Rant about Aquaman

I really want to see a comic where they show Wolverine primping for 3 hours before he heads out to fight. You know that hairstyle isn't natural.

GoldenAgeHero said:
i like his hairstyle in astonishing......is that book bimonthly?
It's wheneverWhedonandCassadaymanagetofinishly.

I loved having most of the good comics across the whole industry come out monthly. Alas for bygone days. :(

Yeah, he did. I hope Williams gives Orin his memory back so he can at least become a real mentor to the newb, if they insist on keeping the newb around. Although the story's been good, it's gotten kind of annoying to see Orin be unbearably cryptic all the time and dash off at the sight of anything from his old life.

I expect there will be an arc of getting his memory back. It's not going to be a permament thing naturally.

Given that he's been replaced as Aquaman and thus reduced to a supporting cast role in his own book, I wouldn't be so quick to assume things anymore.

^^it tis the way it should remain. aquanewbie tis the goodness. i mean im pretty sure he can use magic hand to pleasure posters such darthsphere and teh corpulant1

GoldenAgeHero said:
^^it tis the way it should remain. aquanewbie tis the goodness. i mean im pretty sure he can use magic hand to pleasure posters such darthsphere and teh corpulant1
NOOB CHARCTURZZ ROOOLZZ!!!11!!!11! OMG LMFAO ROTFL!!!! AKWANOOBEE s teh SHHITT!!!!??!!111!!?//!!1

I found this at Engrish.com I guess this was the best place to post it.
aquaman.jpg

Dude,
Aquaman is incredible.
He rules 75% of the world dang it!!!
The Surface has hundreds of heroes, Undersea has 1. and that's Aquaman

Orin is faster, strong, resistant to damage and a dang good telepath, add to that his magical hand, and he's a force to be reckoned with.

This newb is crap, but hopefully they'll drop him soon and bring back the real deal, and start writing Aquaman like they should.

I just picked up 30 issues off of E-bay of old Aquaman, I've had a great two days reading them.

I was warming up to him with the new hand. Like he found his place in dc's powerset. But, of course they throw that all away and opt for a newer ******ed post IC loser

I thought he was really gonna step up as a major player when he got the new hand, too. It seemed like Aquaman kept getting omitted from the JLA because no one really knew what to do with him other than Morrison, who made him the unforgiving, cold-hearted badass of the group to great effect. Other writers just didn't really feel comfortable with his having a character-based niche, I guess, since everyone else has an ability-based niche to go along with it: Superman's the powerhouse, Batman's the thinker, Wonder Woman's the warrior/diplomat, Martian Mahunter's the telepath, Flash is the speedster, and GL is the all-around supporter. Before the new hand, Aquaman was just a weaker amalgam of others: strong but not as strong as Superman, cunning but not as cunning as Batman, telepathic but more limited than J'onn, fast but not as fast as the Flash, a diplomat but more hot-tempered than Wonder Woman, and not much use as support unless they're near water. The hand opened up a whole new world of possibilities in the context of the JLA for him. Now, instead of bringing on some third-stringer like Zatanna, the JLA could have a hugely potent magic user/nullifier built right into the Big Seven. I never understood why no one seized on that. Even now, in the JLAC arc that features the Big Seven, there's been basically no use of the magic hand for anything, even though it's a wildly versatile asset. It just bugs me that everyone's letting that potential go to waste.

Yea, that's why I didn't enjoy the Sub Diego arc all that much. Just like in the JLA, like you said, no one took advantage of this new gift of his.

That bugged me about the Sub Diego stuff, too. Arcudi made better use of the hand than Pfeiffer, but it was still largely de-emphasized. Ironic that the hand came from a heavily magic-influenced arc, then Sub Diego came, then after the Sub Diego saga ended, it was replaced once again by a story with a heavier magic influence. You'd think people would get the message: Aquaman/Atlantis + magic = good.

After the 12th issue of the '03 series, I noticed a change in quality completely from the two issues inbetween the Waterbearer and Sub Diego arc. Also, I wish he kept the look from the Waterbearer arc; was awesome. Instead, he went to a more traditional look...

I liked everything about the first 12 issues more than the next 27 or so. Better writing, art, etc.

I much prefer the traditional look myself, especially with the changes Davis or Gleason or whoever made in the current volume. It looks much sleeker and more befitting a king (yes, he's deposed, but Orin ought to have a regality about him regardless). The only real problem I had with the original version of the costume was the dishwashing gloves and the black undies, both of which were thankfully subtracted from the equation this go-'round.

I actually preferred the Sub Diego stuff, especially Arcudi's run, to Veitch's take. There were a lot of good issues in Veitch's run, but the Thirst was lame and it seemed like he really didn't have anywhere interesting to go after his first arc. I just wish Pfeiffer and Arcudi had managed to strike the balance between the engaging political story of Sub Diego and the magical backdrop of Veitch's run and Atlantis' history that Ostrander did in his fill-in issues. Those fill-ins are still my favorite issues of the current volume (which I think I've said before, but I don't care because I consider it worth saying again).

I'm not a hater of his more traditional look, just, when I saw that new design for him in the start of the '03 series I thought he looked awesome. Also, the credit goes to the amazing artist of that series. Perhaps I would have enjoyed the newer classical look if I enjoyed the artist as much. I don't know...the whole huge chin, big nose...all in all ugly looking design he had for some of his male characters (like Orin) just didn't fly with me.

Well, while I enjoyed the arc with that reporter guy...being a huge Batman fan and growing up with the amazing Timmverse...it echoed and copied that one episode from TNBAS: Legends of the Dark Knight way too much.

So, because of this, I wasn't too impressed. And I could really care less for the issue before that we he saves that family from the shipwreck. My problem with that one was it was too much of a cliche. It was something the typical non-fan would say about Aquaman: "Oh, he just talks to fish and saves people from ship wrecks and ****." :mad:

I didn't see it as that at all. I saw it more as an exploration of Aquaman's personality after the drastic changes he experienced in the wake of the Obsidian Age and his exile. The saving of that family was used as a springboard for looking into Orin's mind and seeing how he'd been affected by everything that's happened to him over the years. I thought it was a superb character-based issue from Ostrander--the kind of issue I've been reading comics for ever since I outgrew the childhood wonder over superheroic action scenes.

And, really, if you're gonna fault Aquaman for saving people from shipwrecks, you may as well fault Superman for saving people from crashing aeroplanes or trains with busted tracks. They're as much his trademarks as oceanic rescues are Aquaman's, and I've never heard them mentioned as a fault for Supes. Plus, Orin used his water hand in a very creative and novel way, so I don't get how it ties into the perception that Aquaman's just that guy who talks to fish, either.

I wonder if in the 52 series anything related to Aquaman will occur. Yea I'm sure more and more will be explained in the current series...but they've been delayed a few times now. The next one should be coming in like next week? Was supposed to come in way sooner I remember.

Yeah, Aquaman's been pretty late. The OYL jump was back in May with #40, but it's six months later now and we're only just getting #45 next Wednesday, according to DC's website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"