Ready Lounger One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah for me it's part of the same story so for eg I knew RotS, no matter how good, could never live up to what I would have wanted from the conclusion to the Darth Vader prequel story because of how it had been setup. This new trilogy needed a strong 2nd film to position the 3rd with the potential to get to the top. I think Avengers 4 is going to be better positioned now to be my biggest hyped of next year.

The challenge that the Episode trilogy cappers face relative to the MCU is that they only have 2 films to build up and so no chances to F up. Unlike the MCU which has had and used multiple chances with average or merely above average films but hit the right notes most of the time with some very good entries. That said, because of how directly relevant it likely is, Infinity War will still be crucial and in this case probably as important as TLJ to the next entry's hopes.

Well the way I look at it, the MCU isn't really like cinema as I've known it to be. The MCU feels (barring one or two exceptions) like a television series with two hour instalments told slowly over the span of years. The way I see it, Infinity War/Avengers 4 is basically just the series finale of that. I don't really compare it to films like Star Wars, Planet of the Apes etc

I'll say this much though, I'm genuinely invested in seeing what becomes of Kylo Ren and that alone will get me to see IX.

Well the way I look at it, the MCU isn't really like cinema as I've known it to be. The MCU feels (barring one or two exceptions) like a television series with two hour instalments told slowly over the span of years. The way I see it, Infinity War/Avengers 4 is basically just the series finale of that. I don't really compare it to films like Star Wars, Planet of the Apes etc

I'll say this much though, I'm genuinely invested in seeing what becomes of Kylo Ren and that alone will get me to see IX.

I do actually see it in the same way. The MCU had a great season opener, its share of filler, many standout episodes and now the buildup to a huge finale. But because this series finale (double header) is classified as a film, and of course the on-the-day experience is still a 2.5 hour day out at the cinema with popcorn, I'd compare the scale to a film series capper like Episode 9. TFA did fine but I needed the 2nd film to get me in the exact right place to be ready to explode for the final film like TTT did ahead of RotK. It's not like TLJ was a bad film to me, but it needed to be a TTT if IX was going to maintain it's potential for being my most anticipated film.

There was never any question of me not seeing IX, but at the moment I would have expected to be thinking about it every day and I'm barely thinking about it at all. :csad:

I do actually see it in the same way. The MCU had a great season opener, its share of filler, many standout episodes and now the buildup to a huge finale. But because this series finale (double header) is classified as a film, and of course the on-the-day experience is still a 2.5 hour day out at the cinema with popcorn, I'd compare the scale to a film series capper like Episode 9. TFA did fine but I needed the 2nd film to get me in the exact right place to be ready to explode for the final film like TTT did ahead of RotK. It's not like TLJ was a bad film to me, but it needed to be a TTT if IX was going to maintain it's potential for being my most anticipated film.

There was never any question of me not seeing IX, but at the moment I would have expected to be thinking about it every day and I'm barely thinking about it at all. :csad:

That's kind of how I feel about the Avengers IW/4 which bums me out. I think knowing that it's never going to end and there will be 2-4 or even more in the future has sucked some of the fun out of it.

Now that I think about it, SW is going to be doing the same thing too. :whatever:

That's kind of how I feel about the Avengers IW/4 which bums me out. I think knowing that it's never going to end and there will be 2-4 or even more in the future has sucked some of the fun out of it.

Now that I think about it, SW is going to be doing the same thing too. :whatever:

The perpetually ongoing franchise thing does have some additional challenges beyond what limited series films or even most TV shows (where an end at some point down the line is usually assumed) have. The MCU could potentially not end at all in our lifetimes so the finality you can get from a true film series capper is not quite achievable. It has to be imitated in a certain way which may or may not work. Will be interesting in IW and A4 as this will be the first time they’ve even tried to go for that aspect.

There are only three reasons for the MCU ending in our lifetime: nuclear apocalypse, or Marvel Studios going bankrupt and no other studio buying the rights and continuing it, or films cease to be a popular form of entertainment.

Well at least for me when it comes to the Star Wars sequels while of course I was always going to see them it's also kind of a double-edged sword.

For me it's like Game of Thrones vs A Song of Ice and Fire. Will I read The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring if and when they come out? Of course, and I don't doubt their quality, but no matter how good the experience my hype is always going to be dampened by the fact that I've seen the tv show ending first. Even if the two are vastly different, I've still seen a version told already. And I say this as someone who thinks A Storm of Swords and A Dance With Dragons are two of the greatest fantasy novels ever written.

Same thing with sequels to the OT. I got a version of the sequels about 25 years ago with Thrawn, Jedi Academy, Yuuzhan Vong etc, so really the films were never going to be this massive thing I've been aching for my whole life.

whKt95i.gif

Judging by his previous moniker, I don't think he's a fan of proper birth control. So we have to hope he's sterile, less he spawn some awful progeny in the future.

...Who am I kidding. He's never known the touch of another human being.

I fell asleep at 5pm, and woke up at 5:30am. Perfectly healthy, no need for alarm. I missed the Raptors game though, so I guess I'd best check.... hm.

They keep pushing that boulder up that hill. And then they trip, and everyone has a bad time.

doesnt matter my canadian muffin...

Philly V Houston finals

but... New Orleans will be there sooner than later...

God damnit... We've talked about this but ya'll in Russia keep working my last nerve these past couple of years.

So let's go through Miguel's Two Rules For Getting Your Civilization To A Star Trek The Next Generation Level Of Peace And Prosperity, shall we?

Rule Numer One: NEVER GIVE THE ROBOTS GUNS.

Rule Numer Two: NEVER GIVE THE MONKEYS GUNS.

Why is this so hard to follow?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=HTPIED6jUdU

PS When a Russian government official says they aren't working on Terminators you can be pretty sure they are working on Terminators.

PPS I will strangle the first one of you Loungers that make a Russian Bot reference.

Last edited:
Nothing has compared to the original three. :(
The first two are overrated, especially the first one.

The Last Jedi kind of retroactively ruins The Force Awakens for me.

I like Rogue One better than the continuation trilogy because it’s a stand alone that doesn’t screw stuff up.
I like Rogue One more than every other movie.

doesnt matter my canadian muffin...

Philly V Houston finals

but... New Orleans will be there sooner than later...
When the Flyers were eliminated last night, the fans threw garbage on the ice. What happens if Philly loses to Houston in the finals? Do they just set the arena ablaze?

and make cheese steaks with the coals.

Kryptin... my mojo is always 200%

and make cheese steaks with the coals.

Kryptin... my mojo is always 200%

When you wave a mojo detecting device over Reek this is what appears on the readout.

xE5wrLx_d.jpg

So we are talking mojo reserves that go off the scale.

The perpetually ongoing franchise thing does have some additional challenges beyond what limited series films or even most TV shows (where an end at some point down the line is usually assumed) have. The MCU could potentially not end at all in our lifetimes so the finality you can get from a true film series capper is not quite achievable. It has to be imitated in a certain way which may or may not work. Will be interesting in IW and A4 as this will be the first time they’ve even tried to go for that aspect.

I have honestly forgot that IW comes out this weekend several times in the last few months. This past weekend I was trying to figure out if it came out that weekend or this coming one. For years I was always at the Thur night premier and not I'm pretty meh about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"