Season 1, Episode 7: "Man of Steel" (SPOILERS)

Of course, good episode! With a nice twist. Luthor isnt the big "bad", a doppleganger of JHI/Steel is! But of course this Earths John is dead. How very Black Siren of him.

I'm going to assume that John/Lois's E? daughter will end up being Johns niece in Earth Prime.

As much as I'm happy to hear that we finally have a version of Steel on this show, was it really necessary to make him into Alex Luthor?

As much as I'm happy to hear that we finally have a version of Steel on this show, was it really necessary to make him into Alex Luthor?

Likely to throw people off more.

I wish Jesse Eisenberg would play Alex Luthor for a future Crisis.

Lois outsmarted the former Captain Luthor about her intentions involving the X-Kryptonite box.

It's funny, when Captain Luthor and his daughter were doing their engineering stuff, I did think that they look more like Natasha and JHI, but I didn't take it further than that. Well, now we know.

While this wasn't the strongest episode to date, it definitely had some worthy moments. The backstory of Alex was definitely an unexpected twist, Jordan focusing on his newly discovered super-hearing ability, Jonathan seemingly still coming into his own, Lois continuing her crusade. I have to say the David Ramsey did a hell of a job directing this episode.

I thought they were basically saying his name is actually John Henry Irons? As in he’s not actually a Luthor, the AI just thinks he is. I’m quite sure he was never actually called Luthor in the flashbacks. Seemed to me that was just to throw the audience off until this reveal - which is a relief to me, because him being a Luthor was never very compelling to me.

I thought they were basically saying his name is actually John Henry Irons? As in he’s not actually a Luthor, the AI just thinks he is. I’m quite sure he was never actually called Luthor in the flashbacks. Seemed to me that was just to throw the audience off until this reveal - which is a relief to me, because him being a Luthor was never very compelling to me.
That is correct. He's not Alex Luthor.

According to one of the show's writers on Twitter, early on in development when they were still breaking down the plan for the season in the writers room and before any scripts had actually been written, they considered having him be Alex Luthor from Earth-3, then one of their writer's assistants pitched having that as a misdirect and making him Steel from another Earth instead, and the room fell in love with that idea. So by the time they got around to writing the scripts and casting and all that, he was already planned to be Steel.

Clark couldn't see into the box with his x-ray vision, so it must've been lead-lined. Has he been exposed to X-K directly?
They opened the box right in front of him, and no effect.

kinda funny how not even he can tell Clark is Superman, tho
I wonder about that. Irons very deliberately refers to Superman as Kal-El, as if Irons is forcing himself to think of Superman as Not Clark.

We'll probably find out that John Henry Irons' best man Clark Kent was exposed to Black Kryptonite and got split into a completely humanlike good guy and a completely alien bad guy.

Also, I just rewatched and noticed that they're either digitally altering Tyler's normal suit, or they've made him a new black suit. The one he was wearing in the alt-Earth scene where he kills Lois (and of course the scene at the end where Irons sees him as the other Supes) doesn't have a collar, and the cape attachment is like his current one, and not the Elseworlds suit. They're probably just altering his regular suit like Snyder did for ZSJL, but Tyler DID say that Elseworlds suit barely fit him anymore because he'd put on some bulk since then, so maybe if we're gonna see a lot more of black suit Superman, they've made him a new one that's closer to his regular suit and not a variation of his SG one.

Also, I officially retract my question about the multiple Supermen. On first watch I thought we saw two of their faces and both were Supes, but now I realize those shots were of the same guy. So I assume those other Kryptonians are meant to just be Edge's army.

It's funny, when Captain Luthor and his daughter were doing their engineering stuff, I did think that they look more like Natasha and JHI, but I didn't take it further than that. Well, now we know.

Same. At first I thought they were just incorporating aspects of Steel into this alt version of Luthor. But it didn’t start to click until the mil officer asked Lois for clarification.

From the EW interview, it definitely looks like we’re gonna get a lot more and, if their initial plans hold, we’ll see an actual redemption arc.

This series continues to impress. True, some episodes have been stronger than others; but even the weaker ones are better than the typical CW/DC output. And “Man of Steel” was particularly engaging (especially the Stranger’s backstory).

Is this the first time that the (Crisis) “Multiverse” has been mentioned? Even so, they’re remaining strategically vague (keeping their options open?) in terms of how much Clark or Lois know/remember about the previous Earth-38 reality.

