Rant about Aquaman

trustyside-kick said:
Yea, that's why I didn't enjoy the Sub Diego arc all that much. Just like in the JLA, like you said, no one took advantage of this new gift of his.
As an avid scuba diver I checked out the Sub Diego arch, but got fed up with the SpongeBob phyiscs. People were basically drawn like they were on land. They'd sit in desks, wear ties, and the only indication that they were actually underwater was when the artist occasionally remembered to draw a bubble.
I hear the story was quite good, but I just couldn't get past that aspect of the art.

Well what really bothers the crap out of me is that...nothing really progressed in that story. I mean...does someone still have Orin's DNA out there? The story didn't really go anywhere.

When Infinite Crisis came around I felt they rushed it when that guy became an OMAC and Atlantis got destroyed by the Spectre. While the OYL arc is cool, it felt like everything before it is ignored that wasn't finished with the Sub Diego crap.

And this was the same problem with the Sub Diego arc...besides Orin having the mystical hand, it was almost like the Waterbearer arc didn't matter at all.

That I absolutely agree with. Aquaman's comic has jumped from direction to direction so jarringly the last few times that you basically just have to throw everything that happened before out of your mind. It doesn't help that tie-ins have screwed him up even more, either--like when he showed up in "For Tomorrow" leading Atlantis' armies, when in his own comic everyone in Atlantis except Vulko continued to hate him right up until he came back to help Mera out, which led directly into the Spectre's attack in IC. Where did that bit where Aquaman was allowed to lead Atlantis' armies come from in the timeline? Where did the prohibition against using his hand as a weapon at the risk of awakening the Thirst go? Where did his visits to the Lady of the Lake go? Where did that line about his DNA being used to adapt the people of Sub Diego to underwater living and the company holding the patents to said DNA go? There are so many unresolved plot threads that'll probably never be addressed that it becomes incredibly frustrating to even read his comic on a regular basis. :o

WTF even happened in Aquaman Pre-OYL?

After sinking Atlantis to save it in the Obsidian Age, Orin was deposed and banished from Atlantis. The sorcerer caste became the rulers of Atlantis under Haken. Orin's telepathy with marine life was blocked and he was run out of Atlantis and, after that, the whole ocean. He was rescued by the Lady of the Lake, who gave him his magic hand. After that, he wound up at a lighthouse in Ireland with an old lighthouse keeper named McCaffrey and a young cop lady whose name I can't recall because she was unimportant after the first arc and totally forgotten after Pfeiffer came along.

Orin was content to just deal with his situation, but Tempest came calling to show him the problems the sorcerers were causing. Dolphin and Cerdian were basically under house arrest and Mera was kept magically sedated, so even though she was the true ruler in Orin's absence, power fell to the sorcerers. Aquaman still turned a blind eye, claiming he had problems of his own.

Eventually, Aquaman learned that his water hand was never supposed to be used in anger or there would be consequences. Unfortunately, he'd already turned it into a big spiked ball and punched someone in the face. The consequences turned out to be the Thirst, an ancient dude who wanted to devour all water, including the Secret Sea. Aquaman teamed up with Black Manta and defeated the Thirst (along with Black Manta, after he inevitably betrayed Orin), and in doing so liberated Atlantis somehow (it's been a while since I read it). He left Atlantis in Vulko and Garth's care and headed off to Sub Diego with basically nothing in the way of transition, as has become the norm for Aquaman's current series.

Aquaman heard that a piece of San Diego had sunk into the ocean and went to help, but when he tried saving citizens by bringing them to land, they started suffocating. Everyone except Lorena could breathe only water somehow. Orin returned the people to the underwater portion of San Diego and then he and Lorena set about trying to restore some order while also trying to figure out how the whole thing happened. Orin restores order with the help of a cop who was mutated into a manta ray-man, Lorena, and Koryak. He figures out that it was a scientist named Geist who turned Sub Diego's people into water-breathers by introducing mutagens into the water supply for months before the sinking. Geist turns out to be a small fry, though, and Orin keeps him locked up and working on a cure or whatever other scientific assistance he needs while he goes after the bigger fish. The mutagen Geist put in the water supply turns out to have come from Orin's own DNA, but before Orin can look into the company that holds the patent on his genetic code, Vulko comes calling as an emissary from Atlantis, intent on inviting the Sub Diegans to join the Atlantean people in Poseidonis.

Lorena goes with him, and Aquaman follows shortly after when he learns that Mera is still under the sorcerers' spell. Aquaman and Tempest fight for some reason that still makes no sense to me today, and then Tempest harnesses the magical powers of Haken and the other sorcerers to try and free Mera. Unfortunately, Infinite Crisis rears its ugly head and the big magical fireworks show draws the Spectre's attention. He smushes Atlantis, Koryak and Vulko die, Tempest and Lorena go MIA, Mera ends up leading a tiny band of Atlanteans and Sub Diegans, and Orin ends up turning into a squid man by some unknown means and getting replaced in his own book by an angstier carbon copy of his Golden Age self. That's pretty much where we are today.

