Recast Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Sawyer, May 19, 2020.

1. Sawyer High King

Part of Ruby Rose leaving seems to stem from her not being accustomed to the schedule of a 20+ episode a season show, so I doubt it would be any different for a girl who’s only done movies and a streaming show. We’d just be looking for another Kate for season 3.

2. Fincher Coming Undone

Then I guess I shouldn't bother pointing out that Megan Fox is bi and about as much of a Ruby Rose lookalike as you're likely to find.

I don't know. I don't think they made it easy on themselves limiting it to LGBT actresses, because now they'll get more criticism if they change it than if they'd never done it to begin with. So if they want someone who's LGBT, who's shown they can handle the strain, who's willing to be on the CW, who's in or can get in at least vague fighting shape, on top of considerations of acting ability and resemblance to the previous actress...at the very least it's hard to fancast for that. Maybe chamber-music's right, and they should reduce the episode load.

3. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Anyone from the L Word is too old for this role now. That was about 15 years ago.

4. Antonello Blueberry Inglorious bastard

There's a new L world series, maybe you don't know.

5. Antonello Blueberry Inglorious bastard

I was going to place a bet on Wallis Day, but she's straight.

6. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

You know what I find one of the strangest things about this whole, the actor has to be gay thing is? You are saying the actor must not only be gay or bi, but out. Well good luck to those who aren't comfortable with that.

Personally for me, who ever fits the role best, should get it. The issue is, that doesn't really apply to gay actors and straight roles. So I get the sentiment of giving a gay role to a gay actor. The issue here is the way they go about it, feels like obvious pandering, and it is unfair for whoever gets the role. Though I don't think they will mind to much, they will have a job and good for them. :D

WhoMani and Snow Queen like this.
  7. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

if you need someone taller from the LGBTG community, what about transgender actress Eve Lindley (from Dispatches From Elsewhere)

8. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

The perfect human being known as Ellen Page is 5 foot nothing. :atp:

But people do realize she is on The Umbrella Academy right? If not, enjoy!

Snow Queen likes this.
  9. Thome216 Registered

Delevigne is really good! But, isn't she already doing season 2 of Carnival Row with Legolas?

Since they have to replace her, I hope they find a taller actress, 5'10" at least. (And I know, Delevigne is two below...):oldrazz:

10. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I am going to assume they already have the replacement picked. Or at least the nominees down to a "final" list. I am so curious, because I know a lot of biggish names being named in here probably aren't a possibility. But I guess you never know.

Snow Queen likes this.
  11. Wheels Groovy

Ehhh I don't know about that. It's a case by case thing I'd say.

12. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I understand the reasoning. The show was going to have one of the most prominent gay leads on the network. I mean, the CW is very queer friendly, but a lot of the other shows are more ensemble casts than Batwoman.

13. Mysteryman Registered

What would be wrong with hiring a straight actress who was an outspoken advocate for the.LGBTQ community?

14. Sawyer High King

I respect their desire to fill this role with an actress who shares the experience of the character she‘s playing with so many straight actors playing gay characters on TV and in movies... but I feel like (short of getting an unknown) the options are... narrow.

An out-LGBT actress of a certain age and (considering they’re probably not writing out or recasting her relatives) a certain ethnicity, it’s like... Ellen Page or close up shop?

WhoMani and Snow Queen like this.
  15. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I do not. When did that start and is it a complete reboot or a sequel to the original?

The original was pretty boring. I only caught a few episodes.

#40 Dark Raven, May 21, 2020
    Last edited: May 21, 2020
  16. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I don't think they'll do that. With Dreamer, Nicole Maines wanted to incorporate that aspect into her character.

Now how are they going to retcon that Kate Kane was actually a boy before when she was Alice's twin sister? Are they going to say she was her twin brother? And when did she have a sex change when there are all these flashbacks of her when young, and she never expressed any discontent with her gender?

Batwoman has always identified as lesbian in this show and not once mentioned being trans. You'd think that would be a pretty big deal. So they are stuck with what they have.

I assume she didn't just quit or was fired only now but it was decided a while ago and they've already been considering other options to replace her.

17. Dr. From parts unknown

I think @Spider-Fan83 means that the trans actor would play a lesbian. So that aspect of Kate’s backstory would remain the same.

But in this day-and-age, “identity” and “identifying as” are minefields. After Rose was cast as Batwoman, she was criticized for not being lesbian enough -- since she identified as gender fluid. Who knows what the woke types would make of trans woman playing a lesbian? :huh::shrug:

3rdstone likes this.
  18. WhoMani Registered

They sort of limiting their options if they insist on casting someone who's openly gay or bi. What's wrong with casting the best person for the role regardless of their sexual orientation? I know they have the best intentions as they want more more inclusions and that the CW sees themselves as gay friendly. Isn't it a little unfair to gay/bi actors that would prefer their personal lives to be private and that they don't have any desire to be the poster child for gay superheroes/characters?

#43 WhoMani, May 21, 2020
    SuperRouth and Dark Raven like this.
  19. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I dunno. Would that trans actress be content just playing a lesbian or would she gradually want to introduce the fact that she was a different gender originally to bring attention to that? And would the CW execs also want to explore that since they have another trans actress? Therefore it seems that a retcon would become inevitable even though they've pretty much written themselves into a corner.

Unless they use Crisis again to say that now Kate Kane was originally a boy, but that it took months for this effect to set in. But these delayed Crisis changes would just get silly.

20. Dr. From parts unknown

Recasting a show’s lead is a big deal and potentially very disorienting. So I’d imagine the showrunners would want to keep everything else - supporting cast, plot lines and continuity - as stable and familiar as possible. As such, I think rewriting Kate’s backstory to accommodate a trans actor is out of the question. The character (in comics) was conceived as lesbian; she was lesbian in the series’ first season. And that’s what she’ll be in the second season.

21. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

fair enough, I didn't think that deep into it... wasn't suggesting a full retcon of the character and was just thinking Eve could play the role as a female character
    (had just recently seen dispatches, and really liked Eve's character in that)

if anything I could see the issue being that the character isn't effeminate enough, that a transgender performer wouldn't want to dress tomboyish or cut their hair short

#46 Spider-Fan83, May 21, 2020
  22. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

You don't want her being "effeminate". You only use that adjective of a man who has feminine qualities - eg like Boy George. You don't call a woman "effeminate" but "feminine". And if you are genuinely using "effeminate" to apply to a trans actress, that would imply that she is basically still a man but also some feminine qualities. But if she's still a man, then I don't want that for Kate Kane.

23. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

^it would seem I miss spoke
    (this was a result of me being out of touch with the time, and current terminology, not an intentional commentary on anyone, or any type of judgment)

#48 Spider-Fan83, May 21, 2020
  24. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

No? They arent forcing them to audition.

Snow Queen likes this.
  25. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Maybe Alice will skin Kate's face at the beginning of season 2, leaving her to acquire a new look out of necessity. That would be one way of doing it using a plot device that has already been set up in the series.