Robin Hood

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=18676
Source: Variety
January 31, 2007

Variety reports that Universal Pictures has bought Nottingham, a hotly-pursued spec script from the creators of "Sleeper Cell," in a deal that will reunite Russell Crowe with Imagine Entertainment.

Crowe will receive $20 million against $20 million to star as the Sheriff of Nottingham in this revisionist version of the Robin Hood story; screenwriters Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris will receive seven figures for the script. There is no director attached yet.

Imagine's Brian Grazer will produce the film, expected to start shooting at the end of the year or early 2008.

For Imagine, Crowe stars in the upcoming American Gangster (Nov. 2) and has previously toplined Cinderella Man and A Beautiful Mind. Crowe also stars in 3:10 to Yuma, coming Oct. 12.

Sounds interesting and obviously it was a sort after script
http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=17086

Wait wait wait! ANOTHER robin hood story??? how many times are they going to do these films?

Men in tights was the best they should have left it at that ;)

Sounds interesting. Big Crowe fan, looks promising anyway.

Ha!

And I was just thinking up a re-imagining of the Robin Hood story just a couple weeks ago...don't you love irony?!

CAH

A revisionist version of Robin Hood? With Robin as a communist terrorist?

A revisionist version of Robin Hood? With Robin as a communist terrorist?

Haha, interesting.

It needs to be ambivalent in its good/bad concept.

Robin Hood is a savior to the poor, but obviously a rogue to the rich. So depending on your own perspective, Robin Hood can be good or bad. The Sheriff is merely doing his job, which is to stop Robin Hood. He may even understand and sympathize and maybe even RESPECT Robin Hood, but it is his duty to uphold the law, which Robin Hood clearly breaks. So the Sheriff can also be percieved as being good or bad.

This is the type of Robin Hood story I'd like to see. One that doesn't paint heroes or villains, but merely gives the audience the brush to do so.

sounds kinda like Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. which is fine by me. :up:

I just hope for all that is good and holy that Ron Howard doesn't get his mediocre hands on this, which, unfortunately, considering the people involved, looks like a definite possibility.

An Australian as the Sheriff of Nottingham?!

What next - an American as Robin Hood?!

Sheriff of Rottingham: "And why should the people rally behind you?"
Robin: "Because unlike some other Robin Hoods...I can speak with an English accent."
Crowd: "Impressed whispering"
Maid Marion: "Aroused moan"

Haha, interesting.

Robin Hood is a savior to the poor, but obviously a rogue to the rich. So depending on your own perspective, Robin Hood can be good or bad. The Sheriff is merely doing his job, which is to stop Robin Hood. He may even understand and sympathize and maybe even RESPECT Robin Hood, but it is his duty to uphold the law, which Robin Hood clearly breaks. So the Sheriff can also be percieved as being good or bad.

But in doing this, don't you simply make the Sheriff a cheap rip-off of Javert?

Besides, that is untrue to the character. In the legends the Sheriff was just as bad as Prince John, supported his power grab and used his position to steal from the citizens to line his pockets.

Haha, interesting.

This is the type of Robin Hood story I'd like to see. One that doesn't paint heroes or villains, but merely gives the audience the brush to do so.

What would be the point of that, exactly? Robin Hood never existed, so you're not doing a historically accurate, deeper biography of real historical figures. Robin Hood is simply a legendary hero, and the Sheriff a villain.

And your point about the Sheriff upholding the law - he is only intrested in money and his own power. He only upholds the law because it keeps him in power. He's a dictator. He's a bad guy!

Sheriff of Rottingham: "And why should the people rally behind you?"
Robin: "Because unlike some other Robin Hoods...I can speak with an English accent."
Crowd: "Impressed whispering"
Maid Marion: "Aroused moan"

Cary Elwes really was a better Robin Hood than Costner!

Will he have his shirt off?
Oh and yeah I'd go see it.

sounds kinda like Lex Luthor: Man of Steel. which is fine by me. :up:

I just hope for all that is good and holy that Ron Howard doesn't get his mediocre hands on this, which, unfortunately, considering the people involved, looks like a definite possibility.

Hopefully Crowe will rope Ridely in:woot:

It'll be interesting to see how the revisions work

An Australian as the Sheriff of Nottingham?!

What next - an American as Robin Hood?!

lol

robin2.jpg

The more I think on this the more I dislike it. Not many people feel that way, but still. I see it inevitable that the mentality Solid Snake has will prevail and it will turn one of literature's great villians into a poor man's Javert.

Not all villians need to be made sympathetic or given backstories. Look what it did to greats like Darth Vader and Dr. Lecter.

The more I think on this the more I dislike it. Not many people feel that way, but still. I see it inevitable that the mentality Solid Snake has will prevail and it will turn one of literature's great villians into a poor man's Javert.

The Sheriff is not a villain of literature, he's a folk legend.

This sounds like it could be interesting. I'll reserve my opinion till I see some kind of summary or rundown of the plot. Any new adaptation has to better then Costner's.

If anyone is interested in a re-imagining of the Robin Hood legend, with a realistic take, I would recommend the book by Stephen R Lawhead. Good book, the first in a coming trilogy. Take a look, here is the link to it on Amazon, its called HOOD.

http://www.amazon.com/Hood-King-Rav..._bbs_sr_1/102-4747863-6830550?ie=UTF8&s=books

Ok who should play Robin, Lady Maid Marian, Prince John and the other cast.
As long as Robin isn't Orlando Bloom. Sean Bean, Viggo Mortenson or Christian Bale would be good. Prince John, Jeramy Irons, Gary Oldman or Jack Davenport. Marian could be in a love triangle this time. Naomi Watts, Jennifer Connally, Kate Beckinsale, Emily Blunt, Kiera Knightly, Nicole Kidman. Any one of these could be Marian.

King Richard should be a brittish veteran. Um couldn't this idea be a spin on a movie Sean Connery did. Robin and Marian. In it the Sheriff and Robin treated it like a respect gleeful rivalry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"