Rey's parentage poll and discussion

I wish it was a multiple choice poll. Ultimately I went with Kenobi. If she has to be someone, that's who's line I hope she would come from. My other choice is a random. Her being the child of Luke or Han is so boring.

Surely going to be one of those top 3 in the poll.

I'm still leaning towards the idea that she's some kind of Force clone/reincarnation of Anakin and/or Luke and/or some other significant Force user in the past. There have been quite a few leaks suggesting that. Pure speculation, but I could even see her just being "created" out of thin air through The Force, sort of like how Anakin only had a mother, but in this case Rey wouldn't have parents at all.

My hope is that she's simply the daughter of Luke and some yet-unknown mother. It would really bug me if the central character of each trilogy wasn't of the same family. I honesty hope she's not just some random person.

I did have another theory a while back...

View attachment Family Tree.jpg

For a while I was convinced that this was the answer, but the more I think about it, the more I think it's not. It would be kind of convoluted to explain to the audience. Still, I actually wouldn't mind it.

Saga wise? The correct answer was always that she was the last daughter of one Anakin Skywalker and sister to Luke. Getting there would have been fun.. but hey.. that's writing.

Business wise? Disney was like... if we go with a random snowflake, then we can do these trilogies for for-ever! Random hero means anybody can be one.

And Lucas was like.. no thanks.. you guys are white slavers. You never wondered why he said that? The randomness of Rey is almost certainly why. I'm fairly confident in saying that is the last answer he ever would have gone with, and probably one of the main reasons he left, and can you really blame him?

His first answer? That she was Luke's sister. He just didn't know how to make that happen.

The Kenobi theories were ridiculous and made no sense.

The Kenobi theories were ridiculous and made no sense.

Agreed. This is for people that don't want her to be a Skywalker, while still tying her to someone, anyone in the Saga. I'm sure it could have been done... but just.. weak.

I wasn't much for Luke being her father because it was always the simplest solution, and caused serious narrative problems. Luke would always get the credit for any success, and she would get the blame for any failure.

The absolute worst was the one they went with. An answer for people who *HATE* Star Wars. #sarcasm Oh... she's a random! Screw the Skywalkers… never liked them much anyways! She'll SAVE them... ISNT THAT SOOOOO COOL? What a hero!

Sadly... one of those haters of Star Wars was one Rian Johnson.

Saga wise? The correct answer was always that she was the last daughter of one Anakin Skywalker and sister to Luke. Getting there would have been fun.. but hey.. that's writing.

Business wise? Disney was like... if we go with a random snowflake, then we can do these trilogies for for-ever! Random hero means anybody can be one.

And Lucas was like.. no thanks.. you guys are white slavers. You never wondered why he said that? The randomness of Rey is almost certainly why. I'm fairly confident in saying that is the last answer he ever would have gone with, and probably one of the main reasons he left, and can you really blame him?

His first answer? That she was Luke's sister. He just didn't know how to make that happen.

Are you saying that Rey should have been Anakin's daughter? That would make her roughly the same age as Luke and Leia. Older actually, because she's have to be born before the events of ROTS.

It's kind of interesting to look at the various theories in hindsight. I still think the Obi-Wan theory is interesting, but I can see why it wasn't plausible. I always figured she wasn't Han's child, that was never something I seriously considered. The Palpatine theory was just nonsense. I still think the best option was Luke's daughter.

Are you saying that Rey should have been Anakin's daughter? That would make her roughly the same age as Luke and Leia. Older actually, because she's have to be born before the events of ROTS.

She was born 10 years after he died. Chew on that.

Your spurious assumption here is natural procreation and birth, in a movie series which features a lot of unnatural procreation and birth woven into its plot. You'd simply introduce a third means that doesn't involve(as these roads have been travelled) a) Immaculate Conception(I still laugh at that per Anakin, but it is what it is) or b) Cloning(the Fetts, the Clonetroopers, the Clone Wars, etc).

As a bonus... its well-understood Medical Science here on Earth and has been for decades. Shouldn't even be a question 'a long time ago' in a galaxy with far better tech than we have now.

I've always in favour of Rey random.

Rey Random all the way. Making her the super special daughter of an existing character is pure fanwank and diminishes her character.

Rey Random all the way. Making her the super special daughter of an existing character is pure fanwank and diminishes her character.

Did it diminish Jon Snow to be revealed
as the secret nephew of Daenarys Targaryen
?

Welcome to Epic Sci-fi/fantasy. If this is your first time here.. watch Game of Thrones... Lost... Star Wars or any number of stories that feature.. wait for it...
epic unexpected family connections
as part of the plot.

