Religion in the DCU

Bat-Mantis said:
Oh my god. This is going in my sig. It's just so unintentionally hilarious.
And your points from before are still just... wrong and don't make sense. I mean, sure. Saying he grew up in the Midwest with older Christian parents, was (apparently) raised in the church, has been known to visit a Priest for guidance, and since he's American he's 82% likely to be Christian doesn't mean he IS Christian... but claiming it's far fetched to say that he IS is just... wrong.
I'm gonna have to disagree. Kal El may have been Christian early in his life, but after becoming familiar with Krypton, his parents (the real one's) and his purpose he probably dropped that like it was a bad habit (figure of speech).

I'm glad someone sees where I'm coming from.

The Question said:
.....isn't that the same thing? :confused:

No, a aura is a bio-electric field that a life-form gives off because the the electrical activity in the body. When I think of "soul", its more about spirituality but I don't think that's the ability, to actually see the soul I mean.

Superman is a humanist and most likely agnostic, regardless of his parents' religon.

ShadowBoxing said:
I'm gonna have to disagree. Kal El may have been Christian early in his life, but after becoming familiar with Krypton, his parents (the real one's) and his purpose he probably dropped that like it was a bad habit (figure of speech).

Why? Why would Krypton, a planet he never steped foot on, and Jor-El and Lara, two people he's never even met, only seen recordings of, influence his spiritual descisions? I'd think it would be the people he's actually met here on Earth that would do that.

Agentdemon said:
No, a aura is a bio-electric field that a life-form gives off because the the electrical activity in the body. When I think of "soul", its more about spirituality but I don't think that's the ability, to actually see the soul I mean.

Well, I really don't see a contradiction. A soul is the life force of a sentient being. Weather or not to include it in a religion doesn't really change what it is.

The Question said:
.....isn't that the same thing? :confused:

nah, a conscious being is anything from a dog to a human. a dog has conscious thoughts about itself, its surroundings, etc. however a dog doesn't have a soul.

it might be conscious, but its not sentient, which is different. A dog can't define between right and wrong. a human can.

well thats my theory any how

The Question said:
Why? Why would Krypton, a planet he never steped foot on, and Jor-El and Lara, two people he's never even met, only seen recordings of, influence his spiritual descisions. I'd think it would be the people he's actually met here on Earth that would do that.
Its hard to relate to a human religion when you realize you are not included by default. They don't mention Kryptonians in the Bible.

There aren't any mention of the Japanese either. And I'm pretty sure there are Japanese christians.

Jeeze, why are so many people adamant about Superman not being a Christian? The guy was raised in Kansas. Maybe he's just a non-practicing Christian.

But frankly, I have a feeling that most DC heroes are essentially Universalists. Some Universalists believe that practically all paths are right on some level, and you only have to pick the one you want. Seeing as how we know several patheons of Gods exist in the DC universe, as well as one all-mighty force The Spectre works for, I don't see how anyone in the JLA isn't into Universalism.

Manic said:
Jeeze, why are so many people adamant about Superman not being a Christian? The guy was raised in Kansas. Maybe he's just a non-practicing Christian.

But frankly, I have a feeling that most DC heroes are essentially Universalists. Some Universalists believe that practically all paths are right on some level, and you only have to pick the one you want. Seeing as how we know several patheons of Gods exist in the DC universe, as well as one all-mighty force The Spectre works for, I don't see how anyone in the JLA isn't into Universalism.
I just don't see any indication of him being Christian. If anything he is Jewish...

ShadowBoxing said:
Its hard to relate to a human religion when you realize you are not included by default. They don't mention Kryptonians in the Bible.

THANK YOU!!!

It's about time someone else said that. People keep talking about how "closed" my eyes are. I mean, the people who created him were Jewish for crying out loud.

I don't know, he looks like a human in literally every aspect, and the Bible does say that God's chosen were created in His image.

