RESPECT the CYCLOPS Thread!

Personally I like Logan's recent progressions

I'll repeat it over and over:
Uncanny X-Force (now into Uncanny Avengers)
Wolverine
Wolverine and the X-Men

If you don't read those, you haven't actually read any Wolverine stories in years
..and you have no ground to criticize the character

Will some people dislike that he's no longer the surly, amnesiac, murderer he once was? I'm sure
But I like where they're taking him

Cyclops, however, has been pretty mishandled since I'd say Fraction

Cyclops has been mishandled since Morrison, save for when Whedon wrote him. Everyone else, I feel, have just ran with what Morrison did and made it worse.

Cyclops has been mishandled since Morrison, save for when Whedon wrote him. Everyone else, I feel, have just ran with what Morrison did and made it worse.
I think most except Gillen. His Scott in Uncanny this past year has been the best Scott in ages

Personally I like Logan's recent progressions

I'll repeat it over and over:
Uncanny X-Force (now into Uncanny Avengers)
Wolverine
Wolverine and the X-Men

If you don't read those, you haven't actually read any Wolverine stories in years
..and you have no ground to criticize the character

Will some people dislike that he's no longer the surly, amnesiac, murderer he once was? I'm sure
But I like where they're taking him

Cyclops, however, has been pretty mishandled since I'd say Fraction

* well, if you're reading X-Force, you should know that he's still a murderer... and that's hypocrisy, my friend...

I want Wolverine's role in Uncanny X-force to come out in a big public way. I wonder how Cap A and the Avengers handle that PR disaster

* well, if you're reading X-Force, you should know that he's still a murderer... and that's hypocrisy, my friend...

Yeah, except the, ya know, whole point of the book.. about their actions having consequences?.. questioning their own methods?... little character development, hm?... moving the hero from one place to another, fully realized character arc??.. little emotional progression???
</stewie-mocking-voice>

Sorry
But yeah,
The point is, he can hardly be called some unrepentant murderer anymore
Besides, ya gotta let the story finish
He's gunna be very different going into UA
(well, as long as you ignore Bendis or any other hack who may write the character between now and then)

Last edited:
I think most except Gillen. His Scott in Uncanny this past year has been the best Scott in ages

See, I'd agree if not for the most recent issue. He wrote one scene with Scott that, in my opinion, trumps all the other bad Scott writers since Morrison... worse than Morrison. The very fact that Gillen had Scott confirm that Xavier's death and the death's of innocent people as a result of his Dark Phoenix trip was worth it due to the mutant race repopulating just killed it for me. The fact that he'd accept innocent deaths to reach his goal and then celebrate ("X" arms) is the worst portrayal of Scott that I've ever seen.

So no, Gillen officially goes down as having the worst portrayal of Scott... ever. Morrison would likely be second in my book, progressive bad writing regarding Scott, but Gillen topped him with one single scene.

Now, that said, his run has been fantastic, and his Scott was good prior to that, but that one issue will forever taint what had previously been a great run.

See, I'd agree if not for the most recent issue. He wrote one scene with Scott that, in my opinion, trumps all the other bad Scott writers since Morrison... worse than Morrison. The very fact that Gillen had Scott confirm that Xavier's death and the death's of innocent people as a result of his Dark Phoenix trip was worth it due to the mutant race repopulating just killed it for me. The fact that he'd accept innocent deaths to reach his goal and then celebrate ("X" arms) is the worst portrayal of Scott that I've ever seen.

So no, Gillen officially goes down as having the worst portrayal of Scott... ever. Morrison would likely be second in my book, progressive bad writing regarding Scott, but Gillen topped him with one single scene.

Now, that said, his run has been fantastic, and his Scott was good prior to that, but that one issue will forever taint what had previously been a great run.
see I took it differently. I think he was happy that after all that happened in AvX, none of that was done for nothing. To him it would be worse if they did all that fighting, the Phoenix corrupt him and the last few years waiting for Hope and then training her all amounted to nothing but destruction and pain. He didnt light up till he found out the mutant race was reignited bc that made it all worth it as there was hope at the end of the dark tunnel. He sacrificed himself and became a martyr for the greater good and thats something he accepted and owns. I really dont think that final scene invalidates his run

See, that I would get, but that's not what was on the panel. He said he'd do it all over again. THAT is what killed the entire thing for me. Not that there was good at the end of the dark tunnel, but that all the death was worth it and worth doing again to get the mutants back. Very different thing.

