Rate X-Men 3 - Without Spoilers Please

Yes of course X1 started it and it was acceptable, but X3, made it worst. Acceptable as a third film of the series for me however, but should have been better.

Image said:
Exactly what I tell you all the time. X3 was average for me. Just how it was done as far as character usage and it felt rushed. URGH! NOT X-MEN!

X1 was a good movie. When I first saw it, I thought it was really good. The only thing that stood out in my head was the fact that so much was changed. This carried over to X2. New characters were introduced and X2 just followed suit along with X1. Here comes X3. What did everyone expect, for Ratner to change everything and retell what has already been told? It should be no surprise to us that certain aspects were going to be different. Why is everyone being so hard on X3 and Ratner??? It makes no sense to me.

redmarvel said:
The very first of the X-Men movies did that already. Rogue as a sympathetic victim. :eek: C'mon in the comics she was a criminal that put Ms. Marvel in a coma. From the get go (when I heard about the black leather ala Matrix outfits) I knew this was not "Marvel's X-Men", this is "Fox's X-Men" and you just have to accept that and move on. Pretend there is no back history of the X-Men in the Marvel comics. We have to try to view and judge the movie on it's own merits not on our expectations/hopes for a "Marvel" movie.

There is a HUGE difference between "Changing" and "Bastardizing". I can accept "Changing". I cannot and will not and I can't believe that anybody would stand by "Bastardizing".

Voted Great... Jean was the only reason I saw X3...but then again it kinda rolls down hill from there.

Cyclops said:
"Really Bad". The first cardinal sin was having the biggest cast of any X-Film coupling it with a short running time. The second was
trying to tell the Dark Phoenix story while killing off the second most important character to it before it really got started.
The third was incorrectly portraying every major character except for Beast.

Top it all off with lazy writing, rushed and slipshod direction, and hammy, overcheesed acting by McKellen and others, and you get a really bad movie.

:up: Agreed. Its still not in Batman And Robin territory, but as far as I'm concerned its close.

Well, I was torn for a while there between poor and really bad...

really bad

It really had no soul for me. Cyke got screwed. Jean got screwed. Rogue got screwed. This film just disappointed, and really had no meaning for me.

Cyclops said:
There is a HUGE difference between "Changing" and "Bastardizing". I can accept "Changing". I cannot and will not and I can't believe that anybody would stand by "Bastardizing".

I haven't seen it yet... but I don't have really high expectations either. They "bastardized" Rogue's character in the very first movie, and Cyke came of as a cardboard cutout figure. The second movie did very little in the way of character development of the members from the first movie. I expect X3 to be all action and very little acting.

It was a good film with hints of greatness.

It seems to be doing well at the box office:

June 6 year to date box office figures:

North America

1. Ice Age: The Meltdown ($191,5 million)
2. X-Men: The Last Stand ($175,3 million)
3. The Da Vinci Code ($172 million)
4. Mission: Impossible III ($122,7 million)
5. Over the Hedge ($112,4 million)

Worldwide

1. Ice Age: The Meltdown ($630,9 million)
2. The Da Vinci Code ($582,5 million)
3. X-Men: The Last Stand ($318,1 million)
4. Mission: Impossible III ($316 million)
5. Inside Man ($175,7 million)

Downhere said:
It was a good film with hints of greatness.

Glad you saw this too Downhere :up:

There were certain decisions made that turned it around from being great. Its "good".

McKellen, Marsden(What little screentime he did have), Grammer, Stewart, and Janssen were the only great things about the movie.

It's wasted potential and it could've been so much better than it was. Sometimes I get angry, sad, and outright disgusted when I think about how great this film should've and could've been.

Still doing well in the yearly box office totals!!

I thought it was really poor really poor :(. I watched Red eye last night and ultravoilet the other day and i enjoyed them more than X3!!!!!!

^Ultraviolet.That is one of the few movies i hate.You really did not like X3.

