Ryan Reynolds Says 'There's No Rule' Against Playing Deadpool And Green Lantern

JDym

Civilian
Reaction score
my apologies if this topic isnt appropriate for this board.

via splashpage:

Ryan Reynolds might not be the first actor to play both DC and Marvel Comics characters in theaters by the time he finishes work on "Green Lantern," but he might be the most tightly scheduled, depending on how the film's shooting calendar matches up with the "Deadpool" production schedule. Starring in two competing films in 2011 doesn't seem to faze Reynolds, however, least of all because the properties come from opposites sides of comics' Big Two publishers.
"There's no rule that says you can't play two different characters in two different comic-book universes," Reynolds told Entertainment Weekly. Deadpool co-creator Rob Liefeld pointed out Reynolds' comment on his Twitter site.
DC and Marvel's practices of scooping up A-list comics creators for exclusive contracts has not yet infiltrated their film production strategies, so Reynolds is completely in the right for now. In fact, if all goes as planned, he could be the first actor we see appearing on talk shows to promote two comic book movies at once -- which would make for quite a publicity tour.
And the "Van Wilder" star may want more when it's all over with, according to the article. Comic book properties seem to be whetting his appetite.
"There are so many interesting comic book characters out there," Reynolds said. "I would love to do others."

Ryan Reynolds said:
"There's no rule that says you can't play two different characters in two different comic-book universes"...

...unless it's written in your contract. That's what kept Pierce Brosnan from becoming James Bond way back in the 1980's. Instead he had to wait until he was finshed with his obligations to NBC and "Remington Steele" before he became Bond in the 1990's.

If he says so, then let's think so too .....
Come on the guy was soooooooo Flash few months ago, now he is soooooooooooo GL. What is it ? GL ? Flash ? GL ? Flash ? He would be good as Aquaman too, let vote R.Reynolds for Aquaman, Yey !

...unless it's written in your contract. That's what kept Pierce Brosnan from becoming James Bond way back in the 1980's. Instead he had to wait until he was finshed with his obligations to NBC and "Remington Steele" before he became Bond in the 1990's.

I'd be very surprised if there isn't something like that in his GL contract. Though he presumably had read the contract before he said this.

Ryan Reynolds is...

THE JUSTICE LEAGUE!

ryanreynoldsf.jpg

I'd be very surprised if there isn't something like that in his GL contract. Though he presumably had read the contract before he said this.

Sure, he can play Deadpool... after he is done with the Green Lantern franchise. :woot:

Honestly, Green Lantern and Deadpool is enough. I hope he doesn't try to do any other super-hero movies. But as I said before, GL will most likely be a trilogy and fill up alot of his time. RR is a great actor,(one of my favorites), but I just don't think people would be crazy about him being any other heroes. :D

Green Lantern is my favorite DC, and Deadpool is my favorite Marvel. I'm glad RR is going to be Hal and Wade. I'm pretty positive he's going to pull Hal off well.:grin: But time will tell...

I see no problem with it. In Deadpool, he'll likely have facial scarring and hopefully a mask so the recognition that "hey, it's hal jordan", should be minimal. Two different characters in two different movies.

I see no problem with it. In Deadpool, he'll likely have facial scarring and hopefully a mask so the recognition that "hey, it's hal jordan", should be minimal. Two different characters in two different movies.

On top of that, DP and GL are vastly different characters in regards to their story arch. I think it's fine. I just don't see a Deadpool movie coming out anytime soon

If he says so, then let's think so too .....
Come on the guy was soooooooo Flash few months ago, now he is soooooooooooo GL. What is it ? GL ? Flash ? GL ? Flash ? He would be good as Aquaman too, let vote R.Reynolds for Aquaman, Yey !

:whatever:

Yeah, I think having Reynolds behind the mask in Deadpool would actually make it easier for him to star in two different superhero movies at once. At least audience won't be able to see his face in DP most of the time so in a way, he won't get over-exposed.

Yea this was talked about a few days ago if i recall, it will be interesting to see if deadpool actually ends up happening or not.

Is he actually signed for Deadpool or is it just assumed that he'd get the role back? Knowing Fox I'd be surprised if he was allowed to keep the part now.

Deadpool still needs a director, and I question if the current writers are competent enough to produce a working script for that film. The last time I saw the creators of a comic book character write and produce a film we got "Tank Girl" and you know how great that was. Until something really positive happens, Deadpool is just that.

Yea untill the studio gets a director, a finished script, a release date, and cameras are actually rolling who knows if deadpool will happen. Heck between now and then wb could force ryan into a contract deal where he cant play competting hero characters while doing gl for wb.

I wonder who he prefers, dead pool or GL

^Probably Deadpool. I've heard he's a huge fan of the character.

I also think that Ryan has a geek mind, so he'll do his Lantern search quickly and know the character well enough that he too will love it. Maybe not as much as Deadpool though.

Yea that would be a smart move to help understand the character better to reseach and see why its such a loved character. Which i am sure he is picking up alot of hal jordan materials from dc/on his own.

yeah. between the scarred face and the mask, you shouldn't be able to really recognize him.

He'd be a fool to choose Deadpool over GL if the choice had to be made.

He could be the main character in a one-shot spinoff of a spinoff (which is what Deadpool would be) Or he can be the headline star in a brand new franchise that could explode like the new Batman movies.

If he can pull them off, then more power to him.

He's already played Deadpool on film though, so even if he doesn't ever return to the character, he still played both Deadpool and Green Lantern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"