Sad Songs That Weren't Intended To Be

Rorschach II

Must investigate further.
Reaction score
You know those songs that make you sorta sad for some reason but they weren't intended to be by the artist(s) who wrote it? Maybe it was playing during one of those great memories that can never be replicated, or maybe it was "the song" that almost every couple has that eternally reminds one member of a long-gone relationship of the other. Sure most of you have one. Share it here!

One of my own is a relatively obscure (even to fans of the band) song named Listen Up by Oasis. Song isn't necessarily very sad yet it fills me with melancholy every time, no explanation why. Beatles' entire album Help! has a similar effect because it was my "album of the moment" during a relationship that didn't end up too well. Have more, post later.

"Do You Know Where You're Going To" by Diana Ross. She originally wrote it as a way to tell her kids to look forward to their futures. I thought it was a song about reflecting on a wasted life.

Holiday From Real - Jack's Mannequin. The CD was my soundtrack to summer my last year in high school, but that song specifically brings back so many memories; it was blaring during every stupid, juvenile thing we did that long ass summer, but we could also relate to every word. It's cliche, and I'm young, probably too much so to be thinking wistfully about summers past, but damn, man. This song does it to me. My anthem to teenage stupidity.

Do You Remember by Jack Johnson is an upbeat lovesong, but my boyfriend ruined it forever with me by making me listen to it on the drive home after I broke broke up with him (the first time). "This is a nice song." I said. What did he reply? "Not anymore." ****! He always sang it to me so goofy like, too. Gah. I hate him.

"Have You Ever Seen The Rain?" by CCR. It's just the start really. Reminds me of going fishing with my cousins and their friend Johnny (who had an enormous shotgun which is more aptly referred to as an "arm cannon") at 5 am off West Palm Beach, not necessarily an irreplicable memory, but one I wish I had appreciated more at the time.

Topic would've been better had I made it broader. Maybe "songs that make you sad". Idiot.

Topic would've been better had I made it broader. Maybe "songs that make you sad". Idiot.

"She thinks my tractor's sexy." It makes me want to cry that there is a song about women being attracted to farm vehicles.:csad:

revolving door-crazy town cos of shizn that happened involving the chick who introduced me to this song

With You - Avril Lavigne

For reasons I will not divulge now.

Sweet Home Alabama, it was my late fathers favorite song.

Also the main Metal Gear Solid 3 theme, not the 'Snake Eater' song, the variation of the MGS2 theme that plays during the 'Debriefing' part of the game, gets me every damn time.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night - Nirvana/Leadbelly. Because of girl woes mainly.

Nowhere Man by the Beatles...was this intended to be sad? The subject of the song just seemed so lonely...

Carolina in my mind by James Taylor

this song kinda makes me sad, but it's more in a nostalgic way. when i hear it, so many memories and stories are tied up into it, it's like they all come back at once :(

"(Just Like) Starting Over" by John Lennon. The optimism and joy of the song become bitterly ironic after John's death.

"(Just Like) Starting Over" by John Lennon. The optimism and joy of the song become bitterly ironic after John's death.

Beautiful Boy, song he wrote for Sean, even sadder after his death.

True. And as I said, a lot of people reinterpretted "#9 Dream" after John died.

Whatever the theme is from the old Romeo and Juliet movie..I had just gotten back from looking at houses where my family was moving to. It was 9 at night and no other places were open to eating, it was just me and my mom alone in some hibachi restaurant..I just felt really alone when it started playing, it was horrible :csad:

View From Heaven- Yellowcard

I swear, I think that's the saddest, upbeat song I've ever heard.

[YT]PNwiaruk55w[/YT]

Isn't that song intentionally sad?

but what the hell do I know...like I even recognize country music as music. :whatever:

Actually your right. My bad. I can't really think of anysongs that weren't meant to be sad, but make me sad.

Good Times- Styles P

High and Mighty Color- Ichirin no hana

1000 miles-..... that one chick who sings it.

The Doors - Crystal Ship

Song isn't exactly happy or upbeat, but I do not think it was meant to invoke the sorrow it does in me. Was in love at the time. Played during sex. All gone now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"