DCU Dark

I'm not really caring for the line up in that book so far. So unless they add some bigger names, I'm going to pass.

Animal Man ending with issue 29

But he's moving onto the new Justice League team by Jeff Lemire.

Sucks as I actually liked this book. At least it lasted longer than lots of other 52 books.

It feels like its becoming harder and harder for solo books featuring characters that aren't household names or part of an established franchise (Bat books/Supes books, ect) to get a decent run these days :csad:

Whats been happening in Pandora and Phantom Stranger? Anything I should know before buying the crossover issues?

Not much in Pandora. We learn...

...that the Sins she released didn't bring sin into the world but rather fed off humanity's sin and I think nurtured it or something like that. Also, Pandora can now kill them, whereas before no one could touch them. The Sins were apparently from the same world as the Crime Syndicate. The Box (as shown in Trinity War) was a doorway there, which is how they came through when Pandora first opened it years ago.

Phantom Stanger is a bit more involved...

We learned back around issue 5 that Constantine has one of Phantom Stranger's 30 pieces of silver (which he needs so that he can basically work his sins off). That comes into play in the first part of the crossover. Also, Phantom Stranger had adopted a family as his own. Their babysitter... a teenager named Chris... died and Phantom Stranger brought him back from heaven. Now Chris can walk through walls like a ghost, and people naturally stay away or fear him. He's a little freaked out about it and feels like an outsider. He's only really been featured in an issue or two, so he feels really new. Those are the main things to know I think.

Also...

The last issues of Phantom Stranger, Pandora, and Justice League Dark had Constantine pull the Trinity of Sin to him in a mock-scene of when Shazam and the other gods first cursed them. That is where part 1 (Phantom Stranger) begins.

And if you didn't know, last week's Phantom Stranger was the official part 1 of the crossover, though I'd read Justice League Dark since Trinity War ended (if you haven't already), as those lead into the crossover. They are important. And while Pandora's just sorta been okay since it launched, Phantom Stranger has been phenomenal. I recommend reading it all. It starts off slow when Didio was writing it, but by issue 4 or 5 when DeMatteis took over it starts picking up and became really really awesome right around Trinity War. It's my favorite book right now. I purposely made my description of what you needed to know vague so I wouldn't ruin too much. The [blackout]Chris[/blackout] thing is a bit ruining, but it's important for the crossover.

Last edited:
Sucks as I actually liked this book. At least it lasted longer than lots of other 52 books.

It feels like its becoming harder and harder for solo books featuring characters that aren't household names or part of an established franchise (Bat books/Supes books, ect) to get a decent run these days :csad:

In this case its the writer's decision rather than a sales issue which is why its kind of annoying. I really hoping a different writer could take over as Lemire was getting quite stale.

I am not even mad. Fantastic book and i think its better for it to end on a high note. Animal Man in Justice League sounds a bit meh but Vertigo is dead so there is no point to expect any more vertigo stuff with him or constantine.

Actually Vertigo is getting a ton of new titles next year.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50104

Great interview with Charles Soule where he reflects upon his first arc with Swamp Thing, what he was trying to do and what he plans going forward.

Soule is killing it with this title.

Agreed. I think the title under Soule is been a tad bit inconsistent, the first two arcs especially, but once the Seeder arc started in earnest, it really took off. Despite being mildly disappointed with last month's issue, I greatly enjoyed this month's. I'm hoping DC will allow Soule to cut loose a bit more and really take this book in a grand, epic direction.

In regards to the article, I find it amusing that in the article, the writer mentions the "long history of brilliant stories from the character's past written by industry legends like Len Wein, Alan Moore, Brian K. Vaughan and Andy Diggle."

Now, don't get me wrong. Brian K. Vaughn is a solid writer, but his run was THE WORST the title's ever been. I also find it amusing that they totally ignored Mark Millar. I'm not a fan of his by any means, but his run on Swamp Thing was second to Moore's run in terms of sheer brilliance. It's the only thing of his that I've truly enjoyed. And since the title relaunched under the New52, every article and author that talks about the history of the character always fails to mention him and his run.

I've really dug Soule here. Especially this Seeder storyline. The New 52 Swamp Thing has been my first Swamp Thing runs so I'm really curious about going back and reading some of Alan Moore's run n whatnot.

Alan Moore stuff is great. I've only ever read the Alan Moore Swamp Thing and the New 52 one.

So, over in Swamp Thing, Alec has made some major power plays. It will be interesting to see how Soule plays this out. Essentially, while Swamp Thing in the past, when growing tired of the demands everyone makes of him just says "Screw you guys, I'm just going to go hang out in the swamp and eat yams with Abby" this iteration of Alec is basically saying "You're time is done, I'm taking over." If this continues, declare that this Swamp Thing should be referred to as Caesar Salad.

Additionally I think the resolution with the Seeder went a little too quick and a bit unclear to be quite honest.

