Ranking the Indiana Jones Series

1. Raiders
2. Doom
3. Crusade

There is no fourth in my mind!

I've grown to like KOTCS much better than I did before and I consider it pretty even with TLC these days, but there's no movie like the first two for me :cool:

The funny thing with me and KOTCS is five years ago when it came out, I was in the camp of fans who was disappointed with it and easily had it as their least favorite. Now all this time later with repeat views and also watching it with the original three, it's grown on me a lot and I sometimes prefer it to TLC. It's flawed for sure, but I still think it's plenty of fun and I've actually grown to dig the inclusion of aliens and more Sci-Fi elements, which I think made it feel fresh. As fun as The Last Crusade is, I always felt it suffered a bit from being so much like Raiders. I really like how TOD and KOTCS mix things up with different enemies and mythologies.

The last time I saw KOTCS was in the toilet in a public restroom. I stared at it with disgust. "Is there no God", I whispered. Then I flushed it down to save all of humanity.

The funny thing with me and KOTCS is five years ago when it came out, I was in the camp of fans who was disappointed with it and easily had it as their least favorite. Now all this time later with repeat views and also watching it with the original three, it's grown on me a lot and I sometimes prefer it to TLC. It's flawed for sure, but I still think it's plenty of fun and I've actually grown to dig the inclusion of aliens and more Sci-Fi elements, which I think made it feel fresh. As fun as The Last Crusade is, I always felt it suffered a bit from being so much like Raiders. I really like how TOD and KOTCS mix things up with different enemies and mythologies.

I had problems with the alien aspect initially, but it totally makes sense when you realize the filmmakers intentions. Plus, it mixes things up and keeps things fresh.

That being said, the film has some serious fundamental flaws that makes it a film I'd rather ignore. I'd recommend the Plinkett Review of Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He mentions most of the problems I had with the movie, and a lot of things I hadn't considered before.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that review of it, where is it? I'm interested to read it.

The last time I saw KOTCS was in the toilet in a public restroom. I stared at it with disgust. "Is there no God", I whispered. Then I flushed it down to save all of humanity.

Replies like this are unnecessary - same with ones that slam 'Temple of Doom'. Sorry, but NO film in the Indy series is even in the same universe of that bad. No way. Dislike any of them if you will, but 'BattleField Earth' and 'Gigli' they are not.

And I don't need to see Plinkett's review, I'm good. I have my own opinions, thanks. From what I heard, his KOTCS review wasn't that riveting compared to the Prequel ones. Any Indy sequel doesn't measure up to nitpicking, in honesty.

Last edited:
There's no such thing at all as a bad Indy film to me. Some I like more than others, but all four to me are tremendous entertainment.

Oh please. Any opinion that's posted like that - I tend to not take the person seriously.

Replies like this are unnecessary - same with ones that slam 'Temple of Doom'. Sorry, but NO film in the Indy series is even in the same universe of that bad. No way. Dislike any of them if you will, but 'BattleField Earth' and 'Gigli' they are not.

And I don't need to see Plinkett's review, I'm good. I have my own opinions, thanks.

Oh calm down, it's meant to be (obviously) facetious. PLAYFUL EVEN. Didn't expect a semi-serious response like this.

Oh calm down, it's meant to be obviously facetious. PLAYFUL EVEN. Didn't expect a response like this.

No worries, it's just on the internet, people way over-blow how much they dislike something or love soemething and it gets annoying. Experiencing that with 'The Dark Knight Rises' and 'Lincoln'. Alot of hyperbole regarding those films. Sorry if I got a tad peeved.

I'm sure at the type you were spitting at your monitor (or phone) at my post, but...I FORGIVE YOU!!

First of all, he's obviously joking around. Second of all, people can 'slam' whatever the hell they want to, as much as they damn well please. It's their opinion. If you don't like that opinion, ignore it or challenge it in an intelligent discussion, don't dismiss it like an angry child.

