RDJ and Robert Duvall in....The Judge

Well, not the commercially successful stuff. Maybe stuff like the Soloist and Zodiac. Downey still has to play a villain, which I think will probably be one of his more coveted roles in the future.

Downey played a villain in US Marshals.

The trailer didn't make this look very interesting. Looks kind of like a "heartwarming" Lifetime original movie bumped up with a good cast.

And re: Nicholson vs. Duvall, I think Duvall is a better actor than Nicholson (sue me), but I think Nicholson has more...pzazz...and maybe could have kicked something that looks as trite as this up a little. And Downey vs. Nicholson could have been fun.

The tone is all over the place in the trailer.

Not surprised at the "it looks like a Lifetime drama" comments. Because that's how I felt when I saw the trailer last night.

RDJ should stick to comedy, Sherlock and his bread-and-butter, Tony Stark.

@mclay RDJ is an Oscar nominated actor who's done plenty of drama. In fact, others can argue that he needs to do more non-franchise films. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't I guess.

I'm not defending The Judge either if you're wondering. The movie looks fine..but if it didn't have RDJ no one would've noticed. A movie like this would've been a Ashley Judd movie back in the 90's. Yes, her as the lawyer!

Last edited:
What RDJ needs to do is maybe a comedy with Channing Tatum

Downey can do drama. This just doesn't look like good drama. It looks trite and cliched.

If there's one thing I can kinda appreciate, it's that it's a courtroom drama which is a rarity these days.

@mclay RDJ is an Oscar nominated actor who's done plenty of drama. In fact, others can argue that he needs to do more non-franchise films. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't I guess.

I'm not defending The Judge either if you're wondering. The movie looks fine..but if it didn't have RDJ no one would've noticed. A movie like this would've been a Ashley Judd movie back in the 90's. Yes, her as the lawyer!

Whatever happened to Ashley Judd besides her brief foray into politics, btw? And those wolf commercials.

Sometimes you gotta break away from the spectacle. Ironically the movies that are the most boring are always the ones getting nods.

I just hope RDJ gets to star in that Steve McQueen (the dead one)'s scripted project about treasure hunting in Mexico. That sounds way too cool to pass up on.

This looks good, stereotypical? Yes but not bad.

That's what I wanna see. Love him as Tony Stark but I wanna see him do some original work comedy or drama. Hopefully after AoU wraps he'll move to that

Guess I am one of the few that liked the trailer. Maybe it was growing up a momma's boy who spent many an afternoon watching the Lifetime channel, but it works for me. The actors alone make it worth it imo.

I think they're marketing this as more of a dramedy to appeal to how we perceive RDJ now: More quirky and lighter. I'm guessing this more drama going on than what it looks like. Editing can make anything look different.

That poster looks more somber and dramatic than the trailer seems to indicate. Plus, as much as I love what RDJ is doing now, the guy has such a range and a real dramatic talent that I want to see more of that now. He can afford to get back into doing smaller, more daring dramatic pieces. He's gotta keep doing different things. It'll make us love him more, especially at the popularity he's at now.

I like the trailer. Though the one thing shot I didn't like was with RDJ riding his bike, and lifting his arms in the air. Other movies have done it (Walter Mitty for example) where the main character just....loosens up and 'lets go'. Such a cliche.

I like the trailer. Though the one thing shot I didn't like was with RDJ riding his bike, and lifting his arms in the air. Other movies have done it (Walter Mitty for example) where the main character just....loosens up and 'lets go'. Such a cliche.

Good call. That's kind of how I feel about the whole trailer though.

Hotshot lawyer makes a reluctant homecoming to the small town he left behind and looks down on, reluctantly reconnects with the overbearing father, etc.

There's also the voiceover of RDJ's friend/brother offering some good advice on life. It's a little on the nose.

Surprise, surprise, influences everywhere. Story tropes exist for a reason, not saying you can't avoid them but, yeah....

I think they're marketing this as more of a dramedy to appeal to how we perceive RDJ now: More quirky and lighter. I'm guessing this more drama going on than what it looks like. Editing can make anything look different.

That poster looks more somber and dramatic than the trailer seems to indicate. Plus, as much as I love what RDJ is doing now, the guy has such a range and a real dramatic talent that I want to see more of that now. He can afford to get back into doing smaller, more daring dramatic pieces. He's gotta keep doing different things. It'll make us love him more, especially at the popularity he's at now.

Did you see The Soloist? It pretty much went by completely unnoticed but RDJ delivers a very fine performance in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"