Sailor Moon: Crystal

Damn, never heard of crunchy roll. New username and password coming up.

ETA: Joined up, hopefully this video starts soon.

Last edited:
Wow, I really enjoyed that, I was kind of embarrassed at how much I enjoyed it, but I did.

I can't remember how much of it was exactly like the original Episode 1x1. I was surprised to see Amy there in the first episode, was not sure if she knew who she was, but at the end the rain scared her, and she has water powers, so probably yes.

Damn that was really, really, really good.

Damian was wearing his "tuxedo" clothes already when talking to Usagi (in the original anime he is wearing this green blazer, black turtle neck and khakis). I've never read the manga but I'm assuming that was more in line with what he was wearing there.

Overall though I felt like it was a really good introductory episode and the whole "memories lost but not completely forgotten" theme was done quite well. The animation was absolutely gorgeous and while it'll get some taking used to the new transformation the music is absolutely perfect.

Last edited:
I just went over the first chapter in the manga and it was all but 1 or 2 pages a page by page recreation.

That was incredible. The animation is drop dead gorgeous. I really loved it and I can’t wait for the next episode (AMI!!!)! Everything was beautiful and it was all around just amazing and I can’t really form coherent thoughts right now, so that is all I am going to say about it…

the two eps (sailor moon crystal vs. sailor moon original) were very similar - almost to a t.

after rewatching, some of the differences are:
1.) original is a lot more 'cartoony'. lots of huge eyes and hearts and exclamation points, etc.
2.) queen beryl shows up
3.) luna is a lot more mean in crystal (ex: she scratches usagi multiple times)
4.) in crystal, usagi goes into the arcade to play the sailor v game
5.) tuxedo mask uses his rose to help save sailor moon in the original

I am a VERY happy Sailor Moon fan right now. :up: The first episode was pretty much exactly what I expected: a really pretty-looking remake of the original anime and the manga blended together (with more influence from the manga). I am so excited for next week's episode, because of Ami being introduced. I'm glad there won't be a lot of filler this time around, and that we'll get all of the Senshi relatively quickly.

Sailor Moon Crystal also met my expectations with the comedy. The original anime's comedy (at least when comparing the first episodes) was a lot funnier, in my opinion. I did giggle quite a bit when Usagi fell down the stairs on her bum though. :D

I have to say that it's wonderful that Mitsuishi Kotono is back to reprise her role as Sailor Moon. She has been doing this voice for over 20 years now, and her voice hasn't aged a single bit!

Also, I can't help but notice this: I am a really big fan of Revolutionary Girl Utena (seriously, if you are a fan of Sailor Moon, and are interested in watching a magical girl show with more mature themes, I can't recommend this anime enough). There were a lot of things about the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal that reminded me so much of Utena's art direction. For example, when a new character was introduced, there would be a frame of flowers around them (just like in Utena), and with the title cards showcasing Sailor Moon's silhouette (also very much like Utena). I find this funny, because one of the directors of the original Sailor Moon anime, Kunihiko Ikuhara, was the brain behind the Revolutionary Girl Utena anime.

Because I'm a dork, I'll provide a side-by-side comparison of Sailor Moon Crystal and Utena:

144cgwi.jpg

tumblr_mxyk6wVMXp1qcga5ro1_500.gif

The first ep was a really spot-on adaptation of the first chapter of the manga! There's a lot of scenes that match shot-for-shot, with a couple embellishments like [BLACKOUT]Usagi's dream[/BLACKOUT]. [BLACKOUT]I kinda wanted Tuxedo Mask to throw roses like he did in the 90s anime even though I know he didn't do that in the manga at all lol[/BLACKOUT]

The OP and ED are awesome and the OP's lyrics are awesome too. I'm glad they were able to translate the song lyrics.

Some of the subtitles seemed a bit off.

[BLACKOUT]happy they have the Sailor V game in there, plz make an actual one[/BLACKOUT]

I also saw the next-ep preview (apparently it's only on niconico's version :o) and they kept the sign-off phrase "The moonlight is a message of love" (which is in my sig, it's the Japanese text XD) which I liked.