Too short, too quick of a pace, badly edited, blatantly contradicts arcs and foreshadowing established in first 2 films, character actions contradict what is established in first 2 films, characters appear and disappear for no reason, characters act "out of character"

LastSunrise1981 said:
McKellen, Marsden(What little screentime he did have), Grammer, Stewart, and Janssen were the only great things about the movie.

It's wasted potential and it could've been so much better than it was. Sometimes I get angry, sad, and outright disgusted when I think about how great this film should've and could've been.
Haha, same here. That's why I refuse to call it a trilogy, or saga, or conclusion. To me it's 2 + 1 films. And yes, from the rewrites and ideas fans posted here that they came up with, it wouldn't take that much to make it into a great film. If the fans could find a way, why wouldn't the pro's who do this for a living?

I voted "Good", or what I assume would be 6/10. I can't say I didn't enjoy myself as the average moviegoer, but as an X-Men fan, I just can't accept what was done with the characters. It's one thing to not write a movie just for comic book fans, but it's another to completely alienate them.

I voted poor mainly because of the intense disappointment. Overall, the film rates a 6/10, while a mediocre installment in a promising franchise. It is entertaining, albeit lacking much heart that the first two X-Men films had.

Obsidian said:
I voted poor mainly because of the intense disappointment. Overall, the film rates a 6/10, while a mediocre installment in a promising franchise. It is entertaining, albeit lacking much heart that the first two X-Men films had.

Everything he/she said. Sadly.

It is really great and I mean that...
It has it's flaws but every movie has his flaws

I think X3 is the best CBM to date, not because X3 is so great but because all CBMs have been so mediocre for some reason. I don't know why comic books are so hard to translate effectively to the big screen. "Batman Begins" is my 2nd favorite but had too much backstory, was boring in parts, I didn't like the microwave machine and a lot of the action was poorly choreographed, regardless if it was supposed to be that way. However, I would rank BB as the most intelligent CBM to date. My #2 is X2 but again there was too little X-Men teamwork and the whole stretch from Magneto landing the plane to the Wolvie vs. Lady Deathstrike fight was very boring (too many "Find all the mutants!" scenes and too much idle time around the campfire). Some of the effects remind me of a SciFi channel movie. However, X2 did the best job of building toward the next installment with Singer's handling of the Phoenix emerging in Jean, which was extremely effective. However, this leads to my main problem with X3--the many missed golden opportunities (
no Phoenix rising, Cyke's offscreen death, no firebird, no Sentinels outside Danger Room, the total disregard of the Dark Phoenix Saga
). It could have been so much better than it was if it had better writers and more sophisticated editing. However, putting aside what it could have been and judging it on what it is--it is the best CBM to date. Again, that is really not saying much since most have been so uninspiring. The Jean vs. Prof X scene is the best single scene of any CBM.

As for the future, BB2 has great potential to surpass X3 with much of Batman's backstory complete and the Joker setup. (Something about the Joker playing card at the end of BB tells me it will be a great movie.) I can't wait to see how Nolan handles the Joker but I hope he doesn't go TOO overboard with his backstory and comes up with a more interesting and less cliche doomsday dilemma than the microwave. Apparently the S3 trailer looks good but I haven't seen it. I have mixed feelings about the Wolverine movie. I would like to see it very serious, dark and violent and hopefully rated R (doubt it!!), and maybe directed by whoever cut the X3 trailer (which is better than the actual movie, with more effective edits). I haven't seen SR so I don't know how to rank it, but it appears that however good or not the movie is, there is great sequel potential there.

This might be the summer of missed opportunities when it comes to CBMs but I am optimistic about all the sequels coming up. Hopefully the moviemakers will learn from recent mistakes!!

P.S. I haven't seen "Sin City."
P.P.S. Wow I didn't know I typed so much!! :D

Edit-OMG I forgot spoilers tags!!

Average.

They killed off or took the abilities away from too many main characters.
and WHERE was Nightcrawler?
and WHAT do they do with Jimmy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"