Sailor Moon: Crystal

I'm wondering if Viz will bring this to the Adult Swim Toonami block with it's other properties like Bleach, which is ending in the relatively near future, and Naruto.

Also forgot to include this from the announcement article:

Viz has been doing a great job promoting this. Their tweets have been hilarous.

"No more cousins"

"Zoisite will be a male and in love with Malechite"

Though I am sad that we wont get their English names again as I loved them.

I liked the English names and the voice actresses in the original dub. Actually, from what I recall, the voice actress for Serena had a sweet, affectionate voice, which made the character more likeable.

Character designs finally revealed:
bd44.jpg

10295694_282504381911100_9063158920942673800_n.png

Mercury !

:hrt::hrt::hrt::hrt::hrt:

I'm a huge Sailor Moon fan and I'm just...super excited about the re-license announcement. I'm so happy that I'll be able to buy blu-ray sets of the original, uncut series - I never got the older uncut DVDs by ADV and Pioneer (though I had the VHS tapes of the movies) and they sold for zillions of dollars (plus I heard the quality of the ADV boxset masters really sucked). And Viz has ALL of the series, including the 5th season? I'm totally saving for those blu-rays now.:hrt::hrt::hrt: Though I kinda wish Viz could have included at least 1 or 2 eps of the old dub as an extra, just for the camp value :funny:

I'm also interested about how Sailor Moon Crystal will turn out. There's been so many delays since it was announced, I hope it'll be good, and I hope that if it's good that they'll make more and go beyond the initial Dark Kingdom arc.:woot:

This is a really good time to be a Sailor Moon fan...:hrt:

Last edited:
Ok, I am a huge, huge Sailor Moon fan. It was a big part of my childhood, and I still love it, even at 27 years of age.

I was excited to hear about Sailor Moon Crystal, and I was excited to see some of the artwork/character designs released ... But I am FAR more excited for Viz Media's new license of the original anime. Don't get me wrong, I will still watch the new anime with enthusiasm, but the recent news about Viz Media trumps everything, in my opinion!

All I ever wanted was a proper Sailor Moon DVD release: uncut, remastered, Japanese, English subtitles, all 200 episodes + Movies + TV specials, etc. The new dub (which will be done the RIGHT way this time) is just gravy at this point. Even if the new dub stinks, who cares? We're still getting an official release of the Japanese version. Sailor Moon fans are finally getting the proper release they've been waiting for. I'm so happy that I could cry and/or scream!

Happy_sailor_moon.gif

I'm saying buh-bye to my less-than-stellar American DVDs (the ADV and Pioneer ones, which have awful quality), as well as my Sailor Stars bootlegs (which I only bought because it was not previously licensed in North America). The Sailor Senshi are finally getting the treatment they deserve, and the loyal fans who have been wanting this for about 15 years have finally been rewarded. I've been saying for years that when this show gets a GOOD release that I would be more than ready and willing to buy them. That day is finally here! :awesome:

Ill be holding on to my original SM dvds if only for the nostalgia and remembrance of their english names and some of their voices, plus some of the songs were good.

I'm not going to lie: When I first discovered Sailor Moon as a kid (I was around 8 years-old at the time), the English dub was my introduction to the show. I loved the dub back then, and I have the fondest memories of waking up super early (especially during my Summer vacation) to watch it every morning at 6am.

When I was 12 or 13, I picked up a copy of the Sailor Moon R movie, in Japanese. That movie changed everything for me, and I have not been able to watch the dub with fondness or enthusiasm ever since, sadly.

I would undoubtedly call myself a fan of the Japanese version, but I'm not one of those fans who looks down on people who love the dub. Without the first English dub, I would have never even watched the show to begin with, so I can't hate on it. :)

I'm not going to lie: When I first discovered Sailor Moon as a kid (I was around 8 years-old at the time), the English dub was my introduction to the show. I loved the dub back then, and I have the fondest memories of waking up super early (especially during my Summer vacation) to watch it every morning at 6am.

When I was 12 or 13, I picked up a copy of the Sailor Moon R movie, in Japanese. That movie changed everything for me, and I have not been able to watch the dub with fondness or enthusiasm ever since, sadly.

I would undoubtedly call myself a fan of the Japanese version, but I'm not one of those fans who looks down on people who love the dub. Without the first English dub, I would have never even watched the show to begin with, so I can't hate on it. :)

I was also introduced to SM through the DiC dub, in...1999, I think. Maybe late 1998? It was airing on Cartoon Network then, and the next year the S and SuperS dub premiered and I remember being really excited to get even a glimpse of those seasons that I'd read about online.

