Robin Hood Reboot: Avengers Style

Really the entire cast of Prince of Thieves is good, especially Rickman and Freeman, with the notable exception of Kevin Costner. Now I like Costner most of the time, but he was just miscast in that role I think.
You're right. I don't know what they were thinking. Even if he could have faked the accent, it still would have felt wrong. There's just something unmistakably American about Costner. That's why he's perfect for westerns and films about baseball and could have been a perfect Pa Kent.

Last edited:
$14.2 million 5 day total. That's less than the opening 3 day totals of Ridley Scott's Robin Hood ($36 million) and the opening 3 day total of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves ($25.6 million).

This film is DOA.

You're right. I don't know what they were thinking. Even if he could have faked the accent, it still would have felt wrong. There's just something unmistakably American about Costner. That's why he's perfect for westerns and films about baseball and could have been a perfect Pa Kent.

Wasn't K.Cosnter a producer or something ? Anyway, in the 90', he was "the man".

The people who green light these films when there is zero public demand should be held accountable.
The Ridley Scott 2010 film didn't set the box office alight - so I'd love to know who thought another stab at this would be a good idea.

Sometimes companies make films just to reach a quota. Why they do this, I’m still not entirely sure - something to do with signing deals, taxes, etc. Basically, they sometimes green light projects they don’t have a shred of hope in while also hoping the audience doesn’t see through it.

That is something some studios do to get a tax break. It was a huge thing in Germany for several years before Uwe Boll's movies were so terrible it was impossible to ignore their blatant use as a tax write off and the loophole was closed. And shortly after Uwe Boll quit making movies.

I imagine there are US companies that exploit similar loopholes on occasion.

That is something some studios do to get a tax break. It was a huge thing in Germany for several years before Uwe Boll's movies were so terrible it was impossible to ignore their blatant use as a tax write off and the loophole was closed. And shortly after Uwe Boll quit making movies.

I imagine there are US companies that exploit similar loopholes on occasion.

I can say I know companies at one of these do:

Disney, Fox, Warner Bros., Universal.

From the way they talked about it, seemed to be a usual occurrence too.

This has a $100 million budget?! Where did the money go?

Sometimes companies make films just to reach a quota. Why they do this, I’m still not entirely sure - something to do with signing deals, taxes, etc. Basically, they sometimes green light projects they don’t have a shred of hope in while also hoping the audience doesn’t see through it.
Baffling. Who'd be a film exec?

The problem with Robin Hood and King Arthur is that there is so many versions that it's not really that special anymore and I think because it's public domain, it's essentially free to adapt.
Same could be said about Sherlock Holmes and people still like whenever a new Sherlock take comes out most of the time! So what is it about these 2 properties that has so much issues? Maybe its the fact that both have very constricted storylines that need to be focused on while Sherlock Holmes doesn't?

Same could be said about Sherlock Holmes and people still like whenever a new Sherlock take comes out most of the time! So what is it about these 2 properties that has so much issues? Maybe its the fact that both have very constricted storylines that need to be focused on while Sherlock Holmes doesn't?

Honestly, I think it has more to do with the fact that the last couple films made on both characters simply haven’t been any good. Many of them have been rush jobs that try to slap what studios consider the hot trends of the day onto the characters, and that’s why they fail.

This has a $100 million budget?! Where did the money go?
Previously the answer was "up the movie stars' nose" but these days it's probably something more mundane like the producers lining their pockets.

I don't imagine Taron Egerton or Ben Mendelsohn get huge salaries. Jamie Foxx maybe.

Baffling. Who'd be a film exec?

Unsure what your question is exactly. I can say it’s deemed a common occurrence and sometimes necessary beyond the exec level. But, I can’t answer beyond what I said...

Last edited:
Not surprising. After Tarzan and King Arthur, it's obvious modern audiences don't really care for the older characters, even if it's updated for modern sensibilities.

We should go for really old properties instead of this new stuff.

Where is my big budget adaptation of the Epic of Gilgamesh?

Unsure what your question is exactly. I can say it’s deemed a common occurrence and sometimes necessary beyond the exec level. But, I can’t answer beyond what I said...
It's just a very pointless scenario. Green light a film knowing it's going to fail, just to fill a production quota. It makes their job a thankless task.

What a disaster.

It was always going to be. On a personal scale, I'd rather have 'authentic' adaptation of beloved characters than some 'steam-punk' nu-future retro fit of them, and also it helps if you get the basics right in the first place on the characters.

Not surprising. After Tarzan and King Arthur, it's obvious modern audiences don't really care for the older characters, even if it's updated for modern sensibilities.

As others have said, it has more to do with the films being bad than the characters.

I suppose. Having a large budget that makes it harder to actually recoup costs also hurts. I forgot Lone Ranger, but that also was a major flop.

I mean is anyone suprised. This bombed when it was announced.

The only thing that is surprising is the people who thought this was going to be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"