Resistance 2 Thread: 2.0

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
Please use this thread to discuss Resistance 2.

Originally posted by Zenien

The Newest Game Informer has it, apparently it looks amazing.

The game will have a huge 8 player co-op campaign as well as single player.
The matches will consist of totally lag free 60 person multiplayer with huge United States based environments as the backdrop.

"In short it's a tour de force" of the PS3"

Narrative will follow Nathan Hale, his plane is shot down over Iceland adnd joins a (United States?) based Sentinel program.

Fall 2008
'Chamelon' Chimeras can make themselves entirely invisible

Insomniac is out to prove that Boss Battle can work in an FPS

8 Player online Co-Op, 2 player local

Classses are a big thing (for online?), Tanks will specialize in heavy infantry, Special Ops will get specialmodifiers to certain weapons, Medic

For Multiplayer, online matchmaking (I think this is what he means) has been replaced with scalled team difficulty (What?)

Levels will be partially randomized

Up to 60 players online multiplayer

Players will be logged into smaller 4-8 man squads who will be tasked with a specific objective on the battlefield, Teamwork and communication are important, level design is being carefully worked on to make everything flow and make the player feel as though they are in the middle of a huge conflict, and work within the arena of larger combat.

THe game will use servers to deliver a faster online experience than any game of 2007. All of your stats will also be recorded on your personal homepage on myressistance.net, social networking features, full clan and party system support

Aiming to have sound quality mathch that of mobile phones (what?)

Graphics are hugely improved over the original. More enemies on creen, more detailed textures, more normal mapping, textures will maintin detail no matter how close you are

AI will scale dynamically on the fly to players viewpoints and position (IE CHimera that are close to you will dysplay much more adaptive AI than ones who are far away) Chimera asa whole are sneakier and smarter than they were in the original

Edit, nevermind...can't do that without deleting the thread :csad:

This will be a better game than Killzone 2. In all honesty, Insomniac should be given development control of Killzone 3 and then Guerrilla can just go make PSN Store games. Resistance is a pretty lame IP, Killzone as a property has more potential. But in terms of developer skill, it's mismatched.

This will be a better game than Killzone 2. In all honesty, Insomniac should be given development control of Killzone 3 and then Guerrilla can just go make PSN Store games. Resistance is a pretty lame IP, Killzone as a property has more potential. But in terms of developer skill, it's mismatched.
What makes Killzone a better IP? Killzone has alot to prove as the last game got alot of negative flack. It isnt highly regarded anywhere, although people are hoping the sequel will redeem it, which is yet to be seen. On the other hand, Resistance was very well received and alot of good buzz surrounds the series. Its more popular than Killzone for good reason. It did ALOT better in sales and it would be dumb to abandon it in favor of Killzone

What makes Killzone a better IP? Killzone has alot to prove as the last game got alot of negative flack. It isnt highly regarded anywhere, although people are hoping the sequel will redeem it, which is yet to be seen. On the other hand, Resistance was very well received and alot of good buzz surrounds the series. Its more popular than Killzone for good reason. It did ALOT better in sales and it would be dumb to abandon it in favor of Killzone

The story in Killzone could be iconic with the right writers. Remember the intro to the first game? Magnificent.

More Resistance 2 Info: Some Rumours Put to Rest

The big reveal of Resistance 2 was a sight to behold on the forums. “Shock and Awe” might be an appropriate catch phrase, though that may be copyrighted for another invasion.

In all the commotion some details were lost in a web of forum excitement. Insomniac enlighten us on some misconceptions, in addition to letting us in on some new nuggets of information.

Firstly, Insomniac’s recent Full Moon Show podcast lets us in on how much progress has been made on Resistance 2. The 8 player online co-op mode is coming on nicely, where they are making it as fun and feature full as possible before they pretty up the visuals.

Described as “freaking awesome”, with enemies on all sides in the co-op creates a sense of chaos, with cooperation the key to succeeding in this visceral, always on edge gameplay.

As for the single player, you’ll be amazed to know that so soon after thee completion of their second PS3 game (Ratchet and Clank Future), Insomniac have roughly completed all of the levels in Resistance 2’s single player campaign. That is, the campaign’s outline is finished, with the next step being tuning and moulding the levels to form the game.

It’s also divulged that the quality and success of Resistance 2 can be measured by the amount of ideas and content they’ve already cut from the game, to make sure only the very special content is left. This contrasts to a typical developer view of “we’ll make it work before the time is up”. Think of Insomniac’s method as picking out the weak plants in your cabbage patch to ensure you achieve the best crop.