Last edited:
Agreed about it going too quick. Expected him to put up way more of a fight

Swamp Thing 28 was pretty good. Its very much a setup issue, setting up a Plant Cult and a run-in with Etrigan/Jason Blood to be specific.

While it was good to finally get some backstory on Capucine, I don't think it was handled the best. It rendered most of this issue as pure exposition that really didn't connect well with the first part of the issue, which included a goddamn Mardis Gras Swamp Thing (!).

Basically Soule needed this issue to do a few different things, and it does each of them well, but they feel a bit odd all in one issue. Overall Capucine is a great character but her introduction has been so protracted that even she comments on how ridiculous it is that every time she tries to explain herself Swamp Thing runs off.

Soule has been pretty great overall and my small qualms aside this issue is no different. His focus on smaller arcs has been greatly enjoyable. In contrast, Animal Man has been stuck with the same writer, Jeff Lemire since the New 52 launch. The problems with Rotworld continue, with long, arcs that pad themselves out by repeating themselves again and again. It rarely feels like anything has happened in this title. While I think Soule raps some things up a bit to quickly, its kind of ridiculous when what could happen in Swamp Thing in 3 issues and be exciting, instead a 12 issue slog in Animal Man. I had really hoped a different writer would get to take a shot at Animal Man, instead Lemire is just ending it in March.

Bummer.

Side note, having American Vampire's Rafael Albuquerque on art duty for Animal Man has been pretty great. He does a weird thing where he signs his splash pages though.

You're the first person I've heard have a negative thing to say about Lemire's Animal Man run. This has been my first experience with the character but nevertheless I've found this book to get better with each issue and look forward to it usually more than most other things. Same with Lemire's Green Arrow run thus far

Really? Because I've seen a lot of people that thought Rotworld ran one way too long on both sides, and that kind of plotting has only continued. On both sides of the story, Animal Man and Swamp Thing, issues kept building up to things that ultimately didn't matter very much. Swamp Thing especially was bad, with Abby getting transformed into the "Black Queen" in Issue 8, which amounted to nothing as she was back to human form in about an issue, only to be kidnapped. Both Swamp Thing and Animal Man's rotworld plots ultimately amounted to "Save the Princess from the Castle" and it was very tire and unfullfilling by that point.

And then Abby became the Avatar of the rot...which was somehow not the same thing as the Black Queen...
Again that complaint is more Swamp Thing specific but it was mirrored by similar events in Animal Man.

Lemire follows up a plot of someone invading and taking over the Red with yet another protracted plot of someone trying to take over the red.

I'll pull up a link to the interview but even Lemire himself admits its been a problem, reflecting that his storylines were too drawn out in Animal Man and how he plans for shorter arcs in Green Arrow and the Justice League title he is starting.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49690

Essentially, you've told two big stories in "Animal Man" -- the "Rotworld" crossover with Scott Snyder's "Swamp Thing" and the current Brother Blood arc. Do these long-term story arcs allow for a different brand of storytelling and a deeper exploration of character than one-and-done, supervillain of the month stories?

I think it suited this character but it's kind of a double-edged sword. It does really let you get in depth into the different characters of the book and really explore them but at the same time, you run the risk of testing the readers' patience sometimes. If you go too long on things, you don't keep the book fresh. That's a lesson that I learned over the course of "Animal Man." I need to find a bit more balance there. I've applied that to my projects since like "Green Arrow." The arcs are much shorter. There is still a large, overarching story but it's told in much shorter sections with new villains and new characters introduced all of the time to keep it a little bit fresher.

Last edited:
Swamp Thing 28 was pretty good. Its very much a setup issue, setting up a Plant Cult and a run-in with Etrigan/Jason Blood to be specific.

While it was good to finally get some backstory on Capucine, I don't think it was handled the best. It rendered most of this issue as pure exposition that really didn't connect well with the first part of the issue, which included a goddamn Mardis Gras Swamp Thing (!).

Basically Soule needed this issue to do a few different things, and it does each of them well, but they feel a bit odd all in one issue. Overall Capucine is a great character but her introduction has been so protracted that even she comments on how ridiculous it is that every time she tries to explain herself Swamp Thing runs off.

Soule has been pretty great overall and my small qualms aside this issue is no different. His focus on smaller arcs has been greatly enjoyable. In contrast, Animal Man has been stuck with the same writer, Jeff Lemire since the New 52 launch. The problems with Rotworld continue, with long, arcs that pad themselves out by repeating themselves again and again. It rarely feels like anything has happened in this title. While I think Soule raps some things up a bit to quickly, its kind of ridiculous when what could happen in Swamp Thing in 3 issues and be exciting, instead a 12 issue slog in Animal Man. I had really hoped a different writer would get to take a shot at Animal Man, instead Lemire is just ending it in March.

Bummer.

I agree with you, pretty much. Though I kind of liked the Mardi Gras Swamp Thing.

