The Walking Dead Season 7 Episode 15 "Something They Need" Discussion Thread

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
xRD05tC.jpg

[YT]lnnakwA0xP8[/YT]​

More like "Something WE need.....as in, actual conflict." Trust me, I totally get that the source material has always emphasized the dark side of humanity as the real threat in the event of an apocalypse. It's not a subtle theme. And for the vast majority of the first six seasons, the show has followed suit. I adore the comics, and I greatly admire what the show has done thus far. That's not the issue with this season. No, the issue is that this season has been simply a rubber-band stretched trailer to Season 8. Such a cynical and arrogant approach that definitely takes viewers for granted. Unfortunately, I have to concur with those who have said TWD used to be appointment viewing, but has become convenient viewing. I've loved the show since the pilot, so it sucks to admit, but it's true. I certainly think parts of this season have been compelling, and there are still 2 episodes to go, but overall it has been, at best, hit or miss. At its worst? A season not worth rewatching, except for the obvious highlights.

Last edited:
It certainly hasn't done much for me. :(

Guess, that rule is one to follow.

I liked that scene in the comic, but if you've read it you probably know what's coming next.

damn, thought Gregory was going kill her :eek:

Decent. That's becoming my operative word for many episodes this season- not bad, but not great. I get that the Oceanside stuff was to push the gun plot forward, but it didn't feel as engaging as the Hilltop and Sanctuary situations. Plus, really, Rick and company going in and robbing Oceanside blind- yeah, it's for the mission and greater war, but even though they said they didn't want to kill anyone but would, you can't distinguish between them and the Saviors at that point.

“Something They Need” was a predictable episode, which was basically set up for the season finale. It really felt stretched out. I knew by the end of the episode that Rick and co. would get the guns from the Oceanside (with or without the residents permission) colony. Thought it was very callous that Rick and co. didn’t leave them at least a quarter of their guns. I’m assuming the Oceanside colony will eventually join the fight next season.

We already knew that Gregory was a coward and couldn’t protect himself if his life depended on it. That moment where he and Maggie were taking on two walkers outside the wall felt pointless, imo. We already know that the only reason Gregory has made it this far was b/c he was sheltered behind the wall and the Hilltop mansion since the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. That scene was only there for his community to witness how weak Gregory is. However, last week’s episode already showed the community losing their trust in him after he didn’t do much to prevent the Saviors from taking their only doctor. We get it Gregory is a worthless coward. In the end that moment seems to have lead him with his decision to take Simon’s offer. So he’s probably going to rat out on Rick’s group to the Saviors, which is again isn’t surprising, but predictable.

They really are stretching out the inevitable death of Sasha for the season finale. Didn’t make sense why Negan was trying to get her on his side. I understood why he didn’t immediately kill Carl when he somewhat attacked (for lack of a better word) the compound b/c he’s Rick’s son and all. Doesn’t make sense why he’s keeping Sasha alive though. In fact he didn’t realize Sasha was apart of Rick’s group until after he killed “Rapey Davey” for attempting to rape her, which was against Negan’s rules. I know it’s apart of Negan’s mind games and his attempt to have her turn on Rick and co. but it’s getting redundant. He tried to break and convert Daryl into Team Negan, he somewhat made an impression on Carl, and he has converted (?)Eugene to Team Negan. So what little birdie told Negan about Rick planning something?

I figured Eugene would give Sasha one of his homemade poison pills after she begged him to help her find a way out through suicide. So Negan couldn't use her to betray the group. Speaking of Eugene despite his explanation to Sasha on why he converted to Negan I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and that he’s still Team Rick. He’s just trying to survive, while also enjoying Negan‘s hospitality, for the time being. At least until he comes up with a plan. That’s what I believe anyway.

Last week’s episode Sasha told Enid to protect Maggie, but instead she decides to join Rick and co. on a raid for a colony’s guns. Why? Rick and co. had plenty of people from the ASZ stepping up to help. You’d think a teenage girl would be more useful to a pregnant woman than a freaking raid. It felt pointless having her there in the end.