I think he was wondering just what happened to him Pre-OYL as in how he became the Dweller of the Deeps, lol.

I too am wondering the same thing. I hope that in 52 we see that explained somehow since Issue 45 of Aquaman:Sword of Atlantis has been delayed like twice so it might be a while til we find out why Orin is the way he is if the delays continue.

Phere will take all the information I give him and gorge himself on it with glee.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Phere will take all the information I give him and gorge himself on it with glee.

thats not the only thing he'll gorge on:cwink:

TheCorpulent1 said:
After sinking Atlantis to save it in the Obsidian Age, Orin was deposed and banished from Atlantis. The sorcerer caste became the rulers of Atlantis under Haken. Orin's telepathy with marine life was blocked and he was run out of Atlantis and, after that, the whole ocean. He was rescued by the Lady of the Lake, who gave him his magic hand. After that, he wound up at a lighthouse in Ireland with an old lighthouse keeper named McCaffrey and a young cop lady whose name I can't recall because she was unimportant after the first arc and totally forgotten after Pfeiffer came along.

Orin was content to just deal with his situation, but Tempest came calling to show him the problems the sorcerers were causing. Dolphin and Cerdian were basically under house arrest and Mera was kept magically sedated, so even though she was the true ruler in Orin's absence, power fell to the sorcerers. Aquaman still turned a blind eye, claiming he had problems of his own.

Eventually, Aquaman learned that his water hand was never supposed to be used in anger or there would be consequences. Unfortunately, he'd already turned it into a big spiked ball and punched someone in the face. The consequences turned out to be the Thirst, an ancient dude who wanted to devour all water, including the Secret Sea. Aquaman teamed up with Black Manta and defeated the Thirst (along with Black Manta, after he inevitably betrayed Orin), and in doing so liberated Atlantis somehow (it's been a while since I read it). He left Atlantis in Vulko and Garth's care and headed off to Sub Diego with basically nothing in the way of transition, as has become the norm for Aquaman's current series.

Aquaman heard that a piece of San Diego had sunk into the ocean and went to help, but when he tried saving citizens by bringing them to land, they started suffocating. Everyone except Lorena could breathe only water somehow. Orin returned the people to the underwater portion of San Diego and then he and Lorena set about trying to restore some order while also trying to figure out how the whole thing happened. Orin restores order with the help of a cop who was mutated into a manta ray-man, Lorena, and Koryak. He figures out that it was a scientist named Geist who turned Sub Diego's people into water-breathers by introducing mutagens into the water supply for months before the sinking. Geist turns out to be a small fry, though, and Orin keeps him locked up and working on a cure or whatever other scientific assistance he needs while he goes after the bigger fish. The mutagen Geist put in the water supply turns out to have come from Orin's own DNA, but before Orin can look into the company that holds the patent on his genetic code, Vulko comes calling as an emissary from Atlantis, intent on inviting the Sub Diegans to join the Atlantean people in Poseidonis.

Lorena goes with him, and Aquaman follows shortly after when he learns that Mera is still under the sorcerers' spell. Aquaman and Tempest fight for some reason that still makes no sense to me today, and then Tempest harnesses the magical powers of Haken and the other sorcerers to try and free Mera. Unfortunately, Infinite Crisis rears its ugly head and the big magical fireworks show draws the Spectre's attention. He smushes Atlantis, Koryak and Vulko die, Tempest and Lorena go MIA, Mera ends up leading a tiny band of Atlanteans and Sub Diegans, and Orin ends up turning into a squid man by some unknown means and getting replaced in his own book by an angstier carbon copy of his Golden Age self. That's pretty much where we are today.
Dude. That's major.

I remember about the last two paragraphs, because that's when I started picking up the book. What issues encompassed the first three paragraphs?

TheCorpulent1 said:

Yeah, I appreciate the info, though I was only joking. However, I forgot half that stuff. Thanks. ASSHAT 4 Life.

Corp had that in a .txt anyway just waiting for someone to ask.

Aquaman is the perfect example of a great character that's forever exiled to rubbish stories. No wonder no one reads him the plots sound like Saturday morning cartoons. Magic hand wtf? he dosn't need that. Instead of complicating him someone should just write meaningful stories about the ocean.

like whats going on now in aquaman sword of atlantis. seriously,this book is just better then any aquaman story i've read. which is'nt much. god i hope this new writer does'nt **** up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"