Scorsese To Direct A Sinatra Film?

I don't get why people are saying Leo is dumb and is only picking "Oscar bait" films.

He's smart and doesn't want to do bad films. And I doubt he never thinks, "Wow, this will get me an Oscar!" when he reads the script. No wonder his career has been great. He's made smart choices into doing GOOD movies.

He clearly focused on working with the best actors and directors. The result of doing that will be a consistent string of high quality movies. The only difference is that Leo has been able to do that practically his whole career when most actors take a while to figure it out.

I don't get why people are saying Leo is dumb and is only picking "Oscar bait" films.

He's smart and doesn't want to do bad films. And I doubt he never thinks, "Wow, this will get me an Oscar!" when he reads the script. No wonder his career has been great. He's made smart choices into doing GOOD movies.

I don't get it either. I think they sometimes get him mixed up with Sean Penn.

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/05/martin-scorsese-wants-al-pacino-robert.html

5/24/2010

Martin Scorsese Wants Al Pacino & Robert De Niro To Play Frank Sinatra & Dean Martin In Upcoming Biopic

While doing press rounds for "Shutter Island" which only opened in India this past weekend, Martin Scorsese spoke with national newspaper The Hindu and took the opportunity to talk about one of his many gestating projects, a biopic of American music icon Frank Sinatra.

As we previously reported, the director has noted that Sinatra's life is epic, making the straightforward biopic particularly difficult, and Scorsese is hoping an approach with a few actors playing the singer at various points in his life will allow him an entry into the story saying, "We can’t go through the greatest hits of Sinatra’s life. We tried this already. Just can’t do it. So the other way to go is to have three or four different Sinatras. Younger. Older. Middle-aged. Very old. You cut back and forth in time – and you do it through the music. See what I’m saying? So that’s what we’re trying for. It’s very tricky [laughs]."

While names like Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire and Brad Pitt have been batted around as actors Scorsese would love to work with at some point (though none of them have officially been offered anything at this point), it looks like the director already has his wishlist sorted out for who will play the older incarnations of Sinatra and Dean Martin: "I'm yet to spot the actor who can bring back Frank Sinatra alive on screen. My choice is Al Pacino, and Robert De Niro as Dean Martin."

Um, holy ****. While it's obviously only dream casting at this point, that would make a helluva duo to play the singers in the later stages of their career. We're a little unsure about Pacino, but in the same interview, Scorsese says he's the only actor who match De Niro's talents. At the very least, if he does get cast surely Scorsese can get him to tone down the "hoo-ha" for the part.

However, until a concrete script and cast come together for this, the film will just be one of many -- including "The Irishman," "Silence," a couple of down-and-dirty street movies, a handful of documentaries -- that remain on Scorsese's slate of projects. There's no word on when this will go in front of cameras, but if a script gets locked in that Scorsese likes and that meets with the approval of the various estates involved, it could rapidly move up the pecking order for the director. Scorsese, meantime, is set to begin work next month in Paris on his first 3D film, "Hugo Cabret," starring Chloe Moretz, Asa Butterfield, Sacha Baron Cohen and Ben Kingsley.

Have you seen You Don't Know Jack? Pacino is amazing in it. This coming from someone who absolutely loathes most his work after the 70's.

i've heard he's pretty good.

I think he's been good in the 80s and 90s but in the 2000s, he just outright sucked. But I'm not counting him out yet. I guess I miss the young non-coked-out smooth talking handsome Pacino of the 70s again.

Great chance to get back on track for both actors but I'm not sure about using different actors for different stages of their lives, I say Button em!

If I had a nickel for every time Scorsese made a biopic starring Leo DiCaprio where the main character has a relationship with Ava Gardner I'd have two nickels. Which isn't a lot but it's weird that it happened twice.

Kidding aside, Leo as Sinatra is pretty good casting.

Can Leo sing? I know that they don’t always get actors to sing in musician biopics but Frank is one of my all-time favorites and I would hope that any actor playing him can do some crooning.

Can Leo sing? I know that they don’t always get actors to sing in musician biopics but Frank is one of my all-time favorites and I would hope that any actor playing him can do some crooning.

......Yeah, he'll probably be lip syncing. :o

I feel like Scorsese needs to switch up that casting a bit. 15+ years on and he’s still stuck on Leo? What era of Sinatra’s life are we going for here??

Scorsese has been trying to make this biopic for decades .

The great “what if” in the late 90s when Tom Hanks was attached as Dean Martin, John Travolta as Frank Sinatra and Jim Carrey as Jerry Lewis. It would’ve been gigantic circa that time.

Do the right thing and step aside, Leo. :o

Get out of here with your logic. :o

Honestly I think that both choices are good, Mike Faist for a younger Frank (bonus points for being able to sing and probably pull off the songs himself with no lip syncing needed) and DiCaprio as an older Frank. Funny enough, Frank was married to Ava Gardner from the time he was 36 until they divorced when he was 42, which is pretty much right smack in the middle of Faist and Leo's ages.

I think Biopics don't need to behold themselves to strong resemblances in their actors. The strength of the performance should carry the weight.

(But if you go too outside the box, then you have to deal with some probably unnecessary discourse and etc...)

So yeah, I don't mind Leo not looking at all like Franky.

I'd say there's a passing resemblance between Leo and middle aged Frank. I can actually see more of a resemblance between them than some of the other real people DiCaprio's played like Frank Abagnale, J. Edgar Hoover or Jordan Belfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"