And yeah Leenie I did notice the Utena-esque art in the title cards, I really liked that.

guh why do we have to wait every two weeks for new episodes Toei are doinks I want to see Ami-chan

In conclusion,

tumblr_lgdexxkJJD1qe8we7o1_250.gif

Also if anyone wants a Crunchyroll premium pass please PM me with your email address

Last edited:
It was good and enjoyable. Some characters got design upgrades like Usagis lil brother and her teacher. I know Usagis mom has had blue hair forever but I wouldn't mind if they gave her a more dirty blonde look.

Ami being there in the end was great. It's going to be so weird not possibly having the 7 rainbow crystals or whatever that we had in the original to make up the silver crystal.

Didn't dig the use of 3D but thought that the concept was pretty damn good. They should have kept the same transformation but using a more subtle 3D/Animation hybrid for it instead of a PS1 cinematic scene.

I still find it beautiful for the most part but some of the 3D did stick out. I'll need to see it in HD to give my full opinion. Overall though I'm loving the reverence towards the illustrations from the manga.
I agree. Really like the concept, not happy with some of the animation choices.

My overall first impression of the show is a very positive one. I know that some of the creative decisions behind the show so far have caused a little bit of a stir among the fandom (which is fine; I don't expect every fan to be happy with every single thing), but this first episode screamed "effort" to me. I can tell that there's a lot of love being put into this, for both the fans of the manga and the original anime. This show was delayed for 2 years, right? Those 2 years of extra time show, in my opinion. I'm glad this wasn't a project that was rushed out just for the sake of rushing it out.

As for some of the use of the CG, I'm okay with it. I thought the transformation was gorgeous, even with the CG. I feel that it modernized the transformation sequence while still paying respect to the original anime. For me, the only part of the transformation that felt a little awkward was her pose at the end (but that's a minor nitpick, really). Also, not gonna lie: I may or may not have gasped in awe during the transformation when the ribbons burst out of her brooch. So pretty!

I also saw the next-ep preview (apparently it's only on niconico's version :o) and they kept the sign-off phrase "The moonlight is a message of love" (which is in my sig, it's the Japanese text XD) which I liked.

I watched it on Hulu (it was just easier for me to access, since I use Hulu anyway). Yeah, I didn't get the preview for the next episode. I'm okay with not seeing it though, since I kind of want to keep this show fresh throughout its entirety, and that I don't see any clips for future episodes. It fills me with joy to hear they kept "The moonlight is the message of love" phrase, though! :awesome: :hrt:

Also, can we talk about the lyrics to the opening song, "Moon Pride"?

Shiny Make Up!
We are gonna shine bright
Under the starry sky
We are not helpless girls
Who need men's protection!

These lyrics are giving me LIFE. I know there have always been arguments of whether Sailor Moon is either a feminist series or a misogynistic series, but I've always viewed it as very feminist. Sailor Moon has always been unapologetically girly, and it has always taken very feminine symbols such as makeup, skirts, and high heels, and saying they're symbols of strength and power! The way both men and women use the word "feminine" a lot of the time is used in a negative or insulting connotation. Sailor Moon has never ever done that, and it has never insulted the more "masculine" characters either (like Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Uranus). It's stuff like this that has always made Sailor Moon a special series for me as a girl who has always loved both masculine and feminine things (why can't I be a girl who cheers and shouts at football games and who also styles her hair and wears makeup?). I can't think of better lyrics to describe why I think the Sailor Soldiers are great superheroes. :)

In short, Girl Power! I love it! :awesome:
tumblr_n88j11xcbC1ts7zcto1_r1_500.gif

"Moonlight Densetsu" will always hold the #1 spot in my heart (because that song is so iconic), but I'm loving "Moon Pride" the more I listen to it, too. It's such upbeat music for such a vibrant and kinetic animated opening.

It's been a while since I've read the manga, but didn't Sailor Moon used to have a mask like Sailor V's that she threw off every time she transformed? I know it hardly matters; I just wanted to see that.

Anyway, that was a really good first episode. It was basically the first part of the manga and the first anime's first episode all over again, and it was a great adaptation. Looking forward to the next episode in a couple of weeks.

