Ryan Reynolds Says 'There's No Rule' Against Playing Deadpool And Green Lantern

Deadpool isn't interesting to me at all. He's funny and breaks the 4th wall but that's about it. I say RR just stick to Green Lantern and let Fox recast...They'll f*** it up anyway!

I can see the appeal of Deadpool but I'm shocked at the cult fanbase he has: he's like the Bruce Campbell of comic book characters.

Considering Deadpool is masked the most of the time anyway, what does it matter if Reynolds is there or not? They could write it so that they just use a stunt double in the suit the entire time, and then voice-over with Reynolds and shoot his 'out-of-suit' stuff later. So his scheduling wouldn't even be a biggie.

Also, as previously stated multiple times, Fox is going to ruin Deadpool anyway.

Yeah even if a deadpool movie was greenlit, I wouldn't be excited because fox is behind it.

Fox turned out The A-Team and Predators this year. Two good Fox films in seven years. They might have turned over a new leaf. Although with these movies not doing as well including Knight and Day, I hope they don't go back to their own ways. They said thewy were happy wiyh Predators. So if they made DP for $40 million or so and make it R the stakes aren't that high and they won't interfere.

IF ROBERT WAS involved with Deadpool, I can see it working..

I don't see it happening. The news of negotiations broke 2 weeks ago and still no word on whether he'll do it or not. He's worked with Fox on Machete and Predators so he know what he's getting himself into. What's the hold up?

From what I've read, even if Fox did talk to him about Deadpool, he still wants to do Spy Kids 4 (for some odd reason) next (not talking about his 'vapor' movies like Sin City 2 or Nervecracker).

So if Fox wants ASAP, it may happen UNLESS they can offer him a nice paycheck, THEN he might reconsider.

I can wait for a Sin City 2 if that means getting Deadpool first.

Ryan Reynolds: I'll be in either Deadpool or R.I.P.D., but probably not both

Legions of Deadpool fans are waiting anxiously for the Merc With A Mouth's spin-off movie, hoping it'll redress Wade Wilson's mistreatment in X-Men Origins: Wolverine. But Ryan Reynolds told us he'll either star in Deadpool or R.I.P.D... but not both.

We caught up with Reynolds doing some press for his new "trapped in a coffin" movie Buried, which comes out in limited release this weekend. Reynolds' IMDB page lists him as signed up for six different movies in pre-production. So we asked him about his upcoming plans, including Deadpool and the undead-cops comic book adaptation R.I.P.D. And here's what he told us:

So can you tell us when you might be filming Deadpool or R.I.P.D.?

Neither [is] next. I shoot a movie called The Change-Up next. It's kind of like an R-rated comedy, and right after that I start on a thriller called Safe House with Denzel Washington. And then, after that is where one of those two movies will hopefully fall.

But you don't know which one yet?

People sort of ask this question, like I have any say in the matter. They're both movies I'm interested in, they're both movies that are in fast-track development. But I never say I'm doing a movie until I break for lunch the first day. Because it's such a crapshoot, this industry. Everything's so fickle and so contingent on so many factors, aside from just an actor. And because it has an actor, and because these films have interested directors, it's obviously likely that they'll both get made. But I think it would be more likely that only one of them gets made with me.

Because you've got other projects on the horizon, like Green Lantern 2?

Oh, yeah, we got to get that cart well in front of the horse, I guess. (Laughs)

The good news is, it actually sounds like Reynolds' next project, The Change-Up, has a fantasy/SF twist. Reynolds' slacker character swaps bodies with responsible family man Jason Bateman, so Bateman can date Olivia Wilde's character, who's a co-worker at Bateman's law firm. This film is from the writers of The Hangover and the director of Wedding Crashers, David Dobkin. I'd heard about this project, but hadn't realized it had any speculative elements.

http://io9.com/5643487/ryan-reynolds-ill-be-in-either-deadpool-or-ripd-but-probably-not-both

It better be Deadpool. I mean why would he abandon it suddenly? He's been wanting to get it off the ground for years. Now he has the opportunity to be in it, supervises the writing of the script every day, knows what's going on, and he would just walk away? It's a passion project for him. He's been a huge reason why this film is even happening.

The decision isn't Reynolds'. That is just what the articles are cooking up to get hits.

If the decision was solely down to Reynolds, there wouldn't even be a question about it. He's wanted to make that movie for 8 years. Then he drops out at the final moment? Heh, not at all.

It's all down to Fox getting the pieces in place.

And the appeal of Deadpool? The appeal is the fact that he is totally unique. He's tragic... yet funny. And he spits in the face of superhero/comic book cliches and stereotypes. The comic book movie industry needs a movie like Deadpool. There is too many superhero movies these days, there could be a audience burn out. Then along comes Deadpool and tells it how it is... there is too many cliche, stereotypical superhero movies.

Edit: And to the guy who said Deadpool is a cliche anti hero? Dear god man, if you know nothing about a character don't speak about them. Deadpool is the exact opposite if cliche. There is literally no other characters in the entire world of comics like him.

Also, people keep mentioning that GL is more lucrative financially. Well of course it is! Damn, it doesn't take a genius to work that out. But that point is irrelevent. Reynolds doesn't want to do the Deadpool movie to become a big star and earn loads of money... he wants to do it because, and this is an exact quote from the guy from 2002 "I feel like i came out of my mothers womb to play the merc with the mouth".

Last edited:
I dont understand all the buzz about Deadpool. I dont see it as a franchise at all, and i have doubts if it will be any good in box office.

Besides, Deadpool was dead AWFUL in Wolverine movie (everything was awful on that movie, btw).

I think it's more the notion that he's playing characters from two long-time rival companies like Marvel and DC that people are so upset about.

And no, he's not the first. You've got Halle Berry playing Storm and ...catwoman... & James Marsden playing Cyclops and Richard White in Superman.

Reynolds was the logical choice for Deadpool and I thought he did a decent job in his limited speaking role.

However, Hal Jordan has zero sense of humor and is the serious, soldier type. Which I'm sure Reynolds can pull-off despites people's objections(See Ledger as Joker, Downey as Iron Man), but it will leave people skeptical until it finally happens.

It's too bad Deadpool is at Fox. That could have been a great movie.

In the end, Ryan did the right thing by choosing Green Lantern. He wouldn't have 'The Change-Up', 'Safe House', or 'RIPD' if he turned it down.

I dont understand all the buzz about Deadpool. I dont see it as a franchise at all, and i have doubts if it will be any good in box office.

Besides, Deadpool was dead AWFUL in Wolverine movie (everything was awful on that movie, btw).

There was a character named "Deadpool" in that movie...RR even played a really good version of Wade. But whatever that was at the end, it wasn't Deadpool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"