I knew it was Dwight, who Rosita saw hidden in the shadows. We’ve been waiting all season for him to turn against Negan so it was expected that he would form an alliance with Rick (assuming he trusts Dwight).

Not really expecting much from the season finale, but a predictable finale e.g. Sasha’s inevitable death, the communities joining forces with Rick at the end, etc. It’ll be a set up for the “war” in Season 8. Hopefully there will be some surprises but this whole season has been setting up the events of next season.

“Something They Need” was a predictable episode, which was basically set up for the season finale. It really felt stretched out. I knew by the end of the episode that Rick and co. would get the guns from the Oceanside (with or without the residents permission) colony. Thought it was very callous that Rick and co. didn’t leave them at least a quarter of their guns. I’m assuming the Oceanside colony will eventually join the fight next season.

We already knew that Gregory was a coward and couldn’t protect himself if his life depended on it. That moment where he and Maggie were taking on two walkers outside the wall felt pointless, imo. We already know that the only reason Gregory has made it this far was b/c he was sheltered behind the wall and the Hilltop mansion since the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. That scene was only there for his community to witness how weak Gregory is. However, last week’s episode already showed the community losing their trust in him after he didn’t do much to prevent the Saviors from taking their only doctor. We get it Gregory is a worthless coward. In the end that moment seems to have lead him with his decision to take Simon’s offer. So he’s probably going to rat out on Rick’s group to the Saviors, which is again isn’t surprising, but predictable.

They really are stretching out the inevitable death of Sasha for the season finale. Didn’t make sense why Negan was trying to get her on his side. I understood why he didn’t immediately kill Carl when he somewhat attacked (for lack of a better word) the compound b/c he’s Rick’s son and all. Doesn’t make sense why he’s keeping Sasha alive though. In fact he didn’t realize Sasha was apart of Rick’s group until after he killed “Rapey Davey” for attempting to rape her, which was against Negan’s rules. I know it’s apart of Negan’s mind games and his attempt to have her turn on Rick and co. but it’s getting redundant. He tried to break and convert Daryl into Team Negan, he somewhat made an impression on Carl, and he has converted (?)Eugene to Team Negan. So what little birdie told Negan about Rick planning something?

I figured Eugene would give Sasha one of his homemade poison pills after she begged him to help her find a way out through suicide. So Negan couldn't use her to betray the group. Speaking of Eugene despite his explanation to Sasha on why he converted to Negan I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt and that he’s still Team Rick. He’s just trying to survive, while also enjoying Negan‘s hospitality, for the time being. At least until he comes up with a plan. That’s what I believe anyway.

Last week’s episode Sasha told Enid to protect Maggie, but instead she decides to join Rick and co. on a raid for a colony’s guns. Why? Rick and co. had plenty of people from the ASZ stepping up to help. You’d think a teenage girl would be more useful to a pregnant woman than a freaking raid. It felt pointless having her there in the end.

I knew it was Dwight, who Rosita saw hidden in the shadows. We’ve been waiting all season for him to turn against Negan so it was expected that he would form an alliance with Rick (assuming he trusts Dwight).

Not really expecting much from the season finale, but a predictable finale e.g. Sasha’s inevitable death, the communities joining forces with Rick at the end, etc. It’ll be a set up for the “war” in Season 8. Hopefully there will be some surprises but this whole season has been setting up the events of next season.

And herein lies the problem with this show and why, even at its best, will never be great. It's too much filler. Everything said in this episode could've been said in ten minutes worth of screen time, rather than 42 (or has already been said). So much is pure filler.

I...hadn't thought of that bit about Enid, but yeah, aside from point a gun and ask Carl a question that could've come at anytime, she didn't do anything.

I'm not a writer, but I think you could've left Oceanside out of this altogether and just had Rick and company go to the Kingdom. They know the Kingdom has guns because Richard said so and he even showed Daryl his trailer full of weapons. More than that, as far as they know, Ezekiel isn't interested in fighting yet.

