Recast Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Batwoman' started by Sawyer, May 19, 2020.

1. WhoMani Registered

You misunderstood my point... nvm.

2. 3rdstone Original Manhunter

Yeah, I also read she wants the role. She's awesome, and I think it could work.

3. Sithborg The Pink Devil

Apparently Jade Tailor, Kady from The Magicians, also kind of threw her hat in the ring, which, damnit, is now something I want. If just for an another awesome musical crossover.

haephestus likes this.
  4. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

It would be weird if Batwoman is now a singing sensation like Melissa Benoist. But better that than a wooden actress.

5. Thome216 Registered

When the musical comes along, you'll be glad they can sing!

6. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I'm happy for Batwoman to be able to sing. I wish that it was someone like that in the first place than the wooden Rose. Someone with more personality who carries the show and makes it a joy to watch for them in themselves than just watching because of the plot or other supporting characters.

I wouldn't mind if Kate Kane was killed off by Alice and then Julia Pennyworth took up the mantle of Batwoman.

7. Sawyer High King

Love her. Into it.

EDIT: lol and of course I’m already seeing a bunch of fangirls with Lena Luthor avatars coming for her in the comments and saying the show is only looking for lesbians when they’ve never explicitly said any such thing.

#57 Sawyer, May 23, 2020
    Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Sithborg likes this.
  8. Sawyer High King

She really does look quite a bit like young Kate too.

Primal Slayer and Sithborg like this.
  9. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Why do these fangirls have Lena Luthor avatars when she's not even a lesbian, and not even played by a lesbian actress even if the CW turned the character into one? As such, she's not even really representative of the lesbian fans.

10. fan4stic Registered

Pheobe Tonkin
    Jade Tailor
    Sara Paxton

11. Sithborg The Pink Devil

Walk away. Just... walk away.

Primal Slayer and Snow Queen like this.
  12. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The manips have already begun with the potential recasts and they look good

So right now....as far known actresses we have
    Wallis Day

Katy O'Brian

Jade Tailor

All interested in the role, all would be fairly good. Hopefully they get a chance to auditon.

#62 Primal Slayer, May 24, 2020
    Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Dark Raven likes this.
  13. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Either Wallis Day or Jade Tailor. No to Katy O'Brien. She might be worse than Ruby Rose. Besides, she already played a recurring role in Black Lightning which, in case anyone forgot, is in the Arrowverse now.

14. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

The actor who is playing "Bruce" was already in Arrow. Everyone has a "twin" out there.

15. Invader Joker Registered

Wallis Day seems like pretty much the perfect replacement.

Dark Raven likes this.
  16. Vaibow Registered

I roll my eyes at the cliche lesbian look people are going for... whatever an actress does in private should not be the pivotal reason she gets the role...

What's better, a great on screen performance that elevates the show.... gets people talking about Batwoman and what she stands for...

Or..

A lesbian is playing the role.

*She has to be a real lesbian, but doesn't matter if she isn't American, or a trained ninja, or can lift 150 lbs or know how to jump start car... but she has to be lesbian.

I just think that's the wrong message. It sends the message to kids "if I state my sexuality and stamp my feet, I get what I want.'

For sure, hire talent, don't discriminate based on sex, gender, creed... but don't make it someones defining feature.

17. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

This whole narrative that keeps getting pushed that "they're just giving it to the first lesbian they see and everyone else has to work so hard for roles in Hollywood, it's not fair!" is hilarious. As if straight actors havent gotten that privilege since...the creation of Hollywood.

Sithborg and Snow Queen like this.
  18. Sithborg The Pink Devil

But god forbid if they make the character black...

Batwoman is pretty much the highest profile gay character on the network. Hell, most of the broadcast networks, really. It is also a role that will have significant press interactions involved. If you just look at a few of the standard questions that get tossed out to people playing gay characters, it is something that a smart publicists would realize that, yeah, maybe actually having a gay actor in the role will be a good idea.

You may think that isn't an important part of the role, but it wouldn't be for you.

Snow Queen likes this.
  19. Dr. From parts unknown

I’m leaning towards Wallis Day. Not only does she roughly resemble Rose (features, height, age), but she’s one of the few fan-cast candidates that I’ve heard of and seen (via Krypton). I’m not sure, however, that Day meets the “requirement” - notwithstanding that she (apparently) is a strong supporter of LGBTQ rights.

I read about some American soap opera star who expressed interest in the role. And at the same she did so, she also announced that she was bi. Interesting. How do you vet and verify something so personal - especially if she’s currently linked to a male? OTOH, if the best available candidate is “only” bi, is that enough for Berlanti and Dries? :shrug:

Vaibow likes this.
  20. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Wallis is bi and has had girlfriends.

They never said that they are hiring a strictly lesbian actress, im pretty sure they've always LGBTQ so Bi should be fine...Ruby was gender fluid after all. I doubt they will vet/verify, if the actress lies they will be in for a rude awakening

21. Fincher Coming Undone

Lying about that would be a bad idea. Sure, it could get you a part, but if it ever comes out you'll always be that actress who was lying to take a job away from the LGBTQ community. And it's unlikely this'll go to a complete unknown, so it'll be someone who's able to get parts by other means.

22. WhoMani Registered

I don't know if boycotting straight actors from getting gay roles is the right approach as actors in general usually play characters that have a different point of view, different personality and lifestyle than the actors themselves...... But that's a whole other discussion.

If the produers wants to cast someone who's in the LGBTQ community then cool but make sure the actress is actually good and that she isn't simply cast just to tick a box.

Vaibow likes this.
  23. wwkirk Registered

What role is Katy O'Brien playing? I can't find a reference at IMDB.com

24. Vaibow Registered

Why wouldn't it be for me?

25. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

She was that army general person for Markovia who sometimes helped and sometimes opposed the Pierce family. She was always dressed in army fatigues and was never very feminine. I wouldn't want her for Kate Kane.

wwkirk likes this.