Its like you're saying they should make Space-based Sci-fi... just don't set it in Space. :whatever:

I actually find it far more insulting to the character that she isn't considered good enough to be a Skywalker. But apparently she's good enough to fix what they broke? Makes zero sense given this is a Family Saga.

Why not have John McClane be a Circus Clown? I mean.. i'm sure you could. But its not the brightest idea in the world.

When you have epic family sagas, unexpected family connections is sort of a prerequisite. Even Lucas realized this as he had two of the most epic family reveals ever. And if you can't do that, and go there, don't be the one to write or direct an episode of the story because its just not your speed. And if you don't like that type of story, why watch Star Wars?

And I'm sure the decrepit hero lamenting a past mistake that hides himself away before ultimately committing suicide would make a great indie... but as a Star Wars Story and the end result of everyone's favorite galactic hero? Jesus.

Last edited:
You why the twist was great? It was unexpected. The family twist was already tired when RotJ rolled around.

You why the twist was great? It was unexpected. The family twist was already tired when RotJ rolled around.

That's the story. Its a Family Saga set against the backdrop of the fall and rise of an entire galaxy. A nuclear family does not a Family Saga make. That's a Family STORY. The entire point of a Family SAGA is that bad things happen to said family, the family goes through bad place, people you don't expect are connected to that family because of the Bad Things, and all that fun stuff. The Saga label gives you license to go crazy with the family(and boy have they). Its pretty much required.

If you don't like that type of story, why watch? If you don't like that story, you fundamentally.. at your root.. do not actually like Star Wars.

You like space ships and random Empires from long ago and pew pew space battles that mean nothing, as if you were crashing toys together when you were 5. Guess what, man, that stuff don't sell in the amount needed to make big budget movies. You got your cinematic lovechild with Solo and the audience said no thanks.

If anything, I blame the Expanded Universe for encouraging a lot of that stuff. People got to the point where they couldn't tell the difference between that, and why Star Wars actually resonated with the public at large and was the greatest popular film series in the history of cinema.

And we get folks like the clueless Rian Johnson making TLJ. :loco:

The problem is that the movie set up Rey's parentage as a big secret and mystery. It was a mistake. They should've made it clear who her parents were from the beginning. Maybe fans still would've theorized and thought it was someone else, but at least be upfront. Her parents were degenerate Junkers, and she was sold off to Unkar Plutt and became an orphan.

Did it diminish Jon Snow to be revealed
as the secret nephew of Daenarys Targaryen
?

Welcome to Epic Sci-fi/fantasy. If this is your first time here.. watch Game of Thrones... Lost... Star Wars or any number of stories that feature.. wait for it...
epic unexpected family connections
as part of the plot.

Its like you're saying they should make Space-based Sci-fi... just don't set it in Space. :whatever:

I actually find it far more insulting to the character that she isn't considered good enough to be a Skywalker. But apparently she's good enough to fix what they broke? Makes zero sense given this is a Family Saga.

Why not have John McClane be a Circus Clown? I mean.. i'm sure you could. But its not the brightest idea in the world.

When you have epic family sagas, unexpected family connections is sort of a prerequisite. Even Lucas realized this as he had two of the most epic family reveals ever. And if you can't do that, and go there, don't be the one to write or direct an episode of the story because its just not your speed. And if you don't like that type of story, why watch Star Wars?.

Actual nonsense.

And I'm sure the decrepit hero lamenting a past mistake that hides himself away before ultimately committing suicide would make a great indie... but as a Star Wars Story and the end result of everyone's favorite galactic hero? Jesus.

XmO9GdM.jpg

Last edited:
The problem is that the movie set up Rey's parentage as a big secret and mystery. It was a mistake. They should've made it clear who her parents were from the beginning. Maybe fans still would've theorized and thought it was someone else, but at least be upfront. Her parents were degenerate Junkers, and she was sold off to Unkar Plutt and became an orphan.

I think they thought they were being upfront about it. Even Daisy Ridley was surprised that it was all people were talking about after TFA. They obviously played it up a bit when they realised there was all this buzz but it was never supposed to be earth-shattering.

They were never upfront about it, other than that sort of vague interview with Ridley where she mentions that.

Upfront in the sense that they didn't think there was really anything to be that upfront about.

Actual nonsense.

XmO9GdM.jpg

Note that I never mentioned actually getting back in the fight. Luke literally just sat there, had a Force Skype call with Leia, who then put him on with Kylo, and promptly died, but not after he got in a sick ironic millennial-level burn on his nephew.

WTG pal.

I mean.. that's totally Obi-wan.. right? :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"