I actually don't like most of the new art when it's shown as images, but it seems to work better when it's flowing, in animation.

Also, can we talk about the lyrics to the opening song, "Moon Pride"?

Shiny Make Up!
We are gonna shine bright
Under the starry sky
We are not helpless girls
Who need men's protection!

These lyrics are giving me LIFE. I know there have always been arguments of whether Sailor Moon is either a feminist series or a misogynistic series, but I've always viewed it as very feminist. Sailor Moon has always been unapologetically girly, and it has always taken very feminine symbols such as makeup, skirts, and high heels, and saying they're symbols of strength and power! The way both men and women use the word "feminine" a lot of the time is used in a negative or insulting connotation. Sailor Moon has never ever done that, and it has never insulted the more "masculine" characters either (like Sailor Jupiter and Sailor Uranus). It's stuff like this that has always made Sailor Moon a special series for me as a girl who has always loved both masculine and feminine things (why can't I be a girl who cheers and shouts at football games and who also styles her hair and wears makeup?). I can't think of better lyrics to describe why I think the Sailor Soldiers are great superheroes. :)

In short, Girl Power! I love it! :awesome:
tumblr_n88j11xcbC1ts7zcto1_r1_500.gif

"Moonlight Densetsu" will always hold the #1 spot in my heart (because that song is so iconic), but I'm loving "Moon Pride" the more I listen to it, too. It's such upbeat music for such a vibrant and kinetic animated opening.

That's such a cute image.

I wasn't posting on forums in the late 1990s, so I don't know of any of the feminism vs misogyny arguments that were made. If you can link to any competent articles written, that would be great.

There's a few issues I'll just point out anyway from my vantage point of ignorance:
- The show is Japanese so it's problematic for people from English-speaking countries to analyse. Whether it's feminist should first be analysed relative to the norms of Japanese society, which are different;
- The show came out in the 1990s, where within the west the "career woman" was the feminist ideal, it wasn't cool to be feminine. That made sense because the first generation of women to succeed had to behave like men in order to survive, and they were then in their late 40s and early 50s, i.e. in leadership positions;

At the end of the day ...

A (male) friend of mine has a young daughter, and he pointed out to me a while back that the only show with a female protagonist is some show about a pig. So it will be good for there to be a dub of the new show.

I wonder what they're going to do about modernising Melvin. In the original dub, he talked a lot about knowing things from the internet, which reflected how the internet was extremely nerdy before it went mainstream in the late 1990s. Will he have the same lines?

I actually don't like most of the new art when it's shown as images, but it seems to work better when it's flowing, in animation.

That's such a cute image.

I wasn't posting on forums in the late 1990s, so I don't know of any of the feminism vs misogyny arguments that were made. If you can link to any competent articles written, that would be great.

There's a few issues I'll just point out anyway from my vantage point of ignorance:
- The show is Japanese so it's problematic for people from English-speaking countries to analyse. Whether it's feminist should first be analysed relative to the norms of Japanese society, which are different;
- The show came out in the 1990s, where within the west the "career woman" was the feminist ideal, it wasn't cool to be feminine. That made sense because the first generation of women to succeed had to behave like men in order to survive, and they were then in their late 40s and early 50s, i.e. in leadership positions;

At the end of the day ...

A (male) friend of mine has a young daughter, and he pointed out to me a while back that the only show with a female protagonist is some show about a pig. So it will be good for there to be a dub of the new show.

I don't have any articles to post about the subject, but I do remember reading the "feminist" debate about the material in the late 90's. During that time period, I was very heavily into the Sailor Moon fandom (I even ran a couple of AOL Mailing Lists; ah, memories!). I read through and participated in several different kinds of discussion about the topic of feminism vs misogyny in Sailor Moon.

I can see why the West had an issue in the 90's about how feminine/girly Sailor Moon was. The 90's marked as a second big wave of feminism in the West, with women stepping into the career world. I always disagreed with the standpoint that Sailor Moon wasn't a feminist show/comic, because the way a lot of people view feminism now is how I've always viewed it: "Do your own thing, ladies. Be feminine or be masculine. Do whatever makes your feel happy or empowered." Sailor Moon has always portrayed this notion in my opinion, which is part of the reason why I've always resonated with it.

