Recast The Defenders For The Big Screen

I could see him as Daredevil too. :up:

I couldn't. In the US, you normally can only take law as your second degree if I recall correctly. Dacre Montgomery is 25 and looks even younger. When is he supposed to have done 2 degrees and passed his bar exams and gained enough experience as a lawyer? He barely looks like he's even finished his undergraduate degree.

He certainly doesn't look like he's anywhere old enough to have his own law firm. If Foggy Nelson were running the law firm, a Montgomery DD would more likely be his law clerk or paralegal, or an undergraduate trying to get some summer work experience.

agreed. Montgomery is too young

I couldn't. In the US, you normally can only take law as your second degree if I recall correctly. Dacre Montgomery is 25 and looks even younger. When is he supposed to have done 2 degrees and passed his bar exams and gained enough experience as a lawyer? He barely looks like he's even finished his undergraduate degree.

He certainly doesn't look like he's anywhere old enough to have his own law firm. If Foggy Nelson were running the law firm, a Montgomery DD would more likely be his law clerk or paralegal, or an undergraduate trying to get some summer work experience.

Not much need to recast when you've got the Defenders you need in MCU. Not all of them, but enough.

BTW, an ex of mine got her Law degree after her sociology (BA) and Public Policy (MA) degrees. She passed the bar (until recently, I made a point of never passing any bar) before turning 25, but I don't think she could fight very well. I can't be sure about that because she never tried to hit me.

I came in here thinking I made a mistake and said Montgomery should be Daredevil. Then read the quotes.

I could see Michael Fassbender as Matt Murdock.

i like Fassbender as a pure actor, but i think he's been so overcast as Magneto, and so used
over that it would be more refreshing to add a new fresh face to the likelihood of Matt Murdock.
That's another reason i believe Charlie Cox really worked out as an intriguing face for Netflx's
Daredevil.
Fact is, i never had an issue with ANY of Netflix's cast of Marvel superheroes.

Frank Castle/The Punisher- Joe Manganiello
Matt Murdock/Daredevil- Armie Hammer
Luke Cage- Omari Hardwick (Ghost himself from Power)

Jessica Jones- Eliza Dushku
Danny Rand/Iron Fist- Garrett Hedlund

Though I am opposed to the recast of any of these characters (I think they could easily be introduced in a feature Marvel Knights film, either in theaters or Disney+), here's a bit of fun for the thread's sake. I've mostly recast the Netflix series, but also added additional characters like Gorgon as the head of The Hand—and ignored certain character deaths

If the characters are to continue on to the screen, I think a loose continuity can be maintained with only passing references to past adventures (i.e. we can know there's a past between Elektra & Matt, or we can understand that Iron Fist and Luke Cage know each other and have teamed as Heroes for Hire before).

MCU DEFENDERS

Some directing choices ahead of the casting,

Daredevil - Robert Eggers (The Lighthouse, The Witch)
Jessica Jones - Lorene Scafaria (Hustlers, Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist)
Luke Cage - Barry Jenkins (Moonlight, If Beale Street Could Talk)
Iron Fist - Hiro Murai (Atlanta, Barry)
Punisher - Josh Safdie (Uncut Gems, Good Time)

Heroes.

Daredevil: Nicholas Hoult, 30
rexfeatures_7977309cv.jpg

Jessica Jones: Dakota Johnson, 30
image.jpg

Luke Cage: John David Washington, 35
rexfeatures_9326804b.jpg

Iron Fist: Jack Reynor, 28
midsommar-jack-raynor.jpg

Punisher: Joel Edgerton, 45
joel-edgerton-zero-dark-thirty.jpg

Allies.

