Season 2, Episode 7: "Anti-Hero" (SPOILERS)

2. Him thinking he needed superpowers to be able to stack up against the rest of his family... that needed addressing emotionally. That needed addressing by his dad, SUPERMAN... the very reason why his son feels inadequate.

I think this will be addressed in the next 1-2 episodes and the writers just want to flesh out this story more. This conclusion talk with him is really important to close this arc and without something like this, it will end with a bitter taste.

Interesting. I appreciate your perspective, as I did not view this as any kind of addiction scenario. I just saw it as, he juiced once or twice to cheat at sports, which I felt he deserved to be torn a new one for (especially after his brother had to quit the team because he learned those powers and sports don’t mix the hard way, by injuring Jonathan himself). Especially with X-K being less a drug, and more a military-grade weapon whose users nearly killed Clark on a couple of occasions (and literally did just get Bizarro killed). So I like hearing another side to it.

Thanks. I'm not saying he's addicted to X-K, but it feels really clear to me that if a 15 year old kid thinks achieving at sport is so important he's willing to risk his life by inhaling a substance that he has no idea how he will react to (and because he's kryptonian, there's a huge risk factor), then that kid is seriously not okay.

That kid is struggling. That kid feels like he has no worth outside of football. That kid feels like his girlfriend is the only person in his life that really validates him.

That kid could have died because he doesn't feel like he's good enough, and based on the total lack of parental bonding moments we see, it's not hard to see why.

It's heart breaking.

I expected this talk to be the moment where Clark realises just how bad things have gotten because of his absence and Jordan' issues always being the priority.

I really thought that's what was coming... so the actual scene was like a slap in the face to me!

I think Jon's parents would have handled it better if everything wasn't already happening at once. They were both under tremendous stress already — Lois worrying about her husband (arrested for treason) and sister (cult brainwashing), and Clark breaking out of jail and then failing to prevent a murder — which doesn't make their reaction to the surprise of Jon's situation right, but it was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Maybe I could accept this if Clark hadn't just had a scene of being forgiving and thankful to Tal, even suggesting one day he'd trust him to speak to his son who he tried to kill.

He then comes home like he's a bit exhausted but he's just hungry and happy to be home. He doesnt seem stressed.

And maybe I could even accept his anger if it was about Jonathan risking his life.

But nope... he was angry because of the family reputation and because Jonathan did something he taught him not to do. And he showed no empathy towards his son and no concern for his welfare. Which doesn't sit with me.

P.s. I had this niggle back in season 1 when he said to Lois 'if they're acting out, we'll give them a punishment' that I didn't love that parenting attitude but I thought it was a blip... guess it wasn't

Last edited:
This episode was a little weak, but still had enjoyable moments. Is that really it for Bizarro? I highly doubt it, but I wonder lol.

That scene with Jon trying to run off with X Kryptonite in school when the police dogs are right there... bruh, that scene didn't make any sense to me lol.

The Superman & Tal scenes were the best to me personally.

I look forward to next weeks episode though.

I loved this episode. As I have said, the super stuff is really secondary to my enjoyment of this show. I love mom Lois, and angry mom Lois is great. And I love her little talk with Lana. And it is a testament to Hoechlin's performance throughout this show that I physically reacted to his "dammit".

And I get if you feel for Jonathon, but he is ruining his life for someone who Lois and Clark only knows deals in a drug based on a space rock that grants super powers, that is potentially from a military weapon black market. HIs self esteem issues may be related to his taking the XK, but not protecting someone who is not only potentially hurting others by dealing the XK, but is involved in some serious illegal activity. Yeah, I understand why they came down hard.

Someone give Lana a mic to drop.

I am glad they brought in the girl from camp, rather than Sara jumping to Nat as her bestie. Especially with what Nat is going through at the moment.

I guess the bizarro/parasite/black diamond plot progressed?

And I get if you feel for Jonathon, but he is ruining his life for someone who Lois and Clark only knows deals in a drug based on a space rock that grants super powers, that is potentially from a military weapon black market. HIs self esteem issues may be related to his taking the XK, but not protecting someone who is not only potentially hurting others by dealing the XK, but is involved in some serious illegal activity. Yeah, I understand why they came down hard.

It might also be bringing back painful memories for Lois. Didn't she say something this season about having lived the wild life before Clark met her?

I am glad they brought in the girl from camp, rather than Sara jumping to Nat as her bestie. Especially with what Nat is going through at the moment.

There'll be an extra helping of teen angst when Jordan finds out.

Although I usually hate teen angst, I thought the scenes with Jonathan were great. Kid's a good actor.

Lana's daughter and her dramas are a distraction that feel like they're just there to pad out the run time. The show isn't called " Lana Lang" so thank goodness they don't waste too much time on all that secondary character stuff.

Otherwise some solid Superman stuff
good scenes with Tal Rho, Anderson being an *******, and Bizarro is always cool.

I seriously doubt that Bizarro's dead. We see a shard of kryptonite hit the floor when Supes blasts Anderson's gun. No doubt setting up Bizarro reviving himself - and he's too good a character to kill off so quickly.

After this little incident Supes would certainly not tell the truth about Bizarro's condition or whereabouts in front of the military.

Looking forward to future confrontations with Anderson - who's either insane or stupid, but still detestable enough for us as an audience want to see him get his ass handed to him.

Despite Tulloch having some decent scenes with the boys, Hoechlin still carries this show, and he's doing Superman proud.

I give it an 8/10.

Maybe on modern TV shows, but there's a lot of TV moms who would blow up at their kids even for something lesser than doing drugs. Of course, my go-to example is always Claire Huxtable.

I will always have a soft spot with the “you had BIG FUN with the WRETCHED!” speech.

Lana's daughter and her dramas are a distraction that feel like they're just there to pad out the run time. The show isn't called " Lana Lang" so thank goodness they don't waste too much time on all that secondary character stuff.

I’m just catching up and binging this season. But as much as I am enjoying the Superman stuff and even the Kent stuff, I cannot stand the Lang drama. I sincerely don’t care and that family drives me nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"