I see what Xofenroht and SHadow are saying, and I can understand that, but I gotta figure the guys a non practicing protostant or something. I mean, he spent, his entire Childhood being brought up as a likely Christian. And I suppose if he really thought about it, sure he may come to that conclusion that Chritianity doesn't include him either. But, I think he more likely just stopped really caring at all about weather he was anything. He definatly believes in a higher power, hell, he's met the people that work for him. All in all, I would say he isn't anything really at this point, though he was likely raised as a Christian. People seem to make religion out like it's a race or something. Like, because your parents were Jewish, and you grew up Jewish, then your Jewish, when really your whatever the hell you want to be once you make up your mind. Fact is, the only time I ever saw Supes in church was in For Tommorrow, and even then, we know he was just looking to talk to somebody. I've never seen him and Lois at Church one Sunday Morning when freakin Braniac Attacks have you? So we really don't know.

And as far as him being Jewish, well, he may have been created as a Moses like character by a couple of Jews, and Kal El may also be a Hebrew name, but he's still an Alien who grew up in a portion of the world where there just aren't that many Jewish families running around. I mean, have you ever seen Pa Kent with one of those little hat thingies on his head reading the Tora?

And if he converted how would he get Circumsized?

Anubis said:
I see what Xofenroht and SHadow are saying, and I can understand that, but I gotta figure the guys a non practicing protostant or something. I mean, he spent, his entire Childhood being brought up as a likely Christian. And I suppose if he really thought about it, sure he may come to that conclusion that Chritianity doesn't include him either. But, I think he more likely just stopped really caring at all about weather he was anything. He definatly believes in a higher power, hell, he's met the people that work for him. All in all, I would say he isn't anything really at this point, though he was likely raised as a Christian. People seem to make religion out like it's a race or something. Like, because your parents were Jewish, and you grew up Jewish, then your Jewish, when really your whatever the hell you want to be once you make up your mind. Fact is, the only time I ever saw Supes in church was in For Tommorrow, and even then, we know he was just looking to talk to somebody. I've never seen him and Lois at Church one Sunday Morning when freakin Braniac Attacks have you? So we really don't know.

And as far as him being Jewish, well, he may have been created as a Moses like character by a couple of Jews, and Kal El may also be a Hebrew name, but he's still an Alien who grew up in a portion of the world where there just aren't that many Jewish families running around. I mean, have you ever seen Pa Kent with one of those little hat thingies on his head reading the Tora?
I never said anything about non-practicing. Technically an atheist is a non-practicing christian is his parents were christian.

And he has met the Spectre...so yeah her would have to believe in a higher power

I know, hell I'm circumcised. I'm just saying, if he wasnt', and suddenly decided to be Jewish, how exactly would he get it done? Would he do it himself?

Anubis said:
I know, hell I'm circumcised. I'm just saying, if he wasnt', and suddenly decided to be Jewish, how exactly would he get it done? Would he do it himself?
umm kryptonite scissors I guess.

He could. I wouldn't envy him at all, but he could. He shaves with heat vision, after all.

ShadowBoxing said:
I never said anything about non-practicing. Technically an atheist is a non-practicing christian is his parents were christian.

And he has met the Spectre...so yeah her would have to believe in a higher power

Yeah, but theres a differnce between being an Atheist and simply not caring about Religion. You can still be spiritual and believe in God, just not belonging particular religious group.

As a sidebar, I wouldn't consider an atheist a non-practicing Christian if their parents are Christian. That automatically assumes that everyone must be defined by some religion. I'd consider an atheist just an atheist, which by its very nature is an unpracticed religion, because I'd go by the person's belief system.

TheCorpulent1 said:
He could. I wouldn't envy him at all, but he could. He shaves with heat vision, after all.

You know, if I was him, I just be like, thats okay. God knows my heart and I save the universe enough to get a free ride into heaven.

But he's Superman, so he wouldn't do anything half-assed, even joining a new religion.

Anubis said:
You know, if I was him, I just be like, thats okay. God knows my heart and I save the universe enough to get a free ride into heaven.
Why would he even care though?? Doesn't he do whats right because he feels it right, and not to please some god or get some reward after he is dead

uhhh joke

ANd yeah, who does things for a shot in heaven? (More people than you might think, but thats not my point) But, there are certain religions that feel that no matter how good you are, if you don't follow they're particular religious doctorine, then your going to hell. One of the many reasons I've abandond organized religion altogether. I believe in God and try to do whats right by the supreme being, (I.E. not Robbing or killing people no matter how much I want to.) and thats all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"