Ms. Marvel Season 1, Episode 2 "Crushed" (Spoiler Thread)

I loved, loved, this episode.

At the beginning when they played Puffy & Ma$e I was like
FF25C2CC-7BC7-4380-8DDB-108CB1C3BE1B.gif

And then they played the Ronnettes and that was a cute scene lol.

But I’m totally invested in Kamala’s story and where this goes. Cool to see Tyesha is a black Muslim too and Kamala’s family being accepting of her. Very interested to see how Nakia’s arc plays out also.

Really digging this show.

Them playing Jalebi Baby is on point. Also funny because they had Simu Liu dancing to it a while back in Toronto.

Am In this weird place, where I like everyone but the main character and her best friend. I'm enjoying the ideas, the supporting cast, the general look and aesthetic outside of the godawful powers. But I don't like Kamala or her friend. :funny:

Oh look, typical Marvel Studios queer representation...

I am so happy this episode had a lot of Nakia. The early comics didn't have a whole lot of her, as it was mainly Kamala and Bruno working together. Loved seeing her take a bigger role, as well as doing a good job at establishing the friendship between the three, and not just their connection to Kamala.

I really am enjoying the show. However, the wholesale lifting of stuff from the comic is getting annoying. With all the changes, shifting the context of a lot of these scenes and lines is really bugging me. Add in that the comic creators are absolutely getting no compensation for it, it just sucks.

While part of me is glad to see them acknowledge racism in law enforcement, I just know this is going to be a Winter Soldier situation. Where it is "evil group has infiltrated law enforcement" situation, where only those part of the evil organization are to blame for the sins, not law enforcement themselves. Good job, they get a cookie for acknowledging that the FBI watches mosques. Actually say its a bad thing.

Am In this weird place, where I like everyone but the main character and her best friend. I'm enjoying the ideas, the supporting cast, the general look and aesthetic outside of the godawful powers. But I don't like Kamala or her friend. :funny:

Not liking Iman Vellani's Kamala is like not liking Gizmo.

Fair call on Bryan though.

Not liking Iman Vellani's Kamala is like not liking Gizmo.

Fair call on Bryan though.
Gizmo doesn't have resting, "I'm a privileged kid" face, while complaining about being put upon, while just living a very normal upper class teen existence with an amazing family. I definitely wasn't prepared to be put off by her. What I saw from her before the show started had me hyped. Her cousin and her plight felt far more inline with how I expected to feel about her.

Maybe it's the writing so far. In the Avengers game, I adored the kid, same with the original comics.

Kind of funny how Kingo will seemingly be the Eternal most referenced in other properties (he'll also be referenced in another upcoming thing on D+).

I also think I may have a decent idea of what general form the villain(s) take this season. However, since it involves a rumor that could potentially come from a leak, as well as some knowledge I have of the comic I'll put it in spoiler tags
I know that in the comics, Kamran works for Gordon Nobili, AKA Lineage. Lineage is another newly transformed Inhuman who is also the head of the Nobili crime family (and his sons got Inhuman powers too) and recruited some more inhumans including Kamran. Lineage's power is that he can communicate with the souls of his inhuman ancestors and as such has vast amounts of knowledge at his disposal.

There was a rumor that in this show there would be an appearance of the Clan Destine. The Clan Destine is the family of Adam Destine, a man who was chosen by a female Iranian Djinn (a being that was also mentioned in episode 1), who he later found and freed when he took part in the crusades during the 12th century. The Djinn Elayth became his wife, made him immortal and all their descendants throughout the ages would obtain superpowers. The Clan Destine is not strictly villains, but more morally grey I'd say.

So we have two families led by a patriarch with vast knowledge of history, whose lineage causes all the descendants to gain powers. Both are at least not fully heroic, with one being explicitly criminal and the other at least being morally questionable. Both have a heavy emphasis on their family lineage and history. One appeared in the Ms. Marvel comic and is related to Kamran's true intentions. The other is tied to historical Islamic culture.

So I think the villain(s) in this season will likely take elements from both these superpowered family lineages. Which also ties in with what they're doing with Kamala's family history and ancestry being more important through her great-grandmother in the partition, etc.

Oh look, typical Marvel Studios queer representation...

I am so happy this episode had a lot of Nakia. The early comics didn't have a whole lot of her, as it was mainly Kamala and Bruno working together. Loved seeing her take a bigger role, as well as doing a good job at establishing the friendship between the three, and not just their connection to Kamala.

I really am enjoying the show. However, the wholesale lifting of stuff from the comic is getting annoying. With all the changes, shifting the context of a lot of these scenes and lines is really bugging me. Add in that the comic creators are absolutely getting no compensation for it, it just sucks.

While part of me is glad to see them acknowledge racism in law enforcement, I just know this is going to be a Winter Soldier situation. Where it is "evil group has infiltrated law enforcement" situation, where only those part of the evil organization are to blame for the sins, not law enforcement themselves. Good job, they get a cookie for acknowledging that the FBI watches mosques. Actually say its a bad thing.

Aren't they heavily involved in this show? G. Willow Wilson was praising Iman Vellani long before anyone else had seen the first two episodes.

Aren't they heavily involved in this show? G. Willow Wilson was praising Iman Vellani long before anyone else had seen the first two episodes.
Yeah and Sana Amanat is an executive producer on the show. Both also had characters named after them. The guidance counselor is called G(abe) Willow Wilson and Kamala's grandmother is called Sana A(li).

we've only seen one bangle. is it part of a pair? does the great grandmother have the other one and needs it back?

Nakia is a great addition to this show, and I hope her, and Kamala have more scenes together, because honestly, I think their friendship is far more interesting and compelling than seeing her with the other kid.

I also think Homecoming could have benefitted from this kind of low stakes storytelling which we didn't see enough of in that movie, because here it feels very natural and pretty much perfect.

Good episode. Really loving Iman in this role. Glad to have more Nakia this episode.

The power set really bothered me this episode because I feel like it's changed too much of the dynamic she had in the comics when she was discovering her powers.

Other than that, feel like all the actors are doing a really good job.

This show is working for me on many different levels. What stands out to me most though is that, even though it's not a terribly high bar to cross, this is probably the best looking of all the Disney+ MCU shows. Kamala's powers not always looking so great aside, it's always refreshing to see an MCU project that's not greenscreened to death.

You have no soul lol. She’s too adorable and likable for my blood, I hope we get a second season.

Liked just so I could unlike.

By the way, The Normies reaction confirms many of the mosque things happening in this episode. And they also have real Partition stories (starting around the 30 minutes mark). Side note, I really have to commend the Doctor Who episode on it, because we never handled it in our history lessons in school in Finland.

I actually have a question about future events for you Ms Marvel comic fans:

Are Kamala’s family all Inhumans or is it just her? Just curious because of the Great Grandma Aisha mystery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"