Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark

Punisher Rising

Mechanical Psychopath
Reaction score
Does anyone remember these books or has ever read them? I rented these years ago from the library and they're all very creepy and scary, especially read alone at night in the dark (try to do so during a storm for added effect). For kids' stories, they're pretty eerie and the illustrations are amazingly creepy. I forgot which my favorite story was, I loved so many of them and a few even managed to creep me out and I normally don't frighten easily.

always checked these out of the library in elementary school, they were pretty creepy for children's stories

Some of them were pretty grisly too, such as the one with the brothers and the scarecrow.

Some of them were pretty grisly too, such as the one with the brothers and the scarecrow.

"Harold" :woot:

[paraphrased last lines]

"and the last thing he saw as he looked to the roof was Harold, stretching out the skin in the noon day sun."

Yes I loved these and yeah, they are pretty frigtening for kids (which is a good thing).

That was the name, thanks :cool: I also rented the audio version of the books a few years back, it was pretty cool.

Ah yes, I remember reading these books a long time ago. Great stuff! I remember this image was practically burned into my brain.

wtf.gif

*Shudders*

That one is very disturbing and eerie, so is the one from The Wraith :eek:

OMG!! I used to have several of these books! Those illustrations + overactive imagination = many sleepless nights for me when I was 5! I remember the drawings more than the stories now. Very creepy.... :up:

Last edited:
The art in these books is both amazing and scary. I'll never forget my 4th grade teacher turning off all the main lights in the classroom and reading us the stories :woot:

My favorite one is still the "truck driver chasing a woman, but for a completely different reason than she thinks he is" story. Hookman is also a classic.

A lot of these stories are scarier than many Horror movies I've seen. A lot of the illustrations creeped me out when I read these books for the first time. I can't stress enough how these books need to be read in the dark and late at night, and even better if during a storm. Unbelievably eerie.

The one about the chick with spider eggs in her cheek haunts me to this day :(

The illustration to it was insane :wow:...if anyone can find it please post it

Does anyone remember these books or has ever read them? I rented these years ago from the library and they're all very creepy and scary, especially read alone at night in the dark (try to do so during a storm for added effect). For kids' stories, they're pretty eerie and the illustrations are amazingly creepy. I forgot which my favorite story was, I loved so many of them and a few even managed to creep me out and I normally don't frighten easily.

THANKYOU!!!! I have been wondering the name of this book series for months because the stories were so awesome and now I know it!

THANKYOU!!!! I have been wondering the name of this book series for months because the stories were so awesome and now I know it!

My pleasure, good luck finding them and enjoy them again if you find them :)

Oh crap....you had to remind me of that one!! I had a terrible fear of spiders when I read that (well....I still do....) and that story freaked the ever-lovin' crap out of me!!

LOVE these books. Still have one around, I think. Might be the third one.

sc27zy8.jpg

The art for the story "Harold" we talked about earlier.

I know Punisher Rising will love this one :woot:

Thanks, I love that drawing :D Also the one from The Thing, THAT is creepy beyond belief :eek:

I remember a similiar story, dunno what book it's in though. A boy decided to sleep outside on a nice night, woke up with a terrible itch that kept getting worse and worse. By the time he was in the hospital he starting tearing the flesh off his cheeks, and there were hundreds of spider eggs in the flesh. Pretty sure it's called "The Itch"

Stuff like that gives me the heebie jeebies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"