The Avengers Renner Talks Hawkeye, Suit, and Black Widow

Aesop Rocks

Now I'm Free.
Reaction score
We're still a few years away from the premiere of "The Avengers," Marvel's blockbuster superhero team-up movie, but that just means we have more time to whet our appetites for the culmination of Marvel's grand movie plans.

As announced during this year's Comic-Con in San Diego, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Nick Fury, and Hulk won't be the only characters to get the spotlight in the film. Among the new additions to the cast is "The Hurt Locker" star Jeremy Renner, who'll play the team's hotshot marksman, Hawkeye. MTV News caught up with Renner during the press junket for his new film "The Town," and asked him whether we'll see him don Hawkeye's classic purple costume for the film, or whether we'll get a more "Ultimates"-style take on the character.

"I think it's going to be a little more reality-based," said Renner. "You can kind of tell with Scarlett [Johansson]'s character [in 'Iron Man 2'], it's going to be more of a uniform . . . and not a big purple, comics sort of thing."

According to Renner, it's that decision to stray from the classic look that's helped the Marvel movies connect with mainstream audiences.

"That's why I think it's more palatable to audiences — there's almost a sense of reality to these superheroes," he explained. "That's what makes it interesting to me, anyway."

Asked whether Hawkeye and Black Widow will end up romantically involved in the movie as they occasionally have in the comics world, Renner indicated that it was a possibility — but the pair will start off as teammates. Given that hint, it's likely that Hawkeye could be part of Nick Fury's S.H.I.E.L.D. team a la "The Ultimates," but nothing is certain at this point.

"We will [have a relationship], I think, in this one as well," said Renner. "We're kind of a team, and what that relationship is, is still to be discovered."

SOURCE

You know? I really don't mind them going an Ultimate-route with the suit anymore, I'm just glad we got Renner as Hawkeye. :yay:

*waits for **** storm to happen over the suit not being purple*

Glad its not purple. It would look to fake

I just wonder if he'll have some sort of mask or not. I doubt it though.

Thank gosh it won't be purple. Outside of the comics, any real person would look absolutely ridiculous wearing that suit.

The way he spoke about the costume and Black Widow leads me to believe that the guesses about Hawkeye being a SHIELD agent might be true. Hopefully his costume will deviate slightly from BW's, if only to show some of the comicbook influences. I'm not saying a huge, horned-rimmed mask, but some some dark purple/blue trim to not only give a nod to the comics, but to give the costume a slightly more stealthy and sleek feel to it.

I want the Avengers to have matching costumes! Like X-Men! :awesome:

reality or not

the purple was stupid, glad theyre getting rid of it

HJR.jpg

it doesnt?

It might stand for Argentina, actually. I think that's where Cap got the custom suit from, and they refuse to just put a simple tag on the inside, because they want everyone to know where the craftsmanship came from.

I really didn't expect them to keep the purple suit from the comics. So that doesn't bother me...but I do wonder what it will look like.

I've been saying from the start they wouldn't be going with something along the lines of the 616 costume. I don't think a purple outfit from the 60s would be something a modern interpretation of Hawkeye would wear anyway. Especially since the movie-verse isn't overrun with superheroes.

I hope they go with something along the lines of his Ultimate costumes. I think they would look good in live action.

440px-Ult_Hawkeye-1.jpg

344354-111768-hawkeye_super-1.jpg

First, the movieverse is overrun with superheroes, since there's nothing to suggest that all of Marvel's stable isn't running about somewhere out there.

Second, a dark purple with a smaller, less over-the-top mask would fit with what they're doing with the other costumes, which despite what whoever told Renner the opposite said, is what the Marvel movies are doing. (Let alone the fact that the biggest thing allowing Iron Man to connect with mainstream audiences was RDJ, not some misconceived realism.)

Third, and lastly, I'm not happy with Hawkeye being in this movie as it is, and I'm not happy about the not so unexpected news that he wouldn't be wearing his classic costume, but despite these, I still plan on seeing the movie. However, if that dumbass, Image-looking, piece of crap, sorry excuse for a costume in the post above even hints its way onto the screen, I refuse to even consider seeing this, which would be a shame.

As long as he acts like 616 Clint & not Ultimate Punisher... I mean Hawkeye, I'm fine.

Though, the costume better have some purple on it. Just not the classic design. Maybe he wears a purple cap or something.

Last edited:
I never thought making a character all purple was terribly inventive to begin with. Still, I would like it if they incorporated the color in some way. He doesn't need to be head to toe in black.

His purple costume from the comics would look too ridiculous on screen. I'm ok with it being more militarized ala Batman Begins. So long as it has purple.

So far they haven't disappointed with Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow, Thor and Cap, I really doubt they'll screw up Clint.

Third, and lastly, I'm not happy with Hawkeye being in this movie as it is, and I'm not happy about the not so unexpected news that he wouldn't be wearing his classic costume, but despite these, I still plan on seeing the movie. However, if that dumbass, Image-looking, piece of crap, sorry excuse for a costume in the post above even hints its way onto the screen, I refuse to even consider seeing this, which would be a shame.

I think you better prepare to be disappointed.

Ultimates outfit is garbage from the neck up. Everything else looks about how it would in live action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"