Finally, a nit. Or a question that someone might clarify: It seemed to me that the method the Stranger used to subdue Superman came across as confusing (if not a tad goofy). An RV’s headlights (plus some other work lamps) can render Supes helpless? :huh: Now as a nerd (familiar with canon), I figured the red-tinged light was probably “red sun radiation.” But would the average viewer know this? And given the opportunity for a quick exposition — for the benefit of non-nerds — the Strange just mentions “solar flares.” :huh:

And BTW, “red sun radiation” only robs Kryptonians of their powers; it doesn’t weaken like kryptonite.

I wonder why they just didn’t go with “green and glow-y” for the Superman ambush? Everyone and his uncle would know this is Supes’ infamous weakness. No confusion. And no explanation needed.

Great episode ,and a great twist which actually makes sense, and doesn't feel like a "twist for the sake of a twist".

Same. At first I thought they were just incorporating aspects of Steel into this alt version of Luthor. But it didn’t start to click until the mil officer asked Lois for clarification.

I had the same reaction as you. In hindsight, it explains why he wasn't bothered that Lois and Clark seemingly "knew" he was Lex Luthor, since he was just using the Captain Luthor identity as a cover the whole time.

This series continues to impress. True, some episodes have been stronger than others; but even the weaker ones are better than the typical CW/DC output. And “Man of Steel” was particularly engaging (especially the Stranger’s backstory).

Is this the first time that the (Crisis) “Multiverse” has been mentioned? Even so, they’re remaining strategically vague (keeping their options open?) in terms of how much Clark or Lois know/remember about the previous Earth-38 reality.

Finally, a nit. Or a question that someone might clarify: It seemed to me that the method the Stranger used to subdue Superman came across as confusing (if not a tad goofy). An RV’s headlights (plus some other work lamps) can render Supes helpless? :huh: Now as a nerd (familiar with canon), I figured the red-tinged light was probably “red sun radiation.” But would the average viewer know this? And given the opportunity for a quick exposition — for the benefit of non-nerds — the Strange just mentions “solar flares.” :huh:

And BTW, “red sun radiation” only robs Kryptonians of their powers; it doesn’t weaken like kryptonite.

I wonder why they just didn’t go with “green and glow-y” for the Superman ambush? Everyone and his uncle would know this is Supes’ infamous weakness. No confusion. And no explanation needed.

The Red Sun radiation, basically strips Clark of his powers making him mortal, So when John attacked him with the Hammer it hurt especially since the material used was powerful. He even said that the kinetic energy builds up with each contact hit. If the Boys didn't show us Superman would have died from that next hit.

I'm also back to being more sympathetic toward Jordan. I mean, not the "rushing to snap judgment about his brother and Sarah" part, but that's hardly out of the ordinary for a 14-year-old. But as someone who regularly gets migraines, I really felt for him with all the super-hearing and sensory overload stuff. Super-hearing is a power I would never, EVER want.

Yeah, I was completely fine with Jon's ranting at Jordan. But the slamming his fist in the stairs to hurt Jordan was a real dick move man.

The twist is great. I am totally on board with keeping Capt Luthor/John Irons in the cast. And I hope his daughter gets to join as well. That would be great.

Not gonna lie, I was totally expecting Lana to pick her friend to get Edge's attention off of her husband. I do look forward to seeing the full extent of what is up with that program.

Also, good to see Bitsie Tulloch's amazing mom voice with the "And this is never to leave this house" line.

Seeing with how the season has played out, I am curious about Nadria Tucker's complaints. As I don't think they have played out in the way she implied.

Not a fan of the twist. I am a fan Steel in the comics and have disliked how little he has been used, besides the c-level 90s Movie.

I like the actor , but the twist was typical CW "lets come up with twist while being hungover and sitting on the toilet ".

E2VijSlXIAArTIt

E2VijSnXIAMhlhQ

The Red Sun radiation, basically strips Clark of his powers making him mortal, So when John attacked him with the Hammer it hurt especially since the material used was powerful. He even said that the kinetic energy builds up with each contact hit. If the Boys didn't show us Superman would have died from that next hit.

Yes. But before that... dude basically just turned on the lights and Supes dropped -- weak and in pain. That's the classic kryptonite effect. Except it was from... the RV's headlights? :ebr: That's what I found weird. Again, why not set up a "kryptonite trap" so there'd be no confusion or need for explanation? The general audience would know that "green and glow-y" = bad news for Supes.

I wonder about that. Irons very deliberately refers to Superman as Kal-El, as if Irons is forcing himself to think of Superman as Not Clark.

We'll probably find out that John Henry Irons' best man Clark Kent was exposed to Black Kryptonite and got split into a completely humanlike good guy and a completely alien bad guy.

And not only referred to Superman as 'Kal-El,' but did so in Kryptonese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"