Season 1, Episode 9: "Loyal Subjekts" (SPOILERS)

I want Jordans powers to kind of stop where they are currently at and let Johnathan get flight/Speed. I still dont want them both to get the full range of Kryptonian powers.
I'm not expecting it, but that would be a great setup for an Eradicator storyline in S2 - their human genes "holding them back."

OMG, and in typing that it just occurred to me that if Jor-El created the Eradicator, he/it might refer to Kal-El as his "brother" and that's now who I wish Edge really were instead of Zod. Let me hang onto this hope for one week! :funny:

I wonder if any of these twists would give us an idea of who may or may not return for the 2nd season.

H’el! Now there is someone who needs to be revealed next week.

You’re all welcome :o

Bless you. :bow:

Jon and Lois to Sam this episode:

DefiantGranularFrilledlizard-size_restricted.gif

What's funny is that one of my friends had recently mentioned that Tyler's Superman had gone on the longest without having a "shirtless" scene when compared to his predecessors.lol
We were overdue!

A few things I'm appreciating on re-watch:

-Clark packing the kids' lunches. :hrt:

-Superman clearly, visually, using the kid gloves on those bank robbers. Like, you know if he punched them at full-strength, he'd easily kill them, so he used the ol' "super push" method on all of 'em instead. Except for two who got tossed, lol.

-The exchange between Supes and that bank security guard. First view, I was just excited that Supes was fluently communicating in Spanish, but this time, I appreciated the actual exchange - the guard checking in on Supes and making sure he's ok just as Supes did with him was a nice touch, imo. I love when they show the whole mutual respect thing between Supes and "regular" heroes (like here and when thanking Kyle for his efforts as fire chief in the pilot). A key part of any successful Superman story to me is that Supes needs to be just as inspired by mankind as they are by him. So those little moments are crucial to that aspect, imo.

-The first time around, I was too distracted by the...visuals, to appreciate Tyler's hilarious "gee willikers!" delivery of "I went to stop this bank robbery, and I got hit!" when explaining the bruises to Lois. :funny: He gets Clark SO well, oh my gosh.

You’re all welcome :o

Tyler is jacked up. He certainly fits the physical appearance of Superman. Glad to see he's actually packing under the suit and it isn't just extra padding.

Oh damn, I just remembered the 7734 clue. Hell. I'll be shocked if this isn't H'El now. :doh:

Morgan Edge can become H’el for next season.

A much smoother and better edited episode than last weeks for sure and I really cant wait to see how it all comes to together after all these reveals and hopefully it does pay off.

Johnathan is slowly becoming one of my favorite characters on this show aswell, especially after seeing him stand up against his grandfather, but I've liked his character quite a bit since the beginning.

I can't actually remember the last time I rooted so much for a character that I felt deserved powers as much this dude and Supes resuing the hostages in the bank while also speaking fluent spanish was dope asf.

Now we know how Edge can bully Larr with impunity. Powers and shared goals aside, he can remotely deactivate her Kryptonian identity with the flip of a switch.

Tyler is jacked up. He certainly fits the physical appearance of Superman. Glad to see he's actually packing under the suit and it isn't just extra padding.

I think Tyler is also glad that he doesn't have to wax like he did in Teen Wolf. He's done his mandatory shirtless per episode time.

Good episode. Loved seeing Lois and Jon give Sam **** for his "prepared for the worst" spiel.

Good to see the answer to how the new Kryptonians are arousing suspicion with their host's families. I figured Kyle would become one, but did not expect it so soon.

I loved how they clued us into something was wrong with Clark with that bank fight. Him taking a quick breath, like he was winded, when he arrived was a great choice. And the subtle reactions in the fight before it became super obvious when he was knocked down.

So, last week's episode, bolstered by Bitsie and Elsass's strong performances, was really good, but this one—to me—represents the quintessence of everything that's great about the show in general. And like Flick said, it does such a knock-up job at keeping the stakes high but also believable. For instance, when the Kryptonian body snatchers came for Lois, I had the worst feeling that she was going to end up hurt or worse. Thankfully, we were spared that would-be cliffhanger of an ending this time. The Edge reveal was a definite surprise, one that I should've seen coming. I'm guessing that he's Zod or (in terms of characterization) an amalgam of Zod and other Kryptonian villains, such as the aforementioned Eradicator.

I really like how the show consistently makes a point to illustrate Superman's preoccupation with the entire world and not just those of us who reside in his own backyard so to speak. De-power tropes generally aren't my thing, but in saying so, I recognize the need for them to advance your plot for whatever particular reason. One thing that bugged me about the episode, though, was seeing that Jon had somehow managed to procure Irons' solar weapons from an RV that was actively trying to kill him. lol I suppose he just went back after Supes did his thing and ahem, disabled the defense systems. Thanks, Dad! Speaking of dads, could Jor-El have been any more wrong about his namesake grandson's capacity for developing powers? Little dude went from super hearing to freeze sneezing over the span of just two episodes! Next up better be super speed, as he'll surely be needing it to keep up with Jon and Sarah. That hookup is all but imminent now!

