Season 1 / Episode 7: What If... Thor was an only child?

Discussion in 'What If...?' started by HammerDown, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Pennywise Registered

2. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

Loved the nod to Mark Mothersbaugh synth score from Ragnarok.

3. DarkKnight88 Registered

I read that too fast as What If Thor Was a Child! Then saw the image and thought we were in for some Big-style fun.

Venom 1988 likes this.
  4. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

5. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

I absolutely loved this episode.
    What a delightful little gem of pure joy. I laughed out loud and had a big smile in my face throughout.

Where to begin, firstly we finally got some well deserved levity sprinkled in the series, things were so dar and bleak but this really lifted the spirits. The episode was a blast, with so many nods, easter eggs, cameos… in fact this episode was basically what I kind of envisioned this whole “What If” concept to be.

Of course the biggest standout was this version of Thor and how Chris Hemsworth fired on all cylinders to delivers such an enjoyable and memorable take on the character, he was having the time of his life doing this and it showed. I actually thought everyone did a really good job, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston and Goldblum did great with what he had, even Kat Dennings…

So much to take in and appreciate. So this episode is a direct continuation of episode 3 and the ending basically sets everything moving forward. That was a pretty f’d up ending though, everything was nice and good, even the Watcher was genuinely happy but thing still ended in a sour note. I see the series and the pieces of the puzzle coming together and I think we’re in for a treat.

Slick, KaijuDude1992, Drizzle and 3 others like this.
  6. Hannibal75 Registered

This episode was hilarious. I loved the fact that every alien species in the MCU came to earth for Thor's party, Loki as a Frost Giant, Darcy and Howard being a couple, and of course the bonkers cliffhanger.

Also, we might have gotten blue balls with the Hulk-Wanda fight but we were rewarded this time with the glorious Thor-Carol brawl all over the planet. Let's hope we see something similar in a future movie.

Slick, KaijuDude1992, Drizzle and 5 others like this.
  7. BlackFox Need for Speed

Great episode, everyone was great in this and just having fun with it, loved the fight around the world with Thor v Carole, Darcy and Howard the Duck. :funny:

KaijuDude1992 and HammerDown like this.
  8. Cappe1990 New Member

9. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

This episode was 99% filler up until the last 5 seconds. For the most part, I just wasn’t feeling it. I was glad to see most of the actors came back to voice their characters though. This show has been pretty uneven, IMO. Each episode is a hit or a miss for me.

10. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

I feel like this episode was very much a welcome and refreshing palate cleanser after all the previous downer endings.

The levity was contagious. The score was 100% Ragnarok synthwave and it really bought even more life to the episode. Some of the jokes had me in stitches. There was romance which I actually enjoyed, the action with Thor vs Captain Marvel was pretty awesome and the adventure of discovering new interpretations of characters and what they where up too kept me invested.

The only drawback for me was there wasn’t really any palpable dramatic tension or real emotional weight/stakes. But I guess it’s part of the course with the nature of this episode. Had it delivered on that front as well and it would’ve been a 10/10 for me. Having said that I’m still very pleased with what we got.

I even think they managed to bring back Jane Foster successfully into the fold and slowly but steadily bring Captain Marvel to a better light. Also while Jane Foster has been involved with Thor, there seems to be seeds of something more with CM as well.

Slick, Drizzle and Venom 1988 like this.
  11. P Supreme Registered

This was the episode ive been waiting for and well it was forgettable aside from Frost Giant Loki looked great, thor playfully owning captain marvel and the ending i enjoyed, everything else was pointless. They managed to keep me invested for the ultron showdown. Another meh episode

#37 P Supreme, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  12. Zyraquis Registered

This is a pretty uneventful episode dragging on for too long. Thought he lied about or was not aware him causing destruction of another planet and there were some grave consequences but I thought wrong. That planet thing amounted to nothing like everything else. Unfortunately it is the weakest in the series for me despite star studded cameos.

13. First Avenger Registered

I think this is the best episode next to The Strange and T'challa ones. Definately the most bonkers, loved the Thor-Captain Marvel rivalry, Frost Loki and Howard were hilarious too! And this is the only episode which has a clear 'to be continued' feel to it, as I believe the cligfhanger will lead directly to the finale which I think will be a two-parter.

14. Detective Conan Registered

This episode was the very definition of forgettable pablum. Not bad, but not especially good either. Definitely a breather episode after the seriousness of the last few episodes, but I like that they used up a comedy episode to set up a super-serious one that comes after.

KRYPTON INC. and P Supreme like this.
  15. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

Well this was definitely the most fun episode so far. The stakes weren't very high apart from the cliffhanger ending but the jokes landed for the most part. I got a huge kick out of Frost Giant Loki and other gags like DJ Grandmaster and Surtur with the Statue of Liberty.

The voice acting was pretty on point all around, and Natalie Portman seemed to be having fun with it, which makes me all the more excited for Love and Thunder.

It was also cool that in the middle of all the debauchery we got a Thor vs. Captain Marvel fight that was very similar to Thor taking on Iron Man and Hulk in the first Avengers movie. I particularly enjoyed that since we may never see it happen in the films.

16. samsnee Ok

Worst episode of the season. The whole thing was stupid.

Stringer, Dark Raven and P Supreme like this.
  17. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

You mean the Ultron at the end was from the same universe as Episode 3?

18. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

No. I thought it was the same universe as episode 3 but it doesn’t work because of the different Loki’s… My bad.

Ultron Prime is coming from a totally different universe. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the one from King Killmonger (episode 6). Where Vision took over after Iron Man’s death and without anyone to oversee him.

#44 HammerDown, Sep 22, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  19. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

Also the Thor from Episode 3 is dead. :csad:

20. Venom 1988 formerly Ultimate_Venom

That and Thor died in that episode lol.

21. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Alright, Party Thor episode was super charming. Either it is my favorite so far or 2nd favorite. Super stupid, but oh so entertaining

22. Frodo Registered

I thought it was hysterical and much more entertaining than the Killmonger episode last week.

Yeah, it's dumb filler, and not earth shattering , but in this case, I was fine with that.

It entertained me and I liked it more than the last two episodes.

They basically got the whole cast of Thor back which was awesome.

Strange Supreme is still the best one imo, but I did have fun with this one.

23. javonstokess Registered

Man, some of you guys have forgotten that it's okay to have "Fun" stories...

Donner, Professor S, Flash525 and 4 others like this.
  24. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Fun is absolutely welcome, lol. I find Thor in the MCU has worked best when they have leaned into him being funny, and this dials that buffoon Thor up to 11, lol