Superman Returns Rate the dialouge in Superman Returns

Shawn_Short

Civilian
Reaction score
Im designing this thread to rate and comment on the written and acted dialouge in Superman Returns. The rating scale is 1-10, with 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest. Have at it :up:

I liked the dialogue--nothing really struck me as bad. I just wish Superman had more of it, and there was more memorable pieces to it. But, overall it was good.

The father/son speech at the end i found in poor english, even if was poignant.

I think the kid was a terrible actor, but other than that...

Well, Kal Penn never should have been in this movie, so that's another drop.

Honestly, the kid wasn't so bad.

I also liked Parker Posey :D

I thought the dialogue was a little predictable, you could guess what they'd say next, although it's much better dialogue than the other summer blockbuster, POTC 2 which had awful dialogue.

3. "Gods are beings who won't share" "I hear people crying for help all the time"

It is like it tried to be philosophical or intelligent or inspiring or whatever, and just came off as cheesey 1980s action movie lines.

Matt said:
3. "Gods are beings who won't share" "I hear people crying for help all the time"

It is like it tried to be philosophical or intelligent or inspiring or whatever, and just came off as cheesey 1980s action movie lines.

if you want to criticize the dialogues, quote them correctly.. it's like if i said:

"aw man why aren't you a Capulet?" it is like it tried to be poetic but Shakespear's Roemo and Juliette's dialogues are very cheesy...

I found it to be well done, with a pinch of camp with "Wrong!"

Matt said:

Another unfortunate result of Singer being trapped in the past.

Oh, my rating is.....8.

Matt said:

Funny, I found there to be some great movies to come out of the 80s.

You know what? In all my years on the Internet, I've heard nothing but criticism of every single line of dialogue in movies. I've read some of the fanfics on here. It's not like Internet fans have a real ear for dialogue anyway.

So, what movie, to you guys, has really, really excellent dialogue? The kind you would rate as a ten?

Captain Villa said:
The father/son speech at the end i found in poor english, even if was poignant.

Don't blame that on SR, it was taken verbatim from Brando's dialogue.

The dialogue was pretty horrendous. Can you believe we waited all that long just to hear Supes and Luthur utter 6 words to one another.
$200 000 000?!!??

"I'd forgotten how warm you are"

Enough, said.

I liked most of the dialogue, overall it was better than X3's. I gave it an 8.

Nice thread, heh. Nothing made me cringe in the movie at all. And cringes usually come from dialogue, at least for me. I thought it was well written and well performed (by EVERYONE) so I'm giving it an 8.5. Nothing classic, but very good overall.

5 is about right to me. servicable if unremarkable. +1 for Jason. The best came from either the old movies or was said by lex in his boat to kitty, the part about promethius and fire.

JLBats said:
Don't blame that on SR, it was taken verbatim from Brando's dialogue.

Not verbatim exactly. It's like bits were stitched together from different times he spoke in the first film.

JLBats said:
You know what? In all my years on the Internet, I've heard nothing but criticism of every single line of dialogue in movies. I've read some of the fanfics on here. It's not like Internet fans have a real ear for dialogue anyway.

So, what movie, to you guys, has really, really excellent dialogue? The kind you would rate as a ten?

Little Man:up:

lordofthenerds said:
I liked most of the dialogue, overall it was better than X3's. I gave it an 8.

I have to say Ian's dialogue was fantastic in X3... really he could make "I pooped my pants" sound shakespearian.

For Returns i'd give It seemed lazily written, too plagiaristic. Though Jason's and the way triston plays him is probably the best child acting and dialogue I've ever heard.

Superman's dialogue was too sparse, and was severly lacking in charm and grace. The only bright moments came not from Dan and Mike, but Puzo. The others were fine, but this was a cerebral story first and foremost, and perhaps relied too heavily on subtext. Not that it needed more exposition, but certain story elements were sacrificed and thus the dialogue suffered.

About 7 or 8. There was some good stuff in there.

WormyT said:
The dialogue was pretty horrendous. Can you believe we waited all that long just to hear Supes and Luthur utter 6 words to one another.
$200 000 000?!!??
Was that YOUR 200 Million? Why should you care unless it was yours?

JLBats said:
I don't understand it. People worship the Spider-Man movies like gods. Yet those movies have the most questionable lines in comic book movies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"