Now onto dispelling some of the misconceptions that arose from the exclusive Game Informer article. A new enemy was revealed in the text - the Chameleon. Described as an enemy that stalks its prey, many presumed that it was an upgraded Stalker shown in the new screenshots. This is not the case. The screenshot was of the redesigned Stalker. The Chameleon is not a vehicle, but a living creature that stalks its prey.

Secondly, the “random level generation” mentioned is only for co-op levels, and not for the tightly designed single player campaign. Furthermore, the co-op levels will not be procedurally generated, but their diversity, variety and set-up will change.

Lastly, new soldier classes were mentioned to be part of the competitive multiplayer. This is also untrue. These different classes have only been confirmed for the 8 player online co-op, and not the online 60 player multiplayer.

With three misconceptions put to rest, we can end with a final piece of positive news. Resistance: Fall of Man was criticised as not looking that spectacular up close, especially when compared to the high-res textures of Gears of War. However, with the addition of texture streaming, advanced shaders and normal maps - Resistance 2 will look much better up close than it’s predecessor

http://www.n4g.com/ClickOut.aspx?ObjID=101222

NICE, THANKS KAL, GREAT STUFF AND THANKS MATT FOR OPENING UP A NEW THREAD, IT'S A DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT!!!;):D:D:D:up:

Resistance was fashioned by god himself, and in his own image, bow down and submit to his perfect creation, as it leads us all to the promised land.

Honestly I think both Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 will be very good games for different reasons, and they're both going to be focusing on different aspects of the shooter genre, but anyway, someone should repost the scans.

Has a release date been announced?

Resistance was fashioned by god himself, and in his own image, bow down and submit to his perfect creation, as it leads us all to the promised land.

Honestly I think both Resistance 2 and Killzone 2 will be very good games for different reasons, and they're both going to be focusing on different aspects of the shooter genre, but anyway, someone should repost the scans.

Has a release date been announced?

OH NO, THE SHE DEVIL IS BACK,:eek: JK ZEN,:D WELCOME BACK!!!:D:up:

Sorry for getting the first thread closed guys. I didn't handle the situation with Fenrir and Exteo as well as I should have, and at the end of the day it takes 2 (well in this case 3) to argue.

But anyway, yeah, Resistance 2, gonna rock. I think after the dust has settled and we've seen a little bit more of each, a "if you could only get 1 (KZ2 or R2) which would you get" would be eally interesting topic (somehow I think R2 might win out around here ;))

RESISTANCE 2! NO CONTEST!!!! :O

Anyways glad to have you back Zenien, if it was my thread though it wouldn't have gotten locked! :cmad:

But then again we didn't have a badass moderator to defend us against ignorant Xbots. :)

Thanks for all of the info Zen, i'm trying really hard not to read it though. I want this game to be 100% a surprise!

Do you guys think I can do it?

Closing the old thread and making a new thread was the most pointless action ever taken by a mod.

Anyways glad to have you back Zenien, if it was my thread though it wouldn't have gotten locked! :cmad:

But then again we didn't have a badass moderator to defend us against ignorant Xbots. :)

Thanks for all of the info Zen, i'm trying really hard not to read it though. I want this game to be 100% a surprise!

HALE DIES.

(No.)

"I'm ready for the wind to fan the flames... Ignite this today..."

Better to keep that in the past.

Banning someone from posting on a silly Internet forum has nothing to do with being a "badass" :dry:

My IQ drops when I read doodoo like that...but it's not dangerously low yet :(

블라스;13860446 said:
Banning someone from posting on a silly Internet forum has nothing to do with being a "badass" :dry:

My IQ drops when I read doodoo like that...but it's not dangerously low yet :(

It is all right, Blas. He is young and impressionable. :cwink:

So, yeah, I got my GI today with the Resistance 2 cover story... The screenshots seem to be inconsistent. The larger, full page screenshots tend to be more jaggy and make the difference seem much less night-and-day. The best looking ones, of course, are the ones reduced down to a 300x200 rectangle. Regardless, they all look good.

For those of you without acess to the magazine

7wpb29i.jpg

8a2qkbq.jpg

8br4bcm.jpg

6tekd9d.jpg

6u8nac8.jpg

8g8c5xl.jpg

6ycekr9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"