• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Rogue Remaking Craven's Last House

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=16058

Source: Variety
August 17, 2006

Rogue Pictures has closed a deal to remake The Last House on the Left, the 1972 horror film that started Wes Craven's career, reports Variety.

Craven, who wrote and directed the original, will produce the remake with longtime partner Marianne Maddalena and Sean S. Cunningham. The latter produced the original. Craven and Rogue are eyeing an early 2007 start date.

In the film, a pair of adventurous teen girls are kidnapped, raped and murdered by a gang of thugs. The killers unwittingly hole up in the home of one victim's parents, who, upon realizing what their guests did, devise gruesome revenge.

Craven and Cunningham got $90,000 to shoot the original from drive-in theater owners in Boston who wanted cheap second films for double-feature bills. The R rating was self-imposed, since Craven had never heard of the MPAA.

Craven told the trade that remakes of his Shocker and People Under the Stairs are in the works as well.

Damn, I hoped you were being cute and the news was that Anna Paquin was going to be in it.:(

What's with your thread titles these days?:(

Why? Last House was trash.

That movie was real bad..... What's next...a remake of...I spit on your grave...

I'm not a very big fan of the original. Mostly because I watched it at a fairly young age, and I was kind of tramatized. I consider myself a pretty seasoned horror movie buff, but up until that point, I hadn't seen a movie that was that visceral. The rawness of the movie really made it feel real to my young mind. After the first time I watched it, I haven't really felt the need to watch it again. I had a similar, but not as bad reaction to the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which I saw at an even younger age, but I grew to really love that movie.

Anyway, I'm kind of numb to all of these remakes at this point. They've remade some of my favorite movies of all time and they've almost always ended up with something that's less than stellar. Who knows, this could turn into the next "The Fly" or "The Hills Have Eyes" where the remake is arguably better that the original, but I doubt it.

Meh... even though it was an important movie for the evolution of the genre, the original Last House is extremely poorly made and trashy... it seems kind of pointless to remake it, because I don't think you can really make a good movie out of that plotline... but I guess it shouldn't be too hard to top the original as a film, so it might as well be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"