Return of the Joker

Spidey17

Sidekick
Reaction score
Holy ****, I just saw this movie for the first time, and it was crazy. I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it.

Personally I thought it was great, but I actually felt sick during the Joker-Robin scene. When I expressed my horror in a comment, I noticed someone mentioned if that was bad that peeople should read the Killing Joke. Is it even more sadistic?

he's talking about batman beyond: return of the joker.

i agree it was good and quite disturbing.

It's terrific.

Definitely the darkest story the animated Joker ever had.

If you didn't see the uncut version, do so. Now.

I loved it as it gave me a conclusion to the ultimate battle between the two, Batman vs the Joker, it tied things up, and left it on a good note in the DCAU.

Return of the Joker & Mask of the Phantasm are my favourite animated Batman movies. I just love Mark Hamill's Joker. ROTJ was great, although a little darker & probably not for the younger ones. I'll admit that Tim Drake's transformation into J.J. is one of the creepiest things I've ever seen. But I love that it gave the Joker story closure & reveals what happened in his final confrontation with Batman. Altogether, an awesome movie, especially the uncut version!

Holy ****, I just saw this movie for the first time, and it was crazy. I was just wondering what everyone else thought of it.

Personally I thought it was great, but I actually felt sick during the Joker-Robin scene. When I expressed my horror in a comment, I noticed someone mentioned if that was bad that peeople should read the Killing Joke. Is it even more sadistic?

This one of those movies that does not get old for me and that I can recite the quotes while the movie is playing. I love how dark it is, especially with the flashback. And i appreciate all the loose ends they tie up (IE: why no Joker in the future, why Bruce has a cane, etc.)
and to answer your question, Killing Joke is in the top 3 for darkest Joker stories. If you think RotJ was dark, you definitely need to read about how Joker crippled Barbara Gordon as a means to prove a point in Killing Joke. And that's jsut ONE example of it's darkness. There is so much more to it :)

The flashback scene is the only reason to watch this film. It's fantastic. The animation is very smooth but also very dark, bringing us back to the likes of Mask of the Phantasm. Yeah Joker is pretty sadistic in this segment as well, but it gives a good conclusion to the BTAS Batman vs Joker conflict. I also think this is the best Jokers ever looked in cartoons being sort of an amalgamation of the BTAS and TNBA and Justice League looks.

This one of those movies that does not get old for me and that I can recite the quotes while the movie is playing. I love how dark it is, especially with the flashback. And i appreciate all the loose ends they tie up (IE: why no Joker in the future, why Bruce has a cane, etc.)
and to answer your question, Killing Joke is in the top 3 for darkest Joker stories. If you think RotJ was dark, you definitely need to read about how Joker crippled Barbara Gordon as a means to prove a point in Killing Joke. And that's jsut ONE example of it's darkness. There is so much more to it :)

****.. I think I have read it. Can't remember much, but SPOILERS

doesn't Gordon save Joker when Batman goes nuts over what he did to Barbara?

http://kane52630.tumblr.com/post/159255450064/whats-the-matter-batman-no-witty-comeback-no

tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo1_400.gif
tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo2_400.gif

tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo3_400.gif
tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo4_400.gif

tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo5_400.gif
tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo7_400.gif

tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo6_400.gif
tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo8_400.gif

tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo9_400.gif
tumblr_onz41ujg4v1rrkahjo10_400.gif

Amazing movie.

I remember as a kid watching this in 2002 on cartoon network, blew me away and scared me. The flashback scene in particular haunted me for weeks.

This movie along with Mask of the Phantasm showed what the DCAU Joker was like when you let him off of the "children's cartoon" leash.

A little trivia- BB:ROTJ looks so great because it was animated at Tokyo Movie Shinsha (TMS), the greatest overseas animation studio for television. They only worked on a handful of episodes of the original Batman:The Animated Series because they opted for Steven Spielderg's 'Animaniacs' (Bruce Timm said at the time that 'everybody gets lured by Spielberg'), but the shows they produced are the most beautiful of the series (including the incredible 'Feat of Clay, part II').

They did more work on Superman and New Bat Adventures (like the beautiful 'Over the Edge'), and their stuff always stands out as the most gorgeous in the history of DC cartoons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"