Supergirl SEASON 6 EPISODE 10: “STILL I RISE" (SPOILERS)

Brierrose

Civilian
Reaction score
Official synopsis:

NIA SPENDS TIME WITH HER MOM – Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) intervenes when a building in the Heights that was set aside for low income housing is suddenly at risk to be sold to a major corporation. Supergirl recruits Orlando (guest star Jhaleil Swaby) to help her win over the city, but things go awry when Nyxly (Peta Sergeant) shows up. Meanwhile, Nia (Nicole Maines) trains with her mother (guest star Kate Burton). The episode was directed by Jesse Warn with story by Jess Kardos and teleplay by Nicki Holcomb & Jen Troy (#610). Original airdate 9/7/2021.

They released a preview/sneak peek today.

This episode felt all over the place. Pacing felt off, etc.

Seems like all of the shows between Flash, Supergirl and Stargirl have been lacking in the characters in their actual costumes or displaying their powers.

Anyway, wasn't crazy about this one. It was okay and the way they made the politician seem so awful with the whole tech company/housing thing. The tech company would have done wonders for National City too, but at least they tried showing both sides this time.

Main positive is things with Nxy are finally picking up and setting things up for the rest of the season

Quite the filler-y episode, imo.

Nyxly was the most interesting part. The actress is just pitch-perfect for that role, imo. Also enjoyed the Kara/Brainy scenes and always wish we had more of those. Looking forward to next week a lot though. I love me some Mxy and can't wait to see his dynamic with Nyxly.

The whole low income housing subplot, I feel, would've worked better on something like Black Lightning. Supergirl being topical has been part of its DNA since the beginning, so it's not a fault, but I didn't really pay a lot of attention to it. Was more interested in what was happening with Dreamer.

Though I'll never object to seeing Thomas Lennon again.

Performance-wise, I guess Nicole Maines did some good work. But she was saddled with material that was alternately boring and/or sophomoric. IMO. To be fair, that describes all the subplots of this episode. IMO.

Perhaps it's out of a sense of loyalty or completion (or masochism), but I'm determined to see this series to the end. But it is chore.

Apart from Dreamer and the last 3min this episode was yet another after school special and a waste towards a last season of a show. Stargirl is more mature than Supergirl as a whole

Overall an enjoyable episode. The PSA had me laughing, Melissa’s facial expressions are priceless. I think they found something everyone can get behind, it’s true that people should eat more vegetables. I think this episode had some of Nicole’s best work. It’s pretty amazing she came to this show three seasons ago with very little acting experience. Working alongside an incredible group of more experienced actors has done a lot to polish her natural talent. She’s not on the same level as her castmates but she’s eight years or more younger.

The reality is they basically had 13 episodes to wrap up as many of the series story and character arcs as possible while telling a new story. The most efficient way to do that is to use the same story to accomplish multiple things. An example is Nia needed to talk with her mom and Nyxly needed to be unleashed preferably in a way that Kara didn’t see her coming. So however successfully you think it was done they tied the stories together because it was deemed the best way to accomplish both goals. There may have been things they wanted to take longer with but ran out of time. There were probably things they wanted to do but couldn’t.

We know social issues are in the DNA of this show. I think Kara having Orlando speak is part of Kara not carrying the weight of the world on her shoulders. She alone doesn’t have to and in fact can’t fix it. I think that’s going to be Kara’s final character arc.

There were a couple of nice call backs. Kara talking about when Alex trained her and Kara mad and hitting things along side Kelly like she did with James. J’onn needs to get Kara a wrecked car or a reinforced concrete pillar to hit. Something that can take more than one punch when she needs to hit something.

Nyxly looks to be a formidable villain, Peta’s doing a fantastic job. Kryptonians are vulnerable to magic and they never really explored that before. I wonder if Nyxly will trick Lex into working together and double cross him. Nyxly tricking him could be part of his downfall.

Was a rather boring episode with all the housing plot.

I preferred this storyline when they did it with Batwoman...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"