So they could go there, have a confrontation since most of the Kingdom residents don't look like fighters, and then have their reunion with Carol and Morgan, both of whom are ready to fight, as is Ezekiel. That sounds a heck of a lot more interesting than depriving Oceanside of their guns.

Finally this show is starting to pick up again after a weak start.

I was really hoping that Tara was going to get killed here. Oh well

I was kind of hoping that the confrontation with Oceanside would have had a bigger ultimatum. Something like, "You're hiding from The Saviors. Well, either you take your guns and stand with us or, we take your guns and tell them where to find you. Your choice."

^At that point they'd hardly be any better than the Saviors. They're pushing it as it is.

David's decision to rape Sasha was moronic. Did he think she wouldn't say anything?

I hope Eugene wasn't the stool pigeon who blabbed about Rick's plan to Negan. I want to believe he's just afraid and is biding his time until Negan becomes vulnerable.

I agree that keeping Sasha alive is ridiculous on Negan's part but at least she's hot. His failure to kill Rick and Carl was way less believable.

Gotta say outside of the first episode, this season has been a let down.

I wasn't really impressed with the Season 7 premiere, which (thanks to the cliffhanger) was basically a prolonged epilogue of the Season 6 finale. That whole episode could've been condensed into the first ten minutes without that pointless Negan/Rick road trip. Then the rest of the episode could've focused on Team Rick grieving over Abe and Glenn's death, them and the ASZ community coming to grips dealing with living under Negan's thumb, etc.

Instead episode 7.1 decided to drag out the reveal of the Lucille victims for 20+ minutes to rebuild the tension that was lost from the Season 6 cliffhanger. By adding a pointless Negan/Rick road trip so he could break Rick, who Gimple and co. claimed was already broken at the end of Season 6. :whatever:

The reveal of Negan's victims didn't have the impact the writers intended it to have on me b/c I was over the deaths/cliffhanger weeks before the Season 7 premiere even aired. I wasn't as invested in the reveal of the victims after waiting and speculating for over six months. I was ready to move on from it by then.

By the time we're allowed to see Rick and co. grieve over the deaths (the moment I was looking forward to most this episode/season) the episode ends. Then they had us wait three episodes later until we saw Rick and co./ASZ again. Adding insult to injury the writers decided the episode should take place three days after Negan's intro undermining Team Rick mourning over Abe and Glenn, which robbed viewers of grieving along with the group.

I didn't dislike the Season 7 premiere but I wasn't impressed by it either. This could've been a better and unique premiere without all the baggage from the Season 6 finale/cliffhanger being milked dry and the pointless Negan/Rick roadtrip, imo. Probably my least favorite of all the TWD premieres.

This whole season has just been a mess. This last episode was a slight step up from the last one maybe but it's still been one bad move after another. Rick and his crew just came off like a bunch of patriarchal a**holes who are A-OK with leaving a bunch of women and children without any means of defending themselves other than knives. I get that it's all for the greater good but this could have been handled so much better.

And oh yeah, Eugene needs to die already. I hope Negan beats his f***ing head in. I can't stand the cowardly **** anymore.

Agree. Eugene is a terrible character and painful to watch. The amount of cheese and cringeworthines surrounding him is unbelievable. I really don't know how the writers decided he would be a good idea.

Yeah. Whenever he starts up with his rambling bullsh**, I just zone out. He used to be funny but lately he's just become annoying as hell.

Count me as someone who has found this season disappointing also. I LOVE this show and thought the previous seasons were amazing, but this one just seems a long slog to get to the next by and large. This episode was no different in that regard.

I actually liked most of the first half of this season, which is a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I have to admit that a lot of this second half has been boring. They're dragging it out too much now. And Gimple wants the show to go on for 20 seasons? In your dreams, buddy.

Count me as someone who has found this season disappointing also. I LOVE this show and thought the previous seasons were amazing, but this one just seems a long slog to get to the next by and large. This episode was no different in that regard.

too much filler. This season did not need a second half. They should have cut a few episodes, condensed the material and aired it as a 10 episode season

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"