Ben Urich: Courtney B. Vance, 59
Courtney-B-Vance-1-600x338.jpg

Karen Page: Rachel Brosnahan, 29
Rachel-Brosnahan-David-Fisher_BAFTA_Shutterstock.jpg

Foggy Nelson: Paul Walter Hauser, 33
paul-walter.jpg

Stick: Pierce Brosnan, 66
etes-d598lXvR5HS97jfazj8epQ6kAhmHTWgcSqCnXw.jpg

Elektra: Alicia Vikander, 31
thumb2-alicia-vikander-2019-hollywood-swedish-actress-brunette-woman.jpg

Colleen Wing: Lana Condor, 22
DeadlyClass_Lana_10Things.jpg

Misty Knight: Kiki Layne, 28
ezgif-4-50f72a043a18.jpg

Micro: Jay Baruchel, 37
Jay-Baruchel-in-GQ-550x329.jpg

Sister Maggie: Patricia Clarkson, 60
rs_1024x759-181204115403-1024-sharp-objects-hbo-ch-120418.jpg

Jack 'the Devil' Murdock (deceased, shown in flashbacks): Christopher Abbott, 34
Christopher-Abbott.jpg

Enemies.

Kingpin: Tom Hanks, 63
m1mxjewa2jvj_wd640.jpeg

Vanessa Fisk: Monica Bellucci, 55
bellucci-afp-2015-kDFB--620x349@abc.jpg

Bullseye: Ben Foster, 39
https://****************.com/wp-content/uploads/ben-foster-faces-to-watch-2010.jpg

Gorgon: Ken Wantanabe, 60
IN_PE_Watanabe.jpg

Purple Man: Andrew Scott, 43
andrew-scott.jpg

Jigsaw: Oscar Isaac, 40
Oscar-Isaac-A-Most-Violent-Year.jpg

Typhoid Mary: Jodie Comer, 26
jodie-comer-fashion-t.jpg

Aaron Davis: Donald Glover, 36
(use Aaron Davis/Prowler to replace Turk as connective tissue across Marvel Knights characters)
Donald-Glover-Spider-Man.jpg

Tom Hanks is sporting a new bald look—still think he’d be a great big screen Fisk if we’re recasting:

snl-at-home-tom-hanks.jpg

Tom Hanks is a great actor but I can't see him in that role. Kingpin needs to be kind of big and intimidating. Vincent D’Onofrio has that quality. If he has to be replaced I'd go with Glenn Fleshler.

John Goodman as Kingpin or Michael Chiklis

John Goodman as Kingpin or Michael Chiklis

Are you going with Chiklis just because he's bald? Unless they get a really short Daredevil, Chiklis's Kingpin would likely end up shorter than everyone else.

i like Fassbender as a pure actor, but i think he's been so overcast as Magneto, and so used
over that it would be more refreshing to add a new fresh face to the likelihood of Matt Murdock.
That's another reason i believe Charlie Cox really worked out as an intriguing face for Netflx's
Daredevil.
Fact is, i never had an issue with ANY of Netflix's cast of Marvel superheroes.
Andrew Garfield as Matt Murdock
andrew-garfield-hairstyle-2017-jan092020-26-min.jpg

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II as Luke Cage
DvXBAA_X4AAt_BU.jpg

Naya Rivera as Claire Temple
Naya-Rivera-Faux-Bob.jpg

Emmy Rossum as Jessica Jones
emmy-rossum-front1.jpg

Ray Stevenson as Wilson Fisk
f0777bed8f15a6062a6c092a61f4aa4c.jpg

Marion Cotillard as Vanessa
5b0712810ef068afd580d858df889402.jpg

Blake Lively as Karen Page
838a70cc6444ea57be2c91d47355a6d8.jpg

Sarah Shahi as Elektra Natchios
d41fb16f159b6d6641279859a0852122.jpg

Kate Mara as Trish
Kate-Mara.jpg

Jonny Lee Miller as Kilgrave
Jonny-Lee-Miller-Bertie-Carvel-to-star-in-Ink-on-Broadway.jpg

Boyd Holbrook as Bullseye
EIP_ysuXsAAcg_p.jpg

Jonah Hill as Foggy Nelson
MV5BMTUxMTg1Mjc3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODI1MDAzMTI@._V1_SY500_CR0,0,343,500_AL_.jpg

