Ms. Marvel Season 1, Episode 2 "Crushed" (Spoiler Thread)

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
Good parenting is underrated...

i7CQOzy.gif

Not a lot happened until the end but to quote Kamala, DUDE! The world building this episode did was great. We got to know a lot about Kamala's friend Nakia, the local community and it's kliques. This episode accomplished a lot. Both Star Wars and Marvel shows delivered this week, I'm a happy shill consumer.

i'm not sure what's going on here.

great character.
great actors and actresses.
great storytelling.
great visuals.

the series so far has been a A+++ imho.

i'm watching the first 2 episodes with a smile permanently fixed on my face.

I know it's already too late, but I kinda wish Holland's Spider-Man got the Disney+ lowstakes treatment like Ms. Marvel. It would have fleshed out his character so much more.

he was thrust right into civil war and had these world effecting high stakes issues from the very beginning. his only everyday life as a high schooler was the first half of spiderman homecoming. and even that didn't have this much enthusiasm/innoncence/hope.

Yeah we only really got some of that in Homecoming (which is still the best one of the trilogy).

thoughts on why kamala hasn't told nakia yet?

Good Episode.
Better than the first imo, but pilot's always have to deal with laying the groundwork.
This one had the benefit of hitting the ground running.
Also really dug the Caltech shout out.
It's in my neck of woods.

The positive portrayal of Muslims and Islam in this episode is great. As I have stated previously, it's portrayal in Hollywood as evil and Muslims as terrorists I find completely boring because it happens in most movies and most TV shows that have law enforcement in them. Not to go off topic a bit, but the positive portrayal is shown a bit in FBI as one of the main leads is Muslim. He's not a Muslim FBI agent who is actually undercover on behalf of the terrorist group (as it happens in other Hollywood projects) but he's 100% a good guy. Now that show does go into "Islamic terrorists in New York City" and "so and so has ties to Al Qaeda" but they tread lightly when they do that, wanting to show two sides of the religion instead of the one side. Ms. Marvel shows the other side of the religion and to me, it's a breath of fresh air. This was something I was hoping for when promotion for this show began. My thinking was "she's from a Muslim family, I hope that they show the religion in a positive light for a change" and so far they have. It does help that they have a showrunner in Bisa K Ali who is Muslim and the directors are Muslim too. That helps a lot. Some of my favorite law enforcement shows fall to the trap of having episodes where Muslims are evil.

So kudos to Ms. Marvel for finally portraying Muslims in a positive light. Sure there will likely be more projects that show Muslims once again as terrorists and in a bad light (and I won't watch them), but having one project that shows the religion positively is a refreshing change and to me, it makes that project less boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"