And I don't need to see Plinkett's review, I'm good. I have my own opinions, thanks.

Oh, that's nice. I have my own opinions too, and they don't always line up with his. But I think his reviews are funny, and I think that they bring up enough good points for me to recommend them to people.

From what I heard, his KOTCS review wasn't that riveting compared to the Prequel ones.

Awesome, so now you're blindly criticizing something you've never even seen.

Any Indy sequel doesn't measure up to nitpicking, in honesty.

It doesn't even matter, because if you had seen the review, you would know that most of his points aren't really nitpicks.

Well, you certainly do have your own opinions. You should keep in mind that they are opinions and not facts.

I'm sure at the type you were spitting at your monitor (or phone) at my post, but...I FORGIVE YOU!!

Nah, just rolled my eyes a bit.
:cwink:

And I think some of the online-camp will always have a bone to pick with 'Temple of Doom' and 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull'. They both were successes for sure with audiences and critics overall though 'Temple' did get some racist-accusations and 'Kingdom' pissed off the Russians. When I was at the Marathon last Sept. - the audiences ate both films up like the rest of the series. 'Kingdom' and 'Crusade' still got the most applause, though.

I do like that they're both different from the other two - 'Temple' and 'Kingdom' are more influenced by the pulp-adventure comics of their respective settings, with 'Temple' being influenced by the likes of comics of the horror and dark adventure genre, with 'Kingdom' being of a '50s-SciFi comic origin.

They're both great, and I've been fond of 'Kingdom' since it came out and everyone I went with liked it even more than I did. Since then I've grown even more fond of it - the sci-fi feel, pulp action, stylistic set pieces, story and just all around feel of the film makes it one of my favorite films to watch and my second favorite of the series. It's got such style and a great atmosphere. 'Crusade' is a great film but lacks that rich feel and comes off as rather dull, not to mention it's too comedic in tone which made me grow less fond of it.

'Kingdom' and 'Temple' were the most eye popping films out of the four to watch on the big screen I will say. They really come to life more than the other two - likely because they're very rich and more vibrant in terms of the color palette.

They both dared to be different - and it worked.

'Raiders' is still the best and truly the only "classic" of the bunch that will remain a mark in film history.

The series is divided into two camps - Christian artifacts/Desert Settings/More Grit = 'Raiders'/'Crusade' and the other camp of Pulp-Style/Non-Desert Settings/Non Trinity-Based Artifact/Action Heavy = 'Temple'/'Kingdom'. That's what I like about the series - something for everyone.

@Cadaver - I don't want to bicker, I mean no harm and I apologize for coming off rudely. Let's just move on? I'd be okay with that.

Thanks for the apology. We'll move on.

And I liked Temple of Doom perfectly fine (my 2nd favorite, in fact), but I'd still like to pretend that the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull didn't exist.

And I liked Temple of Doom perfectly fine (my 2nd favorite, in fact), but I'd still like to pretend that the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull didn't exist.

Eh, some people do that with films. Some like to pretend 'Temple of Doom' doesn't exist as well or pretend 'Die Hard 4'/'Die Hard 2' don't exist either. I understand it to a degree, I do it with 'Robocop 2/3'.

But with the Indy's - they've all got something great to them, IMO.

Crusade
Raiders
Doom

I've erased the other one from my mind.

On a related note, what's everyone's favorite action scene in the series? For me TOD's mine cart chase will never be beaten.

i'd say
Crusade and Raiders compete for the top spot
Doom
Skull

1) Raiders 10/10
2) Last Crusade 9/10
3) Temple (can't stand that movie) 6/10

Crystal Skull does not exist in this dojo

Last edited:
On a related note, what's everyone's favorite action scene in the series? For me TOD's mine cart chase will never be beaten.
Very tough, but i'm gonna go with the truck chase scene in Raiders, although the opening sequence in Raiders is a very close second.

The truck chase in Raiders is great too, so is the bar shoot-out and of course the legendary boulder roll :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"