ROBOTECH fans, check this out!!

Lazlo Panaflex

Superhero
Reaction score
It's the long lost unreleased Robotech movie that Harmony Gold wants to forget about, but somehow the movie got released in foreign markets and now here is the movie dubbed in Spanish divided in nine parts, this is a real treat for Robotech fans everywhere.

After seeing the movie I can see why Carl Macek had a difficult assignment in splicing segments from Southern Cross and Megazone 23 into one cohesive storyline, even for a non-anime fan the story is a big mess.

Robotech La Pelicula

I thought Macek had nothing to do with this one.

The new movie for Robotech looks pretty cool. I hope its the start of new good things for the Robotech-verse.

TheVileOne said:
I thought Macek had nothing to do with this one.

The new movie for Robotech looks pretty cool. I hope its the start of new good things for the Robotech-verse.
Cannon films were rushing to fill in their Summer schedule in 1986 and so they commisioned Carl Macek to do a direct translation of Megazone 23 with references to the Robotech universe but after Cannon producers deemed the finished product too girlish they ordered Macek to rewrite the script to feature more robot action.

Macek tweeked a few scenes from Southern Cross into Megazone 23 and came up with a garbled mish mash of a storyline that contradicted the Robotech series on TV.

There was a small preview in Texas but the film failed to make it into Cannon's schedule, the film has been released overseas onto dubbed video tapes.

Currently Harmony Gold has no plans of releasing this movie to DVD.

I like robotech but its been years sense I last saw it. Thankfully im getting it off of netflix soon.

Is there a way to watch it in English?

What characters does it use?

ObakeTora said:
that looks like Macross.
Macross is Robotech.
right?
Isn't it just a continuation of Robotech?
Did anyone else get that huge box set of robotech for $85? That was a great deal, for three Robotech series and huge set of extras.

TheVileOne said:
Is there a way to watch it in English?

What characters does it use?
In English I doubt it, the characters were all new to the Robotech series except for the footage featuring the Masters.

SpeedballLives said:
Macross is Robotech.
right?
Isn't it just a continuation of Robotech?
Robotech was comprised of three different anime series that were not related except for being done by the same animation studios, the 1/3 half of Robotech with Rick Hunter and Lisa Hayes was the anime called Macross with newly dubbed over voices to fit into the Robotech.

Robotech and Macross are two entirely different stories.

I wish they would finish The Sentinels. They only did the beginning, and based on the books, it had the best storyline of the whole series.

I wish they would finish The Sentinels. They only did the beginning, and based on the books, it had the best storyline of the whole series.

I blame international corporate shenanigans (the company hired to anime The Sentinels went bankrupt).

I blame international corporate shenanigans (the company hired to anime The Sentinels went bankrupt).
It actually had to do with the Yen/Dollar exchange rate. It skyrocketed in the 80s. So sad! I agree that the Sentinals would have been great. I love the books as well!

I dunno. My heart still lies with the "Third Generation" with the Invid Invasion and Scott Bernard's ragtag band of Robotech warriors. The Cyclone or MOSPEADA armor whichever you prefer was the coolest concept in mecha that has almost never been replicated in other shows.

I dunno. My heart still lies with the "Third Generation" with the Invid Invasion and Scott Bernard's ragtag band of Robotech warriors. The Cyclone or MOSPEADA armor whichever you prefer was the coolest concept in mecha that has almost never been replicated in other shows.

It's an awesome series and the Cyclone is certainly one of the best mecha ever designed. But the story was incomplete. The three series needed to be tied together better and the Sentinels would have done that. Oh well.

It's an awesome series and the Cyclone is certainly one of the best mecha ever designed. But the story was incomplete. The three series needed to be tied together better and the Sentinels would have done that. Oh well.

Weren't the books by Jack Mckinney supposed to tie things up with The Sentinels and another be-all-end-all book "The End of the Circle". To be fair a lot of the concepts the books and Robotech made couldn't be adapted from any existing anime and I doubt Harmony Gold was going to spend its own cash on new original animation....I dunno. Did the Shadow Chronicles do well?

Weren't the books by Jack Mckinney supposed to tie things up with The Sentinels and another be-all-end-all book "The End of the Circle". To be fair a lot of the concepts the books and Robotech made couldn't be adapted from any existing anime and I doubt Harmony Gold was going to spend its own cash on new original animation....I dunno. Did the Shadow Chronicles do well?
I read all those books and they did exactly what you said, but to have them animated would have been amazing!

I know the Shadow Chronicles did do well but Harmony Gold dropped the ball on a planned sequel that would have brought a lot of the original Macross group back and maybe addressed what they were doing all the years they were away from earth.

Personally as a big Robotech fan I say hurry up and make Shadows Rising.I get that RT: Love Live Alive came out 2 days ago but it is mostly old footage. I would like to see Shadow Rising or any follow up to the Shadow Chronicles and then have them go back and do the Sentinels as an OVA of some sort, kinda like how Gundam does with the Universal Century.

It actually had to do with the Yen/Dollar exchange rate. It skyrocketed in the 80s. So sad! I agree that the Sentinals would have been great. I love the books as well!

I think that still counts as corporate shenanigans. :cwink:

Still, it was a terrible wast of potential.

Personally as a big Robotech fan I say hurry up and make Shadows Rising.I get that RT: Love Live Alive came out 2 days ago but it is mostly old footage. I would like to see Shadow Rising or any follow up to the Shadow Chronicles and then have them go back and do the Sentinels as an OVA of some sort, kinda like how Gundam does with the Universal Century.

I can't believe it's been 6 or 7 years since Shadow Chronicles was released. I think they though that since WB decided to announce a planned live action film then that they didn't need to work on Shadow Rising. I thought the fans kind of got the shaft from Harmony Gold and they need to do an amazing job on Shadow Rising to make up for it.

I think that still counts as corporate shenanigans. :cwink:

Still, it was a terrible wast of potential.

Agreed :)

I actually liked Marcus and Maia from Shadow Chronicles but the quality really did suck in retrospect. They need either a better budget or better animation studio for the sequel.

Wasn't Tobey Maguire supposed to executive produce a live action Robotech movie? HA! look where that's been sitting.

Wasn't Tobey Maguire supposed to executive produce a live action Robotech movie? HA! look where that's been sitting.

I heard that too. Typical Parker/Spider-Man luck...

I'm surprised that Harmony Gold hasn't tried selling the rights to any company. Hasbro or Mattel might be interested. Or maybe Disney. Or maybe by some twisted fate some Japanese company tries to buy the Robotech rights to circumvent import tariffs on related anime goods.

I think its safe to say someone else would be doing good with the license.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"