Sailor Moon: Crystal

It's been a while since I watched the show, but an arc that I loved in the original was that of Molly and Nephrite falling in love.

0.jpg
[BLACKOUT]Nephrite's death[/BLACKOUT] is still really sad to watch, after all of these years. :csad: Still one of the best episodes of the entire series though!

I loved PGSM. I say that with no shame at all.

I remember using torrents to watch the whole series back when it first aired in Japan (which I can't believe was already over 10 years ago!). When I began watching the show, I went in with low expectations. At first, it took a while to get used to the costumes, the monsters, and the silly fighting choreography in live action (I just laughed at the campy fun of it all), but once the plot really started to kick in, I was hooked.

It's certainly a different interpretation of Sailor Moon ([BLACKOUT]especially with the Princess Sailor Moon plotline, and how she's like Phoenix from X-Men pretty much[/BLACKOUT]), but I found it to be a fresh take on a story that all Sailor Moon fans are very familiar with. My only big gripe with the show is the stupid Sailor Luna character.

Also, as I said in a previous post, I think PGSM is the best version of Sailor Moon when concerning the character development of Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, and Venus. It's good stuff. :up:

EDIT: I would also like to add that I would be extremely, extremely happy if Viz Media got the license to PGSM as well. Doubt it's going to happen, but I would buy the series in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
I never watched the live action show. So, was it good? I saw a little, and I wasn't really impressed.

I recommend the live action show. The first few episodes are really cutesy and funny, in my opinion. Once all of the Senshi are introduced, the plot starts to kick in, and things start to get really good. :)

I never finished the series, but I enjoyed

Season 1 - The Negaverse

Season 2 - Alan and Ann

Season 3 - The Black Moon Clan

Proxies like MediaHint or Hola might work, I think.

Though honestly, I'm willing to pay ~$150 for a full blu ray set. I believe in supporting good art for those who can afford it.

I hope they make a good movie one day.

150 is wishful thinking. If thru come out with a complete series it would probably be around $300

How do you guys like the comics compared to the tv show?

I like the original comics much more then the cartoon. Much darker in tone.

A full boxset with the entire seasons and films would be a lot of content. Anime prices have gone up, so my bet would probably be $300-400 for all of it. I doubt they're going to do that, probably individual seasons for $50-60 a pop, with movies as a standalone set or put with their respective season.

In regards to manga vs show, I think the manga wins out overall. The show suffers that DBZ syndrome of having a lot of filler. There's some great character moments in there, of course, but there's still a ton of fluff. The manga is much more precise, keeps much more focused. I also think that Usagi develops better in the manga. The anime is strange in that we see her as Sailor Moon develop into a strong leader from a rather weak-willed girl, but her as Usagi stays more or less stuck as a ditzy girl. It's almost like the anime treats them as two different people.

I like the original comics much more then the cartoon. Much darker in tone.

Not sure I agree with that. The manga starts out fairly light-hearted, and the anime definitely has some dark moments in it's later seasons.

When it comes to the manga, I really do like the storylines, and that there's no filler. Also, the artwork is gorgeous. Naoko Takeuchi's artwork definitely had a distinct character to it. "Ethereal" is the word that comes to mind when I look at the manga and the artbooks.

Compared to the anime, there are things about the manga that I like more, and things that I like less. For instance, I think that the manga version of SuperS and Stars are infinitely superior to the anime (especially SuperS, the only season of Sailor Moon that I overall do not like, even in Japanese).

Another big thing that has always stood out to me in the manga is Sailor Venus. In the manga, Sailor Venus is, without a doubt, one of my favorite senshi. She's the leader of the group who takes charge (I consider her to be the Cyclops of the group, really). In the anime, her character starts off that way, but her character becomes stunted after season one. I feel that she becomes more of a token ditzy blonde (which doesn't really make sense, considering how Usagi/Sailor Moon already fills that role).

Now, there are some things that I prefer in the anime. That's mostly character development. I feel that every Senshi has much more of an opportunity to shine in the anime, whereas they don't really have those moments in the manga. As much as I love the manga, the series struggles in character development mostly because they introduce too many characters (much more than the anime did, actually) Also, the anime handled the villains way better than the manga could ever hope to, in my opinion.

There's one big reason why I think I prefer the anime over the manga, though: The messages. While I think the universe and the mythology are established better in the manga, the messages of sisterhood and girl power are much, much stronger in the anime. The manga has the "cool" factor, but I think the anime has more heart, which catches my attention more. I still don't like the SuperS anime though, haha. :p

Last edited:
oh man, someone else posted the trailer before I did...XD

Hearing Mitsuishi Kotono saying "Moon Prism Power Make Up!!" again just made me feel like this

wave_of_feels-18739.gif

Gahhh I can't wait until July 5!

That trailer is perfection ... Except for maybe the theme song (at least I think it will be the theme song). "Moonlight Densetsu" is just so iconic, and this new theme is just some generic pop song. I was kind of expecting that though.

I'm just nitpicking about that, though. I love everything else about this trailer. Sailor Moon looks so pretty, and Luna looks so cute! I was a fan of the art design already, but it looks even better in motion (especially Usagi's hair; pretty!).

I am a very happy fan right now. 2014 is a fantastic year to be a Sailor Moon fan! :up:

Yeah, that's the opening song. I don't mind it too much, it's not Moonlight Densetsu but it sounds pretty appropriate for the series.

The "tsuki ni kawatte oshioki yo!" pose looks great, once I reach 300 posts that will be my avatar:funny:

Here's some sad SM-related news for those who watched the DiC dub...

Sailor Moon's English Zoisite Voice Actress Kirsten Bishop Passes Away

Actress Kirsten Bishopic (Kirsten Bishop) passed away on April 15 due to lung cancer. She was 50 years old. Bishopic starred in DiC and Cloverway's Sailor Moon dub as villains Zoicite, Emerald (Sailor Moon R), Kaori Knight and Telulu (Sailor Moon S), and Lady Badiyanu (Sailor Moon Super S Movie: Black Dream Hole). She also appeared in many live-action television series and films such as Frequency, The West Wing, Nikita and Warehouse 13.

RIP.

I'm not much of an anime or manga guy, but I liked the craptastic Dic dub as a kid and my wife's absolute loved of the original unaltered anime show and the manga got me to reinvest in the mythos. I can't lie, it's freaking unique and interesting. It's the first anime I watched in it's entirety as well as the first manga I read.

I really like both, but definitely prefer the manga as the characters personalities are better written. There was some needless stuff changed for the anime, but I won't be a stickler about it because they're both good. But the manga is a much more concise story than the anime imo.

As for this new anime? Man, it looks like it's recreated the look of the manga art perfectly. If they play their cards right and stick as close to the manga as they've said they would it could be the definitive take on the mythos to ever grace a screen.

I love the new artwork/design, and that it's trying to emulate the manga more. I really feel that the target audience for this new show is the nostalgia crowd, so I think the animation is aimed to look more mature and elegant for its viewers ... And also because the older audience is more familiar with the original manga than other demographics. The characters look gorgeous. :)

I'm happy that the legendary Mitsuishi Kotono is back to be Sailor Moon, but I'm so curious as to how the rest of the Senshi will sound. I love the old voice actresses, so it'll be quite an adjustment getting used to hearing different voices from them, but I'm excited about it too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"