• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated

My Review

mystery_incorporated-300x168.jpg

Let’s be honest, the last Scooby series, Shaggy and Scooby Doo: Get A Clue! was one big pile of Scooby Poo. Not only did it stray away from the mystery solving, everything from the animation to the voice acting made Scrappy Doo look like the best character ever created. Thankfully, Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated is the complete opposite, bringing Scooby and the gang back to their roots with a generally spooky first episode.​

After being jailed for solving another mystery, Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy, and Scooby decide to investagate a slime mutant who’s terrorizing the sewers of Crystal Cove. The gang receives resistance from the local law enforcement and their parents ,however, who want to use the strange happenings of the town as a tourist attraction. Meanwhile, the gang receive a call from a mysterious “Mr. E”, who tells them they’ve uncovered a even bigger mystery…one that should have remained hidden.​

Cartoon Network really did a fantastic job here trying to capture the spirt of the original 25 episode run while bringing something new to the table. Mystery Incorporated acts like a sequel/reboot to the original series. The spookier tone from Scooby Doo! Where Are You! and Scooby Doo on Zombie Island has been brought back. The villian is actually pretty creepy and the humor is slightly darker than the previous couple series{Fred steals a body in one hilarious scene}. One thing I really like is that Mystery Incorporated will have a over arcing storyline throughout the season instead of just standalone mysteries. Something that hasn’t been done since the 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo. The animation is simple yet is effective. While I wish it was a bit more like Scooby Doo! Abracadara Doo, it is decemt amd is miles better than Get A Clue’s animation style.​

There is also a attempt to expand on the gang’s personalities. Shaggy and Velma are dating. Daphne is pining is for Fred, who is completely oblivious due to be obsessed with trap making. Which leads me to one gripe with this episode: Shaggy not wanting to tell Scooby about his and Velma’s relationship for fear of upsetting their friendship. I thought this was rather dumb. And while I don’t mind it, I do hope Fred being oblivious doesn’t last throughout the entire season. There are some small changes to continuity like the gang’s hometown is now Crystal Cove instead of Coolsville. The Gang’s parents are now different from previous incarnations. Fred’s dad is now the Mayor of Crystal Cove. I think these changes actually work for the series. “Coolsville” may have sounded too silly for the spooky tone they are going for.​

With some decent animation and a good spooky mystery, Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated is off to a good start. The series is a breath of fresh air after the horrendous Shaggy and Scooby Doo: Get A Clue!. If the first episode is any indication, I think this has the potential to be one of the best Scooby series to date and look forward to seeing more. The real mystery has just begun.​
ep1_001.jpg

ep1_008.jpg

ep1_017.jpg

ep1_002.jpg

ep1_003.jpg

Last edited:
I had heard there was going to be a new Scooby Doo show a while ago, but I brushed it off assuming it wouldn't be worth checking out (the only Scooby project I can honestly say I really loved was Zombie Island, nothing before or after that has made a lasting impression on me since I saw that movie).

I happened to be watching CN last night for a brief, channel-surfing moment, when I saw a teaser for this new show. With Shaggy and Velma on a date. I've always thought they'd be cute together, so I decided I wanted to check out this show and sought out the pilot ep.

I loved it!

Having them be a few years younger (teens again), giving (some of) them some personality upgrades (Shaggy being smart and willingly participating and seeking out clues, Velma having a little bit of sassy-ness to her and eager to get her romance with Shaggy going, are a couple of examples), showing the crew as an annoyance to the locals and being underappreciated, seeing their familes (all of them seem to come from money), the darker humor (which I found funnier than the usual slapstick), and the implication that the show will have an ongoing storyline...it's just want I've always wanted in a Scooby Doo show.

I'm hooked!

The
Drowsy Gator Hotel
Pool - Food - Sundries!

:lmao:

I'm actually impressed w/ this show. I just happened upon it the other day and sat down to watch it. Really good stuff. It has the feel of the original. Only thing I don't like is Daphne swooning over Fred. I never understood why she hung out w/ them but if it's to get w/ Fred I'd think Daphne would be more subtle about it.

Love this show. Glad they added the adult humor and in-jokes, like the teacher getting **** for income lol

I still chuckle every time I think of Fred grabbing one of the bodies and shouting "Shaggy, start the car!" as they run from the police.

And good lord, the hotel owner in one of the preview clips in Sam Fisher's link was funny as hell. The humor on this show is pretty dark.

The jokes in the preview aren't far off from that.

"Rule number 2: Stay in your rooms no matter what you hear. That includes screams, moans, wails, pounding, clawing, scratching, and anything that sounds like a body being dragged across a hardwood floor."

"I got a few rules...boys and girls in separate rooms...no exceptions."
Velma: "Well, I guess I'm with you, Daphne."
"I said, NO EXCEPTIONS!"

Velmas hotter than Daphne in this show :o

The Dog Dies! :eek: :hehe: Loved that bit.

Okay, I'm going to watch this show judging by reaction in here.

A couple reports from the Comic Con panel{here and here}

Thee first season is 26 episodes, with an over-arching mystery arc which will be resolved at the end of the season.
The Hex Girls appear in episode 7.
Vincent Van Ghoul will appear in severl episodes. Vincent Van Ghoul is Shaggy and Scooby's favorite horror movie star in this incarnation.
The producers borrowed from various versions of the show, but mostly from Scooby Doo Where Are You!.
Ruby/Spears were really impressed with the episodes they saw.
Matthew Lillard wants to be the ongoing voice of Shaggy if they let him.

I like this show! I love how they actually have an ongoing plot instead of the same old "new town, new monster" every episode. I like the "Shagma" romance, I thought I'd never see that one. I've always liked Scooby Doo, I feel it's a franchise that will NEVER die, yet I'll always stand by it.

I like the show, but I do have a few complaints.

1: I know that they're doing more emphasis on character development (which I think is absolutely wonderful), but Scooby seems to be getting significantly less screen time for the title character. That just seems kind of weird for me.

2: Too much Mr. E. Not that I have anything against the series having a myth arc. I also think that's a brilliant idea. But I think it would have a bit more impact if it wasn't referenced in every episode. Also, the fact that in the last two episodes, Mr. E played a big part in them solving the case, it just makes them look like worse detectives then they are.

Other than that, pretty good.

This is the best version of Scooby-Doo since the original 1960's Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!

Completely agreed! Where Are You is my all my favorite cartoon show.

The previous one before this was awful, glad to have the original format back. Matt Lilliard is the perfect replacement for Casey Casem, I actually didn't realize it was him till I saw last week's episode and remembered that Casey retired last year.

I like how they remain in their original clothing but I did "lol" at the fact that a present day Fred still wears bell bottoms and an ascot...not that I'm complaining! Also there's something about Fred's eyes that look funny lol but overall I like this show. It's my favorite on CN along with Adventure Time and Chowder.

I still watch Scooby Doo Movies and Scooby: WRU from time to time on Boomarang.

Anyone catching the Hanna Barbera cameos? A teenaged Pebbles and Bam Bam appeared in tonight's episode.

YES! I noticed. And on the very first episode there was a character designed to look like Don Knotts. Love those little things.

Love all the little references here and there. The Pebbles and BamBam, Brenda/Dylan. Cant wait to see whoelse shows up.

Big fan of this show. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"