Respect for Captain America

Discussion in 'Captain America World' started by Team Andino, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Punisher RULES Live Simple

I began reading Cap after hearing nothing but good things about Ed Brubaker's series so I took something of a chance and bought the Omnibus with the first 25 issues and let me tell you, at first I thought it was nothing but a lot of hot air but a few issues in, it just sky rockets into being sublime. I can't believe how consistently good this series is and I'm currently reading the third trade (The Man Who Bought America) and it's just great comics. It's so damn solid that it could truly be enjoyed by even the most cynical reader and man I just love it. Grade A stuff, man.

2. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

Yep its currently one of my fav bookd alongside Deadpool,X-Force,Cable and New Avengers.

3. FVD Launder the Conscience

Admittedly I started buying comics from the Civil War arc and have wanted to purchase all the issues surrounding the Civil War as well. Still haven't completed the collection sad to say. Once I learned of Cap's death I had to read more. And recently I purchased Brubaker's run from the beginning leading up to the death of Steve Rogers. Loving Brubaker's run in a big way. I've yet to read about Bucky taking up the mantle though. Starting #29 pretty soon.

4. jms Registered

I just posted a thread about Captain America on my Defenders Fansite blog at www.defendersfan.blogspot.com

It's interesting reading how different writers have approached Cap's sense of values.

5. WH0311 Registered

CAP emoticons would be awesome!

#30 WH0311, May 15, 2009
    Last edited by moderator Hunter Rider: May 15, 2009
  6. Team Andino The Paragon of Virtue

I think once Terminator has been out for awhile I might have to find myself a good Captain America avatar!!

7. louiebling$ Just Chucking with you

Yea once i get off my Ninja Turtle Hype i will return to my Avengers avvy which has an awesome pic of Cap :)

8. KatarHol Registered

Cap has had a HUGE influence on me. When i was an highly impressionable youth,i remember when he showed up in a issue of Uncanny X-men,and when Logan offers to buy him a drink,Steve says "I don't drink". It's odd,but something about that panel stuck like glue,and to this day,at 31 years of age,i have yet to have a drink. I'm not opposed to it,i don't mind my friends or wife drinking anything,but i just liked that he was kinda of an odd duck in Logan's world by not drinking. Logan brought him water because he knew the answer before he asked it BTW.
    2nd thing,that Kevin Maguire mini-series. When Steve is trying out with other soldiers to become Cap,and they have a foot race. Steve trips right out of the gate and falls flat,but he gets up and completes the race,knowing that he has no chance in hell to win. The Officers giving the test kinda write him off,but the Colonel says.."But he finished",and the other guy asks if it matters,"more than you know" says the Colonel. Another panel that pops up whenever anything in life gets challenging.
    Finally,the best and my favorite description of any superhero,by Frank Miller from Daredevil Born Again......"A soldier with a voice that could command a God"
    Cap's maybe 2-4 pages in Born Again is,IMO,the greatest Cap ever.

9. Aesop Rocks Now I'm Free.

Captain America inspired me to TRY to be him, in real life.

He's coming back by the way, July 1st 2009 Captain America: Reborn.

10. Czar Colossus Registered

My favorite heroes have always been those of Cap's ilk (truly representing the heroic ideal).
    -Cap
    -Superman
    -Captain Marvel (SHAZAM)
    -Colossus
    -Spider-man
    -Wonder Woman
    -Green Lantern
    to name few

11. Styleshift Airman

Anyone got any Cap recommendations? (Steve Rogers)
    .........He hasn't stuck out to me, well. ever.

He always seemed kinda generic and lately I've been trying to get into the title.

12. Czar Colossus Registered

Go get all the trades of the current series, Civil War tpb and Fallen Son tpb. That should get you on track. I would have suggested the Captain America dvd-rom, but I just checked Amazon and the the prices are out of control. I got one for $30 when it came out and they retailed for $50. They're supposed to do Daredevil and Thor, but I haven't heard anything. It's a great way to get over 40 yrs of comics in one shot for what was a great price.

13. Styleshift Airman

Thank you sooooo much. I just kind of gave up on checking this thread since no one really answered.

I picked up the Captain America and Avengers DVD roms for 30 bucks each at the BX/PX. :yay:
    I've got 40 years of Spidey, FF & Silver surfer, Ghost Rider, Hulk, and X-men.

Greatly looking forward to seeing what all the hype about Cap is about. I've known people that loved the character even before the death and now I can finally see what all the buzz is about. :yay:

I think Marvel took back the rights from "GITCORP". too bad. these DVDs are amazing.

I really would have loved to add DD to my collection. It's in my top 3 of favorite titles.

#38 Styleshift, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  14. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

haveyou read the paperback cap novel liberty's torch?

15. Styleshift Airman

No sir. I haven't read any Cap titles.
    Other than the "new avengers" vol 1. hardcover, The captain america 90s movie, and both his appearances in x-men and Spider-man cartoons (90s)

I know absolutely NOTHING about Captain America. :csad:

16. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

you can find liberty's torch on ebay or amazon.com

17. Styleshift Airman

Thanks man.
    I've started reading a couple of Cap stories....

and I have to say I am really really diggin the character.
    He's alot more interesting than I thought he would be.

He's like the perfect mix of Batman and Superman. :D

18. Styleshift Airman

I just saw the "Utimate Avengers" movies on DVD.
    So I'm not sure if it really counts seeing as it's kind of an elseworlds tale.

I loved the portrayal of Cap in it though. It really made me care about the character.

I think too many writers try to write him as a "bigger than life" character without really letting the reader know why all the other heroes respect and/or look up to him.

When he stood up to the Hulk on the movie it was amazing. It's the scene that got me really interested. Plus the fact that alot of his friends were old and gray and he was still young. :D

19. TheWrathOfGod Registered

Am I the only one who wants a DVD release of Albert Pyun's 1991 Captain America?

20. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

nope i'd buy a copy

21. Czar Colossus Registered

I downloaded it onto my PSP, it's a keeper. The Reb Brown stuff is really hard to watch though.

22. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

universal did the best they could for a tv sries pilot

23. sdn Registered

I am a big Captain America fan. To me, he represents not only the mission of America, but of humanity. That mission being freedom from oppression and tyranny. He's someone I wish I were more like! Ironically, I usually end up more like Tony Stark - pragmatic and chasing booze, women, and money.

:hehe:

24. KatarHol Registered

I feel if i was a superhero,i'd sadly veer towards the Rhorsach or Punisher type rather than Cap or Superman which i'd hope i'd be like. Maybe i could split the diffence and be like Daredevil.

25. BlackLantern Registered

just read #601 really loved the vampire story...Ive always liked Cap because he does command respect from pretty much every hero and its not like he does anything special for that, in his eyes he's just a man doing the right thing....he stood up to Thanos for ****s sake