Batwoman Recast Suggestions?

Casting Ruby was cheap enough if you ask me. It was a poor move that was only ever going to end this way.

There was nothing to show that it'd end with her leaving due to not being able to handle the duties. It'd be like saying casting Ben Affleck as Batman was bound to end badly.

There was nothing to show that it'd end with her leaving due to not being able to handle the duties. It'd be like saying casting Ben Affleck as Batman was bound to end badly.
Ahem, I very much believe that I said somewhere from the get-go the words very similar to "she wont last", and oh look, she hasn't.

Batwoman (identity) - Wikipedia

This says there's a universe where Helena Wayne was Batwoman.

There's also Bette Kane.
Having other Batwomen isn't so much the problem - at least as far as using existing characters anyway. I don't get why they need to create a brand new one, and I don't understand either why that new character needs to be a lesbian. It's the loose ends that are the problem here. They should just recast Kate Kane. Would be so much easier on everyone.

This whole thread now seems somewhat moot, because it was based on whom the producers could recast as Kate Kane and who would be a good replacement.

Now that it's going to be an entirely different character, anyone is fair game. It's not even recasting now but just casting, and for a character we don't really know anything about other than the description they've given. If it's a completely new and invented character, then what does that even have to do with us anymore? The character is anything they want to make it.

It's always a 50/50 chance. But kudos.
It’s true that there’s always a chance, but I feel with many people cast, there’s a vibe to them.

Some people (like Gustin & Melissa) were unknown to me, and so it wasn’t a case of ‘I’ll give them a chance’, it was more ‘let’s watch and see how these guys are going to do’; and they’ve excelled in their roles.

Enter Ruby Rose who has a history, and is more known already - possibly as a lower key actress? Who knows. She’s already got a little light on her, and I’m sorry to have to say, but it was never a shining light, more of a flashlight.

She never struck me as someone who could hold on to something big and worthwhile to make it her own, and that’s shown here. She’s too erratic and self centred (I think) for this sorta’ role, and I wouldn’t have said she’s got a very good attention span.

I don’t know her personally, nor would I particularly want too, but her whole attitude and demeanour(?) doesn’t strike me as favourable.

Casting Ruby was cheap enough if you ask me. It was a poor move that was only ever going to end this way.

There’s no practical way they can just continue the story with a new character playing the role of Batwoman without actually writing the last one out, short of going the six months later routine, but we’re still going to have a lot of confused and begrudged viewers; not because of Ruby’s leaving, but rather because of the cliffhanger and no payoff.

If it is six months later, what's the need to keep around anyone in the cast like Dougray Scott or Rachel Skarsten? They were so tied to Kate Kane. And Sophie too. I suppose Sophie and Julia could stick around, but what's the point of Captain Kane and Alice? Bringing in a new character almost writes out half the cast too or makes them rather extraneous.

Is Alice going to taunt the new Batwoman just because? She has no personal connection at all. And if Kate Kane Batwoman died, wouldn't Jacob Kane find out who she is? Unless Luke Fox tried to hide her identity. But why would he do that? Surely Cpt Kane ought to know it was his own daughter all that time even to realise he was wrong about her.

And if Cpt Kane doesn't find out, then what are they going to say? That Batwoman/ Kate Kane went missing just like Bruce Wayne and left Gotham City? These Bat people/ Wayne family don't have a very good record of sticking around. How do we know then that Bruce Wayne even really left or maybe he died offscreen like Kate and it was covered up?

And it doesn't offer much hope for the new Batwoman if someone else assumes the mantle. Are they going to go missing or leave Gotham too after being in the role a while?

At this point wouldn't it be better to simply reboot the series entirely?

I should point out at this point that I’ve only watched four, maybe five episodes, and I never really paid full attention to them, and so have no idea who half the characters you’ve mentioned are.
At this point wouldn't it be better to simply reboot the series entirely?
On this I wholeheartedly agree. Either a complete reboot, or a recast. No need for new spontaneous characters.

since Batwoman already has done crossovers (and there's already future planned crossovers in the works) with the rest of the arrowverse I don't think a "reboot" is that "simply" done

since Batwoman already has done crossovers (and there's already future planned crossovers in the works) with the rest of the arrowverse I don't think a "reboot" is that "simply" done

This new Batwoman won't have any history with the rest of the Arrowverse and didn't even take part in any of the previous crossovers. Any upcoming ones will also require her to introduce herself to other characters. It's not like she's even going to have the chance to form a friendship with Kara.

So much for Kate being the "Paragon of Courage" lol. She was "essential" to saving all of Crisis and now....she gone.

But Kate is the one who's done the crossovers and has history with the rest of the Arrowverse characters, not the new character who's replacing her.

^ my point was more about them already being familiar with the concept of a Batwoman in general... maybe I just have a different view on what a "reboot" would mean, but it would be weird to me for the other characters to not acknowledge that this is a different Batwoman then the one they knew... when people say "reboot" I think, pretending like she never exited and start over from scratch with a whole new origin story (why, they already laid the ground work for the character)

since everyone is in the same world now, if (how-every they explain Kate's absence from the show, rather she's killed off/disappears/gets arrested,....) I would imagine the the other heroes who knew her would hear/know about what happen to her...

yes, they would have to be re-introduce to this new Batwoman either way, but their previous interaction with Kate should give them a reason to give her replacement the benefit of the doubt...

Last edited:
Its just weird that the producers think that creating a completely different character is a better option than simply recasting the character especially since we only had one season of Kate being the main character.

The network looks to have Vanessa Morgan of Riverdale, who will audition and screen test for Batwoman.

There's not much point to this thread anymore. With it being a completely brand new character, it would be like people debating who should be cast as William over on Supergirl.

The network looks to have Vanessa Morgan of Riverdale, who will audition and screen test for Batwoman.
Vanessa Morgan just got married to a guy though it means they are opening this up.

There's not much point to this thread anymore. With it being a completely brand new character, it would be like people debating who should be cast as William over on Supergirl.

I guess it's effectively a "Who should play the new Batwoman?" thread now. Maybe someday it'll be a "Somebody IS So-And-So" thread.

It's hard to fancast without knowing if this is a completely original character, but I might as well stay on the Jade Tailor train for the moment.

Last edited:
Vanessa Morgan just got married to a guy though it means they are opening this up.

Maybe not. But it’ll probably be a “political” can of worms anyway. Technically, a bisexual is a member of the LGBTQ community - the requirement specified by the Batwoman showrunners. On the other hand, a bi woman (especially if she’s currently with a guy) might be deemed not “gay enough.” :shrug:

since its a new character (instead of a version of the character that was openly gay in the comics, first) it might not be as controversial this time around, idk

even if her character is still a lesbian or even just bi...

she plays an openly bi character in Riverdale... and people don't get all up in arms that she got married to a guy (that i know of, I don't really follow Riverdale or any of the controversy associated with it)

I don't think casting straight people to play gay characters is usually controversial, but then they don't usually announce that they'll cast someone LGBTQ+ beforehand. Ruby is LGBTQ+, though, so...I don't know, maybe they made an issue of it because it was a lead character who was lesbian in the source material.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"