I think my problem with the book is really the tone. I've been going back and collecting alot of the uncollected past issues of Swamp Thing and Soule's run feels alot like the Post-Len Wein, Pre-Alan Moore stuff. Basically, the second half of Volume 1 and the first 19 issues of Vol. 2. Both portions of the series, much like Soule's try to incorporate horror with a more superhero-y vibe to it, as opposed to what came before and what came after. Need I point out that this is what led Vol. 1 to cancellation and would have cancelled Vol. 2 if not for Alan Moore? Let me say however that I'm beyond stoked that this volume of Swamp Thing is lasting beyond 30 issues. No other volume has done that except Vol. 2. Vol. 1 was cancelled at 24. Vol. 3 at 20 and vol. 4 at 29.

I think the success of the character depends, not only on good writing, but telling a bit more in-depth personal stories. I can't imagine that DC wouldn't let Soule push the boundaries just a tiny bit. I'd like to see him try.

Anyways, Soule's true test as a writer is if he can make Etrigan speak in rhyme all of the time and keep it in iambic pentameter. :oldrazz:

As for Animal Man's long arcs, I think it really comes down to the writing and the patience of the reader. Long arcs feel like a chore if you're reading on a month to month basis, but I have to imagine that reading it all it trade format works much better. However, the writing of Animal Man and Swamp Thing up to Rot World did grow tedious. Not good writing at all.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I loved the Mardis Gras Swamp Thing.

This Swamp Thing has mostly been dealing with the internal politics of the green and the challenger they set for him. I'm not sure how that constitutes super hero action at least in comparison to Moore's run which had a lot more of Swamp Thing actually saving people or going out and fighting threats as he was strung along by John Constantine.

I think really the difference in tone remains tied to the fact that this swamp thing really is Alec Holland, rather than Moore's plant who thinks it is Holland. This new Cult of the Serene may offer an interesting wrinkle, but the solicits mention some kind of opportunity for Alec to become human again and it looks like he's going for it. Hopefully when this ultimately fails it can shut the door on that kind of story thread for a while. After Alec as just now established himself as the sole power of the green, not beholden to anyone, I would much rather read about him having to deal with the implications of his actions rather than attempt to become human again.

If the new Constantine show gets picked up by NBC and is heavily influenced by the vertigo Hellblazer run (which its looking like it might be) then I wonder if current Constantine title will reflect that the same way Green Arrow has been influenced by Arrow.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I loved the Mardis Gras Swamp Thing.

This Swamp Thing has mostly been dealing with the internal politics of the green and the challenger they set for him. I'm not sure how that constitutes super hero action at least in comparison to Moore's run which had a lot more of Swamp Thing actually saving people or going out and fighting threats as he was strung along by John Constantine.

I think really the difference in tone remains tied to the fact that this swamp thing really is Alec Holland, rather than Moore's plant who thinks it is Holland. This new Cult of the Serene may offer an interesting wrinkle, but the solicits mention some kind of opportunity for Alec to become human again and it looks like he's going for it. Hopefully when this ultimately fails it can shut the door on that kind of story thread for a while. After Alec as just now established himself as the sole power of the green, not beholden to anyone, I would much rather read about him having to deal with the implications of his actions rather than attempt to become human again.

What I meant by "superhero-y" was that, despite everything going on, it still feels a little light in tone. The difference between this and Moore's run is that Moore's stories have much more weight and a much more personal element to it than Soule's, which, while good, feels typical.

But I agree. I'd like to really get past the "I wanna be human" story and see what Holland can do once he embraces what he is.

Has Soule mentioned at all how long he intends his run to be? Apparently China Mieville was writing a Swamp Thing series for Vertigo because DC put the character back into the proper DCU. It would be interesting if DC gave the book to him after Soule.

From an interview I posted a few pages back Soule is determined to stay on Swamp Thing as long as he can, even clearing a few other things off of his plate in order to keep working on the title.

I read Swamp Thing 29. Alec really can't trust anything associated with the green these days :funny:

Man... I've been trying to drop comics like mad and I come across the entrie Swamp Thing series (New 52) up through the newest issue with the Annuals and Animal Man crossovers at Half Price Books. They were all $1.00-$1.50 each. It was so tempting, but I passed on it. I might go back later if I decide not to drop everything.

^ It'd be worth it to at least pick up everything 19 on as Soule's run has been pretty great.

I liked the new issue. I was a bit iffy on yet another plotline of Alec trying to become human again but Soule has made sure such a thing has consequences. Basically Alec should by now be getting the idea that such indulgences aren't worth the costs. Some interesting wrinkles with this "Sureen" organization.

Animal Man is drawing to a close this month. Still kind of bummed its ending but if it saves the character from yet another "I need to save my daughter!" plot then so be it. Animal man going back on his promise to that alien being should be interesting however.

Is Constantine leaving JLD because it looked like it in the recent issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"