Let's clear up a few Aquaman misconceptions, shall we?

Yeah, that would be lame. His telepathy can be used quite well if you have some imagination.

The Question said:
Possibly. If they play their cards right, the show could be a political sci-fi/fantasy epic. But then, they might not play their cards right.

the show will be on the CW...how political could it get without alienating its 13 year old fan base.

Like I said, they might not play their cards right. But then, Jack and Bobby was able to mix political stuff with what the WB fanbase was more into.

And Jack and Bobby got cancelled after one season. :(

Still, if they play their cards right, it could be pretty kickass.

Since Lori Lemaris isn't gonna show up in Smallville...this is a perfect show for her to show up in. :)

I think there's a lot of possibilities with this show. Anyone see that show...Surface. If they keep the whole Atlantis thing as a ongoing mystery... and reveal the kids powers real slow..it could work. In Surface...the kid has powers...he can talk to fishes..and live underwater!!!!! I was like...WTF!!!! And has electrical powers.

Interesting but Aquaman is just so.......lame

I'm sorry, but I think he's incredibly lame and I don't know how well this show will do.

Mercy Reef? Sounds too much like Smallville for Aquaman.
And Smallville itself can be pretty crappy from time to time.

So if this is a poor attempt to copy Smallville, I don't see it doing well.
Even Birds of Prey went bye bye

But I'll give it a chance

The Question said:
Why do you think he's lame?

I think the reason why I don't like Aquaman as much as some of you do is because he's just not 'popular' enough for me. Yes, i'm a conformist in this case.

The Question said:
Why do you think he's lame?

I can't get past the orange shirt and green pants.
Even though that's changed since I just cant shake it out of my head

It's hard to explain

Even his name bothers the hell out of me

Well, depending on the artist, the green pants and orange shirt can look pretty cool. And I usually go back and forth between refering to him as Aurthur and Orin. I use Aquaman, but not as much as Orin.

Aquaman is so badass. He is VERY underrated. I hope this show is good enough to show the general audience that he is not a total wimp he is portrayed as already in the public's mind. :up:

Well, I've never thought Aquaman to be lame. That said, I completely dislike his character. I'll only watch Mercy Reef if they take a slightly different approach to him.

Spider-Gamer said:
Aquaman is so badass. He is VERY underrated. I hope this show is good enough to show the general audience that he is not a total wimp he is portrayed as already in the public's mind. :up:
Thats the only way I will watch this show if they show just how much of a badass he is. I remember in JLA vs Avengers Aquaman brought a Killer Whale out of the water and dropped it on them.

Sadly, I don't think this show will do very well. Warner Bros. has a poor track record of translating comic book characters to screen. Look at the earlier Batman movies. They started out okay and went downhill. Birds of Prey was a flop. It could have been better had they mirrored the comic book and reflected the relationships within the comic book. The only reason Smallville has done as well as it has is because of the good writing on the show. They keep doing the "villain of the week" as being some Kryptonite radiation induced monster. Brainiac wasn't quite as used as he could have been. The screwed up Jor-El (although I like the fact Terence Stamp does his voice [He played Zod in Superman II]). The only recent successful translations of DC characters to the screen have been Bruce Timm's animated series (Batman, Superman, Justlice League, Batman Beyond) and Batman Begins. I'm not even sure that Superman Returns will be that good. And I'm nervous as hell about Wonder Woman. I love Joss Whedon as a writer and I'm hoping he does her justice. It seems nobody wants to do anything Post-Crisis with these characters.

jayg02747 said:
Sadly, I don't think this show will do very well. Warner Bros. has a poor track record of translating comic book characters to screen. Look at the earlier Batman movies. They started out okay and went downhill. Birds of Prey was a flop. It could have been better had they mirrored the comic book and reflected the relationships within the comic book. The only reason Smallville has done as well as it has is because of the good writing on the show. They keep doing the "villain of the week" as being some Kryptonite radiation induced monster. Brainiac wasn't quite as used as he could have been. The screwed up Jor-El (although I like the fact Terence Stamp does his voice [He played Zod in Superman II]). The only recent successful translations of DC characters to the screen have been Bruce Timm's animated series (Batman, Superman, Justlice League, Batman Beyond) and Batman Begins. I'm not even sure that Superman Returns will be that good. And I'm nervous as hell about Wonder Woman. I love Joss Whedon as a writer and I'm hoping he does her justice. It seems nobody wants to do anything Post-Crisis with these characters.
You better not let the SV fans hear you talk like that ;they feel anything goes as long as Clark becomes Superman and Lex becomes bad.

I hope this show doesn't get too silly. Poor Aquaman gets enough crap. I checked out of Smallville when Lana became a lesbian vampire with Clark's abilities.

Carter said:
I can't get past the orange shirt and green pants.
Even though that's changed since I just cant shake it out of my head

It's hard to explain

Even his name bothers the hell out of me

I know it's been a while since this post, but how is, say, Superman any better a name?

I personally have a problem with all underwater type characters(namor included). I respect his character and his experience and what he brings to the table with the league... to me he's a sovereign leader and should be just that. I think hes often compared to the MM. The less informed readers think he is a waste of a character and can never reach superman/WW levels of power. Which we all know is clearly not the case. I think Arthur has that same road ahead of him.

I have a question for the current Aquaman readers--what's with the magic water hand? :confused:

Aurthur was given the hand as a gift by the Lady of the Lake. The hand can morph into any shape he can think of, heal wounds, and nullify magic. It also makes it so he doesn't get dehydraited out of water.

The Question said:
Aurthur was given the hand as a gift by the Lady of the Lake. The hand can morph into any shape he can think of, heal wounds, and nullify magic. It also makes it so he doesn't get dehydraited out of water.

Ah.

Can you recommend to me any good Aquaman trades?

I've actually read less Aquaman than I'm proud to say I have. But I've heard good things about Peter David's run.

MaskedManJRK said:
Ah.

Can you recommend to me any good Aquaman trades?

Unfortunitly, Time and Tide by Peter David is the only Aquaman trade out and I think it's out of print. You can still pick it up on Amazon and ebay, but good luck finding it anywhere else.

I wasn't a big fan of David's run, but I am in the small minority there, which I guess means everyone else is an idiot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"