Season 7, Episode 2 "Stormborn" Discussion Thread

Considering she was supposedly one of the better reavers and fighting so hard to be queen, yeah. :( It was a little anti-climatic.

Even if she was going to go down easily to Euron to show that he is a badass, we should have seen at one point prior her doing something that shows why she's a realistic candidate for Queen. There's too many characters who coast on some revered reputation and we never see the proof. They get taken out easily in their first meaningful tussle. Judging by this and the fear Euron put into these guys even before he boarded, it was a farce that there was a contest between them to be leader.

I guess I was the only one who felt Cersei's utter disdain and lack of interest after Qyburn's big reveal? "Oh a ballista. Big whup!" And then he has her shoot it and she perked up after the bolt went through the front of the skull and embedded itself in the back of it?

Maybe the scales will protect the dragon but the bolt doesn't have to pierce as far as that one did to do damage.

Realistically, Yara has several disadvantages going against her. She's physically smaller and weaker than Euron who is a more experienced and brutal warrior wearing full plate armour and in the midst of a berserker bloodlust. Plus Yara was taken by surprise. Euron had her dead to rights.

I don't think the scene played it like that though as Theon was still portrayed as competent and smart in combat. Mentally broken yeah but physically...I'm not so sure.

On a basic level he was holding his own, and I'll chalk that up to him not being as badly mutilated in the show as he was in the books, but let's not get crazy here, Theon in the show has never been presented as an especially glorious warrior. There's no way he could have overpowered his uncle and his crew of savages, and there's no way he could have prevented them from slitting his sister's throat.

If the bolt goes through the eye the bolt would only have to break through the bone at the back of the eye socket. As far as I know, in mammals that area of bone behind the eye isnt as thick as the rest of the skull. And the eye itself isnt resistant at all. If one of the dragons is hit in the eye its probably ****ed. But think about these dragons flying. How they move and their speed. Hitting a flying dragon in the eye with a javelin fired from an immobile large ballista is going to be damn near impossible for a soldier thats never trained to do it and there is no good way to train for that. So I have a hard time believing anyone could hit one of those deagons in the eye. The only way I see this working is if the dragon is landed and standing still at rest and doesnt hear or see the bolt being fired from the bow.

Realistically, Yara has several disadvantages going against her. She's physically smaller and weaker than Euron who is a more experienced and brutal warrior wearing full plate armour and in the midst of a berserker bloodlust. Plus Yara was taken by surprise. Euron had her dead to rights.
Apart from being taken by surprise those all sound like reasons for him to quite obviously be the leader over her. Maybe Yara and Theon shouldn't have been contesting it if they were so out of their league and could have backed him instead (unless they had no idea of his abilities).

If the bolt goes through the eye the bolt would only have to break through the bone at the back of the eye socket. As far as I know, in mammals that area of bone behind the eye isnt as thick as the rest of the skull. And the eye itself isnt resistant at all. If one of the dragons is hit in the eye its probably ****ed. But think about these dragons flying. How they move and their speed. Hitting a flying dragon in the eye with a javelin fired from an immobile large ballista is going to be damn near impossible for a soldier thats never trained to do it and there is no good way to train for that. So I have a hard time believing anyone could hit one of those deagons in the eye. The only way I see this working is if the dragon is landed and standing still at rest and doesnt hear or see the bolt being fired from the bow.
How do you train to hit flying dragons (that many don't even believe exist) in the eye with ballistas (that are probably not widely available)? Is there a weekly class? :woot:

Might need to practice a bit, lol. :p

How do you train to hit flying dragons (that many don't even believe exist) in the eye with ballistas (that are probably not widely available)? Is there a weekly class? :woot:

Of course there is. Every week, Cersei climbs up to a mounted ballista, screams "Pull!" And the Mountain throws a traitor/thief/jaywalker from the wall.

Of course there is. Every week, Cersei climbs up to a mounted ballista, screams "Pull!" And the Mountain throws a traitor/thief/jaywalker from the wall.

LOL!

and yea it's gotta be the mountain shootin it, he's the only one that looks big enough...S*** he'd probably make it look like a regular sized crossbow.

If anyone ever wonders what taking a show too seriously is...

Maybe Qhyburn plans to build a bunch of ballistae/crossbows. If enough fire at the same time their operators don't have to be crack shots.

Maybe Qhyburn plans to build a bunch of ballistae/crossbows. If enough fire at the same time their operators don't have to be crack shots.

The Dornish used a "Scorpion" batista in their war against the Targeryens, the first Dornish war, famously killing Meraxes with an arrow through his eye. The scene in this episode was likely an easter egg for that story. The Dornish would run and hide from the dragons rather than face them head on after learning from Harrenhal and the field of fire battles. Qyburn's weapon is a modified Scorpion.

I like how things are coming together so far. The giant dragon heads looked really cool. The Samwell scenes continue to be some of my favorites and the special effects makeups for Ser Jorah's greyscae disease were gruesome. Arya's reunion with her Direwolf was a bit sad. I liked that they ended with a battle and it seems they aren't wasting any time this season.That was a hell of an ending.

Will be interesting to see what Jorah does now that hes a valid player again. I'd written him off to an extent apart from going out in a blaze of glory or less glorious way.

Am I the only one who thinks Sam will get his "Bilbo" moment and have the show end with him writing A Song of Ice and Fire?

i said that months ago. you probably got that from me :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"