What If..? Season 1 Episode 2: "What If...T'Challa Became a Star-Lord?"

And hopefully bring in like Simu Liu, Wyatt Russell, Teyonah Parris, Rachael Weisz, Florence Pugh and David Harbour, but also Iman Vellani, Tatiana Maslany, Oscar Isaac and the Eternals cast.

He hasn't been in it a lot, but the MCU has already treated Howard the Duck better than the 80's movie ever did.

i found this interesting enough

i'm not expecting a lot out of these. They're 30 minute shows and if i recall, the what-if comics were usually one and done issues too so a 20-24 page comic equaling a 30 minute show sounds about right to me?

i'm also torn on nice guy Thanos, and i like that everyone still thought his plan was genocide, no matter how he tried to explain it. i liked that T'Chaka never gave up on looking for T'Challa, hence the Wakandan space craft. it was entertaining enough to where i'm curious to see the other episodes

I didn't eXpect this to be relevant as the live-action shows. Its what If? anyway. What If in the comiXs aren't really essential reading. They rarely matter in the 616 stories. So this isn't something the MCU films will look back on for reference/story purposes. This is just something eXtra to watch for D+ subscribers. Its animated for a reason.

For me, I liked this episode more than the 1st as well.

I didn't mean relevant to the live action MCU - rather relevant to the story they were telling in that episode. The Carter story did what a "what if" story was supposed to do - took a moment in the story and then tweaked it in a logical fashion to see what would have happened. Carter and Rogers were connected so there was some relevance to that "What If".

T'Challa has NOTHING to do with Star Lord and Guardians so inserting him into their story is SO out of left field that it has no relevance what so ever. Instead of "what if" it was "what the bad place...?" and worse "who cares." It was a fun and often goody enough episode but it was so random that it was ultimately pretty meaningless as a "what if".

What's next? "What if the "P" in "Spider-Man" was a "silent P"...?

I didn't mean relevant to the live action MCU - rather relevant to the story they were telling in that episode. The Carter story did what a "what if" story was supposed to do - took a moment in the story and then tweaked it in a logical fashion to see what would have happened. Carter and Rogers were connected so there was some relevance to that "What If".

T'Challa has NOTHING to do with Star Lord and Guardians so inserting him into their story is SO out of left field that it has no relevance what so ever. Instead of "what if" it was "what the bad place...?" and worse "who cares." It was a fun and often goody enough episode but it was so random that it was ultimately pretty meaningless as a "what if".

What If in the comiXs have so many random storylines. The episode showcased What If T Challa was taken or adopted by Michael Rooker's character. It doesn't need to make sense in the larger mcu. Also there was no Guardians of the GalaXy in that episode.

Yea in the comics there was an issue of what if the Punisher became Venom and up until that point, the two characters had never interacted. Sometimes with What If its just small changes other times it's big out of left field stuff. Ultimately they're just alternate universes at the end of the day.

I think they should've told a parallel story of what also happened to Peter Quill since he was not taken by the Ravagers and how that affected the universe and turned out to be to everyone's detriment. Although it touched on it at the end and said it was for another story, I think for What If to be effective as a true What If story, it needs to show the negative effect of something not happening (or happening where the case may be).

So T'Challa being taken instead might enable him to thrive and reform the likes of Thanos, but Peter Quill not being taken leaves the whole universe in jeopardy. So really it had to be Quill and not T'Challa even though it would mean Quill was separated from his family. Otherwise it is indeed rather meaningless as a What If story.

i figured they were hinting at that because of what the Watcher said at the end of the episode. They didn't end Ep 1 that way but it kinda alluded to Quill not being taken and Ego finding him ending that world/universe

Last edited:
Yea in the comics there was an issue of what if the Punisher became Venom and up until that point, the two characters had never interacted. Sometimes with What If its just small changes other times it's big out of left field stuff. Ultimately they're just alternate universes at the end of the day.
To me, I treat them as something eXtra to watch, new content for D+ subscribers while we/they wait for the neXt MCU movie or series.

I watched all those pre-D+ Marvel live actions shows and in comparison, What If? Is decent, so I can't complain even though the animation could have been a lot better.

Didnt enjoy it as much as the first episode, perhaps too much was changed and it was tonally a bit all over the place (Thanos just stopped his plan because of a talking to??), Boseman was great though and held the thing together but it did feel a bit of a rush or perhaps I was expecting too much from the series I'm not sure.

Will see what next week brings.

Didnt enjoy it as much as the first episode, perhaps too much was changed and it was tonally a bit all over the place (Thanos just stopped his plan because of a talking to??), Boseman was great though and held the thing together but it did feel a bit of a rush or perhaps I was expecting too much from the series I'm not sure.

Will see what next week brings.

i would've liked a little more explanation of how he was talked down from his genocide. it was a little too squeaky clean for me

E86oBjgVEAYA44l

It will be heartbreaking and sad when his final episode airs. We are not there yet. :csad:

He’s such a noble character. :)

Wonder if T'Challa will be 'perfect' all the way through.

Just catching up on this first 2 episodes were okay loved Bosemans voice mail wasn't a big fan of nerfed Thanos.

Just started watching these, since the Multiverse is a thing now. I guess all the characters are canon now. Anyway, the only thing I didn't like was how they praised star-lord, it seemed so forced. Thanos somehow got weaker after he became soft and couldn't handle his old henchmen? He is still an eternal and a powerhouse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"