The R movie was also the first time I watched any part of SM in Japanese, and after that I remember downloading crappy .rm videos of Japanese episodes taken from old fansubs, off of streamload.com (anyone else remember that site?).

When I was a kid, the dub seemed fine to me...but it's just painful to watch now that I'm an adult and I know what was changed and how much they changed stuff (I always hated that they made Haruka and Michiru cousins :cmad:). But it introduced me and probably millions of others to the series and to anime and manga as a whole, so I credit it for that at least.

At least this proposed US version never got made:
[YT]2txbW5jWE14[/YT]

Last edited:
Honestly, my favorite things from the entire anime are the Sailor Moon R movie and episodes 45 & 46 (the last two episodes from the first season). I think the R movie and those two episodes pack the biggest emotional punch for me, and the Japanese version just nails it. The way the English dub handled the last two episodes of the first season is just ... Horrible (in my opinion). It also wasn't cool that there were several missing episodes in the English dub. There was one episode that dealt with Sailor Venus' character development shortly after she joined the group. It's a wonderful episode, and it's sad that it was never released in America (and it probably wasn't released because it was a more somber episode)!

I mean, Sailor Moon has always had a camp factor (which is part of Sailor Moon's appeal), but the Japanese version didn't stray away from the more serious and intense moments either, and when Sailor Moon gets serious and emotional, it doesn't mess around! It's sad (to me) that the dub took away the punch from a lot of those moments.

The single-greatest moment in all of Sailor Moon, in my opinion, is in episode 46, after Endymion/Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask dies. Before they went into the big battle against The Dark Kingdom, the Sailor Senshi discussed their teenage dreams; about their first kisses and boyfriends, and whatnot. After an entire season of her being a selfish and klutzy crybaby, and after all of her friends die, Sailor Moon stops herself from kissing Endymion goodbye because she didn't want to reward herself with something that her friends couldn't have at this point.

That's powerful stuff for a cartoon show targeted to young girls. It's such a shame that the original English dub had no interest in keeping this kind of stuff intact. I'm looking forward to seeing how the new dub handles this.

When I saw the R movie for the first time, at age 12-13, it honestly blew my mind away. "This is a Sailor Moon I've never seen before, and it's amazing" was my first thought while watching the R movie in Japanese for the first time.

I enjoyed the original English dub at the time I was discovering the show, but it's something that I've just never been able to come back to. Turning Sailor Uranus and Sailor Neptune into cousins didn't convince me to watch the dub again, either. :p

Yes, the final battle in the dub was well-done. "Carry On" is a good song too. :D

Even though I doubt it since they are following the manga closer this time, I hope the Inners get more screen time and arent pushed to the background if we get past the first season.

I honestly wouldn't mind if Sailor Moon Crystal followed a similar formula as Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (the live action Japanese TV drama). PGSM gave each Inner their time to shine. I feel that PGSM is the best version of Sailor Moon when it comes to the character development of the Senshi.

Also, I would be very happy if the Generals were given a lot of time in the upcoming anime (and that they are Endymion's guardians). That's something from the manga that I would love to see in anime. :)

I liked the Generals being Endymion's guardians in the manga as well, and would like to see that in SMC.

I want to see some of the character development from the old anime kept too. In the manga, a lot of the villains didn't get much character development, they'd just get killed off quickly...

as long as there's lots of Mina, I'll be happy!! :o :oldrazz:

I've been hoping with the new anime announced, we'd see the original, unedited version come out in some capacity here in the States. I loved that we got the manga in it's original form, so it's cool that we're getting the anime. I only hope it's not incredibly expensive (I've noticed the price of anime has gone up in the last few years quite a large amount). I've always been fascinated by the magical girl genre, and this is obviously the crown jewel. It's been so long since I've seen the anime, too. My memory is somewhat spotty.

Cool that the new anime is getting simulcast via Hulu Plus, too. Means I won't have to wait a long time to see it, or have to pirate a subpar copy.

so will the Outer Senshis like Saturn be part of the new series down the road?

It's been a while since I watched the show, but an arc that I loved in the original was that of Molly and Nephrite falling in love.

0.jpg

Sailor Moon was the first anime I ever watched, way before I knew of anime. It was just another cartoon Id watch after school. I think I was younger than 10 when I watched the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"