I have a lot of friends who decided to watch Sailor Moon Crystal today, without having seen the original anime or read the manga. The response from them has been overwhelmingly positive. Lots of phrases like "Why didn't I watch this show as a kid?!" have been tossed around my circle of friends, and I'm loving it. :)

tumblr_n899o9Cez81spqz1qo1_250.jpg
tumblr_n899o9Cez81spqz1qo7_250.jpg

Biggest makeover thus far.

I like the makeover! I feel like the more subdued colors of her character design in this show make her look considerably older than Usagi (which is necessary, in my opinion). I feel the same way about Ikuko/Usagi's mom. I love that Ikuko has blue eyes in this show instead of brown ... Usagi actually looks quite related to her mom now. :)

I like it as well, it was a nice surprise while watching it.

Even though I doubt it, I would love it if this continues past the first season, if they don't basically drop Serenas family and maybe outs her to them sometime. Majority of the regular supporting cast gets dropped later on in the initial series.

I always got the vague impression Haruna couldn't be the teeniest bit over 19 in the old anime. I know she had to be older, but she didn't come off as more than a few years older than Usagi.

Some of y'all better stop saying names like Serena and Darien, because you're never gonna hear those names again in the anime.

Dub cast has been announced:
Stephanie Sheh as Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon
Kate Higgins as Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury
Cristina Vee as Rei Hino/Sailor Mars
Amanda C. Miller as Makoto Kino/Sailor Jupiter
Cherami Leigh as Minako Aino/Sailor Venus
Robbie Daymond as Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask
Michelle Ruff as Luna
Johnny Yong Bosch as Artemis
Danielle Nicole as Naru Osaka
Ben Diskin as Gurio Umino
Tara Platt as Ikuko Tsukino
Keith Silverstein as Kenji Tsukino
Nicolas Roye as Shingo Tsukino
Cindy Robinson as Queen Beryl
Todd Haberkorn as Jadeite
Liam O'Brien as Nephrite
Lucien Dodge as Zoicite
Patrick Seitz as Kunzite

Pre-orders for part one of the first season's Blu-ray and DVD release will open soon with release scheduled for November 11. The Blu-ray box set will include three Blu-rays, a chipboard box with space for part two, and a collectible 88-page booklet filled with art, character profiles, episode guides. Video extras include an interactive art gallery, dub recording behind the scenes, announcement panel and fan reactions, hype trailer, clean opening and ending, and trailers.

Viz Media announced its license of all 200 episodes, the three feature films, and the assorted tie-in specials of the original Sailor Moon franchise and the new Sailor Moon Crystal anime series. The original series is streaming on Hulu and Viz's Neon Alley service. The company will also stream Sailor Moon Crystal as it airs in Japan along with Crunchyroll and Hulu. The series will premiere on July 5.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...r-moon-dub-cast-revealed-at-anime-expo/.76285

Some of y'all better stop saying names like Serena and Darien, because you're never gonna hear those names again in the anime.

tumblr_n6j5l6GvSN1twyshko1_400.gif

NEVER! I don't care if I never hear those names again, they will live on in my SM memory for LIFE.

You may want to put that this is the dub cast and info for the original series and not Crystal.

Well it may be for both. I doubt Viz is going to get together a whole new cast and use even more money when they have a cast that can be used for both.

tumblr_n899o9Cez81spqz1qo1_250.jpg
tumblr_n899o9Cez81spqz1qo7_250.jpg

Biggest makeover thus far.
That's a nice upgrade actually.

It's kind of cool that Serena has two biological mothers.

I like it as well, it was a nice surprise while watching it.

Even though I doubt it, I would love it if this continues past the first season, if they don't basically drop Serenas family and maybe outs her to them sometime. Majority of the regular supporting cast gets dropped later on in the initial series.
Melvin, Molly, Andrew, Serena's mom and little brother all disappeared later on in the show. Of course, I understand that it's hard to balance a big cast.

Those names will live on in my head :-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"