Dude, Cyclops has been an irredeemable ******* since he cheated on Jean Grey and then made out with Emma Frost on top of her fresh grave.

Wait, don't forget when he left Madelyne, and baby Cable, up in Alaska without even a goodbye, the moment he found out Jean was still alive.

Wait, don't forget when he left Madelyne, and baby Cable, up in Alaska without even a goodbye, the moment he found out Jean was still alive.

I'll never understand how the guys running Marvel at that time thought that was a good idea. That has to rank up there with Spider-Man's Clone Saga & the Rape of Ms. Marvel as being among the worst ideas to ever come out of Marvel.

2012-10-21_cc_233.gif

I think Marvel has accepted and gone on the assumption that Cyclops is a huuuge d**k for many years
It's just the Cyclops fans who refuse to accept it, and then ask why he's being written as such a d**k.

He is a dick. And I like him more than ever now. He now has a status of a revolutionary X-man, who won't play by the dominant species' rules.

Wolverine is a wayyyy bigger dick. So how is he so much more popular?

Because he's the torn, war-weary d*ck
Cyclops is more the unrepentant-i-was-right-nananabooboo-type
Wolverine knows that's his burden, whereas Cyke likes spreading the dickishness around to his teammates

Current Cyclops rocks. Screw everyone else. I love how he completely owns who he is and isnt tripping over himself trying to throw blame or make excuses for himself

I think Marvel has accepted and gone on the assumption that Cyclops is a huuuge d**k for many years
It's just the Cyclops fans who refuse to accept it, and then ask why he's being written as such a d**k.
Yeah, but there's still a definite change in his characterization. He used to be a d*** because he was a socially inept, workaholic nerd with a horribly dysfunctional love-life. Now, he's a ruthless anti-hero who has lost most of his former idealism. I don't mind the change. I think it's done in a fairly believable way and it works for the character. After all, Cyclops as a character has always been about burden of leadership. Seeing him do questionable things to protect the people he cares about plays right into that theme.

Last edited:
Current Cyclops rocks. Screw everyone else. I love how he completely owns who he is and isnt tripping over himself trying to throw blame or make excuses for himself
I'm very interested in where they are taking him, and quite frankly I'm looking forward to seeing him own an entire prison worth of people, which seems likely.

I'm very interested in where they are taking him, and quite frankly I'm looking forward to seeing him own an entire prison worth of people, which seems likely.
Now would be the perfect time for a Cyclops solo

I'd buy it. I really really like this Cyclops. screw all the Marvel fanboys who don't understand the character and only knew of him as the guy that supposedly led the team that Wolverine was the mascot for and c_ckblocked him from getting with Jean Grey.

Certainly seems that way. I think they certainly have given him a little edge.

Honestly overall my problem with AvX really was more that they cheapened Jean's intimate connection to the Phoenix (again). Before it seemed more like Jean was potentially this Omega-Level mutant whose powers spiraled out of control. Now anyone can simply catch a case of the Phoenix.

I'd buy it. I really really like this Cyclops. screw all the Marvel fanboys who don't understand the character and only knew of him as the guy that supposedly led the team that Wolverine was the mascot for and c_ckblocked him from getting with Jean Grey.
I don't really think they bastardized his character too much, given the circumstances. They've tried pretty hard to make sure everyone understands he's not a hero turned bad like Sentry or even Iron Man. They're much more treating it as temporary insanity.

If anything it's Wolverine who is becoming bland and acting out of character.

To be perfectly honest I was expecting one post AvX. I thought it was a given and was fairly surprised that one wasn't announced.

Sadly, this is the first time in the 19 years of my buying X-Men that I would possibly pass on it. I've wanted a Cyclops solo series since I was a kid but I'm not a fan of the Cyclops he's become. I just don't think I'd like it.

I dont give a **** how many people marvel throws in front of Scott to tell him how wrong he was, if they are all going to get behind Logan who has the tendancy to be put under others control and go on killing sprees as well as running a assassination sqaud or Scott who has lead the X-men in saving the world and mutantkind countless times much to the sacrfice of friends and family, they are misguided idiots . By the way Scotts plan turned out to be the right one while the new leader of the X-Men Logan was trying to MURDER A TEENAGE GIRL. How is it he has the moral ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"