Dark Phoenix X-Men: Dark PhoeniX Rate and Review Thread (spoilers in spoiler tags)

And The Dark Phoenix itself is handled even worse here than in The Last Stand. At least in Last Stand she had some impressive feats like when she destroyed her home and at the end where she levels Alcatraz. She doesn't do nearly enough (and I think the movie would have been better off focusing on The Cure and leaving The Dark Phoenix out entirely), but in the little time she has she really does come across as this powerful unstable force of nature who leaves destruction in her wake. What does she do here? Fling Mystigue across the street? Make Xavier walk up some stairs? Fly into the sky a few times? There is no sense of her being this intergalactic god that she's described as being. Jean was probably more impressive in the last movie when she took out Apocalypse than anything she does here, and since the movie is called DARK PHOENIX that's a major problem.

Necro, I know. But there is very good reason for that as I stated above. It is because Jean wasn’t suppose to be the Dark Phoenix until at the very end of the movie where she flies off into space to potentially destroy a star in the cancelled sequel. The cast and crew pretty much say this in the behind the scene content.

In the original storyline Jean is only the Dark Phoenix for two issues. It was never really about her causing havok but a psychological character study on her mental health. Which is what the movie basically tried to be.

I’m not saying you should like it, but those type criticisms were never exactly fair.

EDIT:
They also keep driving the point of what a bastard Xavier is and it just confused me because I'm not really sure what he did that was that bad.

Not properly dealing with trauma can make it worse and lead to something like PTSD, which is basically what happened to Jean.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"