with their 'PG-13' rating. Even with their increased rating, the movies never captured certain elements from the Spidey mythos. See ASM2 as an example of a royal screw-up for the aforementioned Death of Gwen Stacy.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but calling the designs 'childish' is rather ridiculous, imo. The correct observation would be simplified designs. All meant to provide a benefit for the animation to create outstanding action sequences.

I wouldn't doubt the USM should have better animation as it is being produced several years after TSSM and is most likely being afforded a higher budget. Calling the storytelling in USM 'spotty' is being extremely generous. Animation aside, there really is no true positives for USM. The voice acting, dialogue, writing, character development, have all been atrocious. I find a decent moment here and there but nothing to make me think this show is capable of being saved. Then again, it is written for 6 year olds. Good animation, terribly poor writing does not even come close to making a defining mark for Spidey. I can only hope the young kids that are becoming fans of Spidey because of USM will cause them to reach out and begin reading the original comics and come to see the horrible garbage that is USM.

Well, according to you it wasn't going to become much of anything at all. Kid-centric stories and 'childish' character designs be damned. Am I right or are you now contradicting yourself?

I tend to be more positive. Although the cancellation of the show is saddening, I look at how much the show was able to accomplish in as much as the 26 episodes that were produced. It covered quite a bit of ground and gave us the best rendition of Peter and Spidey outside of the original books.

It got many long time Spidey fans, such as myself, deeply vested as well.

I don't think we're going to agree on what encompasses a definitive show. IMO, TSSM is the closest we've come in any medium for the reasons I've provided in previous posts here and elsewhere. And it didn't need a long run in order to accomplish that feat though had it been able to finish at least the original plan of 65 episodes, imo, this would have only increased the foundation for that argument. I'd love to see a show come along and top what TSSM has done but sadly given the current state of affairs with animated productions lately, this probably won't happen for quite some time.

23. Decepticonus Registered

I tried watching Spectacular Spider-Man and it just didn't do much for me. Honestly, I think the hype killed it for me. People were acting like this was the next Batman TAS, but it came off like regular kids entertainment to me. And yeah, those designs... not a huge fan. A shame cause I liked how it brought in Gwen Stacy, I believed they used Ultimate Venom right? Plus, Greg Weisman - creator of Gargoyles on it. I don't know, maybe one day I'll give it another chance when it pops up.

I thoroughly enjoy Ultimate. I could do without the team buuuuuut it does help add some dialogue and interaction. Spotty storytelling? Yeah, I guess but overall it entertains me. I like it has high school Peter, I love the Doc Ock design, I enjoy the combination of original Green Goblin & Ultimate Goblin. Venom has been downplayed and used better instead of just everyone's favorite 90's character. Janitor Stan Lee, probably the most fun Aunt May has ever been, and fun references and jokes. Then you got appearances from numerous characters. Hell, I was surprised to see Iron Patriot (and yes REAL Iron Patriot not movie version), strangely I was thinking it'd be cool if they went that route right before seeing IP's debut episode. So yeah not great characters per se or great story telling but the show is very entertaining, great humor and overall makes me feel like a kid just watching it.

24. zeptron Registered

The reason why people compare Spectacular to Batman TAS is because it was well written and did a wonderful job of fleshing out Peter, his supporting cast and his villains. While staying true to the spirit of the source material.

And Eddie/Venom's origin was actually a mix of both the original and Ultimate version. He's smart and old friends with Peter having grown up together(Ultimate). He's also in college, the athletic type, a bit self-obsessed and loses his job and blames Peter/Spider-man for it(original).

25. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

I don't think Spectacular's best ever reached the heights that Batman: The Animated Series did. Even if we take the first 26 episodes of B:TAS and compare them to Spectacular, it's pretty obvious that TAS was setting a higher (if inconsistent) standard.