Robin Hood Reboot: Avengers Style

It's just a very pointless scenario. Green light a film knowing it's going to fail, just to fill a production quota. It makes their job a thankless task.

It basically is. Many times they know the content isn’t great, but hope to offset it via cast and IP. Part of it derives from not really holding the audience in high respects. Thus, numerous films are, for more or less, sell-outs which, more often than not, results in crap. This film reeks of that.

For whatever reason many companies years ago, when this was first greenlit, thought a Robin Hood project would make the big bucks. Thus, about 5 - I think - were acquired at around the same time at varying companies.

Last edited:
We should go for really old properties instead of this new stuff.

Where is my big budget adaptation of the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Well, to be fair, we've gotten a couple awful Beowulf adaptations in the past decade or so.

And we should be getting a Gawain & The Green Knight movie soon.

It basically is. Many times they know the content isn’t great, but hope to offset it via cast and IP. Part of it derives from not really holding the audience in high respects. Thus, numerous films are, for more or less, sell-outs which, more often than not, results in crap. This film reeks of that.

For whatever reason many companies years ago, when this was first greenlit, thought a Robin Hood project would make the big bucks. Thus, about 5 - I think - were acquired at around the same time at varying companies.

Often movies like these are packages thrown together by the execs based on data such as the stars' latest box office successes, etc. The main point is to attract foreign buyers based on the talent (in this case Taron Edgerton's "Kingsman" movies have done well, especially in Int'l territories, and Jamie Foxx is a household name) and the fact that this could be for indie distributors what tentpoles are for the major studios. Sometimes that results in good movies and it pays off... and other times it doesn't. It's not the best way to make movies, but then again Lionsgate has always struck me as being mainly a 'numbers company.' They are definitely no Carolco or New Line Cinema.

Last edited:
The Double Toasted review of this killed me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"