Dylan O'Brien as Danny Rand
153c98172034412f0851d8328f2eda83.jpg

Gugu Mbatha Raw as Misty Knight
cloverfield-paradox-2018-ava-gugu-mbatha-raw-review.jpg

Chelsea Zhang as Colleen Wing
titans-s2-trailer-screencap-ravager-700x380.jpg

Michael Fassbender as Frank Castle
michael-fassbender-magneto-dark-phoenix-coat.jpg

Last edited:
I see a lot of really old castings for Kingpin. Chiklis is nearly 60, Hanks and Goodman are both over. None of those guys are gonna be going toe to toe with Daredevil and Spider-man.

Nonso-Anozie.jpg

If they were to racebend Fisk again, Nonso Anozie would be great, I think. Very large man who can be equal parts scary and charming. Plus he looks darn good in a suit.

Nonso as Kingpin...I can see it especially if he shaves his head completely bald then yes I can buy him as Fisk just like I did Michael Clarke Duncan RIP who also was a black Kingpin

So that in mind

Matt Murdock/Daredevil- Garrett Hedlund
Wilson Fisk/Kingpin- Nonso Anozie
Vanessa- Yaya DaCosta
Karen Page- Samara Weaving
Elektra Natchios- Eiza Gonzalez
Bullseye- Boyd Holbrook
Foggy Nelson- James Corden
Danny Rand/Iron Fist- Scott Eastwood
Misty Knight- Annie Ilonzeh
Colleen Wing- Arden Cho
Jessica Jones- Emmy Rossum
Luke Cage- Isaiah Mustafa
Frank Castle/Punisher- Jon Hamm

Nonso as Kingpin...I can see it especially if he shaves his head completely bald then yes I can buy him as Fisk just like I did Michael Clarke Duncan RIP who also was a black Kingpin

So that in mind

Matt Murdock/Daredevil- Garrett Hedlund
Wilson Fisk/Kingpin- Nonso Anozie
Vanessa- Yaya DaCosta
Karen Page- Samara Weaving
Elektra Natchios- Eiza Gonzalez
Bullseye- Boyd Holbrook
Foggy Nelson- James Corden
Danny Rand/Iron Fist- Scott Eastwood
Misty Knight- Annie Ilonzeh
Colleen Wing- Arden Cho
Jessica Jones- Emmy Rossum
Luke Cage- Isaiah Mustafa
Frank Castle/Punisher- Jon Hamm

I always wanted her for Misty Knight

Daredevil - Ryan Gosling
Luke Cage - Yahya Abdul Matteen II
Iron Fist - Billy Magnussen
Jessica Jones - Rooney Mara
Punisher - Jon Hamm

I would love to see a proper K’un Lun

I see a lot of really old castings for Kingpin. Chiklis is nearly 60, Hanks and Goodman are both over. None of those guys are gonna be going toe to toe with Daredevil and Spider-man.

Nonso-Anozie.jpg

If they were to racebend Fisk again, Nonso Anozie would be great, I think. Very large man who can be equal parts scary and charming. Plus he looks darn good in a suit.

That’s a fair point—I was thinking big name for Fisk, and more so of him as the guy behind the desk. But good call; some of Kingpin’s best moments are when he himself gets his hands dirty.

I'm not convinced they won't have Charlie Cox, Jon Bernthal etc, reprise their roles. Marvel hired J.K Simmons to play Jonah Jameson in the MCU, a role he played in another universe in another franchise of Spider-Man films. If they're OK with that, then they should have no problem with Charlie Cox continuing to play Daredevil especially if his portrayal of the character is well received (which it is).

Last edited:
Daredevil - Ryan Gosling
Luke Cage - Yahya Abdul Matteen II
Iron Fist - Billy Magnussen
Jessica Jones - Rooney Mara
Punisher - Jon Hamm
I've always wanted to see Gosling as a Marvel hero. I'd personally want him as an X-man, tbh, but he works for Daredevil too.

Funnily enough I came here to post that I wanted Jon Hamm as Daredevil but I won't protest if he was Punisher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"