Most of you probably won't agree with me on this next point, but I can actually sympathize with General Lane for taking precautions against Superman in the event he should ever go rogue. In a world as crazy as Earth Prime or any of the other Arrowverse Earths for that matter, you never know what can happen. And it's not like he was downright gunning for Supes, as was the case with Snyder's Bruce in BvS. Point being, those Kryptonite weapons he'd been busy stockpiling were merely part of a contingency plan designed to mitigate a worse-case scenario. Maybe Superman should've been kept in the loop, but even this presents a problem, as he'd no doubt use the info to his advantage in a mentally impaired or mind-controlled state.

You know, it just dawned on me how rarely I comment on the show's many eye-catching action sequences, which is interesting given the subject matter. But if that's not a testament to how well the more substantive elements come across, I don't know what is!

Last edited:
A much smoother and better edited episode than last weeks for sure and I really cant wait to see how it all comes to together after all these reveals and hopefully it does pay off.

Johnathan is slowly becoming one of my favorite characters on this show aswell, especially after seeing him stand up against his grandfather, but I've liked his character quite a bit since the beginning.

I can't actually remember the last time I rooted so much for a character that I felt deserved powers as much this dude and Supes resuing the hostages in the bank while also speaking fluent spanish was dope asf.

He seems to have inherited the best qualities from both parents.

So, last week's episode, bolstered by Bitsie and Elsass's strong performances, was really good, but this one—to me—represents the quintessence of everything that's great about the show in general. And like Flick said, it does such a knock-up job at keeping the stakes high but also believable. For instance, when the Kryptonian body snatchers came for Lois, I had the worst feeling that she was going to end up hurt or worse. Thankfully, we were spared that would-be cliffhanger of an ending this time. The Edge reveal was a definite surprise, one that I should've seen coming. I'm guessing that he's Zod or (in terms of characterization) an amalgam of Zod and other Kryptonian villains, such as the aforementioned Eradicator.

I really like how the show consistently makes a point to illustrate Superman's preoccupation with the entire world and not just those of us who reside in his own backyard so to speak. De-power tropes generally aren't my thing, but in saying so, I recognize the need for them to advance your plot for whatever particular reason. One thing that bugged me about the episode, though, was seeing that Jon had somehow managed to procure Irons' solar weapons from an RV that was actively trying to kill him. lol I suppose he just went back after Supes did his thing and ahem, disabled the defense systems. Thanks, Dad! Speaking of dads, could Jor-El have been any more wrong about his namesake grandson's capacity for developing powers? Little dude went from super hearing to freeze sneezing over the span of just two episodes! Next up better be super speed, as he'll surely be needing it to keep up with Jon and Sarah. That hookup is all but imminent now!

Most of you probably won't agree with me on this next point, but I can actually sympathize with General Lane for taking precautions against Superman in the event he should ever go rogue. In a world as crazy as Earth Prime or any of the other Arrowverse Earths for that matter, you never know what can happen. And it's not like he was downright gunning for Supes, as was the case with Snyder's Bruce in BvS. Point being, those Kryptonite weapons he'd been busy stockpiling were merely part of a contingency plan designed to mitigate a worse-case scenario. Maybe Superman should've been kept in the loop, but even this presents a problem, as he'd no doubt use the info to his advantage in a mentally impaired or mind-controlled state.

You know, it just dawned on me how rarely I comment on the show's many eye-catching action sequences, which is interesting given the subject matter. But if that's not a testament to how well the more substantive elements come across, I don't know what is!

I saw it mentioned in the comments of the Chainsaw Reacts video of this episode that it's more likely this guy: H'el (Prime Earth)

I think Superman is going to tell general Lane that he needs to keep those weapons stored safely somewhere Superman can't find them IF he becomes compromised in someway AND also make sure that no villain can find/access them. To me that's the logical route.

Another great episode. I hope he is not Zod as well, but it is what it is. I really like Hel from the comics I've read, so that would be something cool. Although I much prefer his comic book design.

I saw it mentioned in the comments of the Chainsaw Reacts video of this episode that it's more likely this guy: H'el (Prime Earth)

I think Superman is going to tell general Lane that he needs to keep those weapons stored safely somewhere Superman can't find them IF he becomes compromised in someway AND also make sure that no villain can find/access them. To me that's the logical route.

I'm seeing that H'el's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread as well. Not too familiar w/ the character myself, but I'd still be okay with him being used here, as Zod's been done to death. Of course, the CW may have opted to go with the more popular of the two so as to hook more viewers. For that reason, I can see them using the Zod name while basing his actual characterization on the Eradicator or this H'el guy. That's sort of what they did with Jordan, who was clearly inspired by Tomasi's adolescent version of Jon in the comics.

And yeah, Supes and General Lane coming to a compromise in this respect is a reasonable likelihood.

I can sympathize too, but he went about it all wrong. He should've been upfront with Clark about it from the get-go, instead of doing it behind his back. And he shouldn't have left all that stuff so accessible to anyone on his staff (or anyone who infiltrated his staff). He made it SO EASY to fall into the wrong hands. The way he went about the whole thing made it clear the well-being and safety of Superman and his family was not even a concern for him. Or at least was at the bottom of his priorities. THAT's why he deserves the flack thrown on him by Lois and Jon, imo. Not the sentiment behind the making of the weapons (even Superman wants those he trusts to have a way to fight him he gets manipulated or controlled by by someone else), but the way he handled it was both reckless and cowardly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"